Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sukhumvit Bangkok {THA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sukhumvit Bangkok {THA}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2017, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by robnc35
I'm surprised they still have free drinks by the pool for gold and diamonds at the doubletree
I've been waiting for that shoe to drop for awhile now.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 1:01 am

Programs: HH Diamond IHG Spire Amb MR PLAT
lol i will report back next week after my stay.. the only reason I'm staying there is finish up my 30 stays for Diamond doing one night at double and doing another right behind it at Suk hilton... i usually do just the conrad and the Sukumvit Hilton
Old Jul 19, 2017, 2:36 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
thanks cymro i wasn't expecting much from a doubletree but if your 3/3 thats encouraging
Well, I'm 3 for 3 for an upgrade into a high floor cupboard that's essentially the same as a standard room.

Look, it's not awful: the furnishings are nice, the lobby is impressive, it's convenient for the train - but I stayed in the Hilton Garden Inn in Mongkok (HK) recently and that is at least as good. The rate I paid in Hong Kong was also similar to DT rates I've paid in Bangkok, which should give you an idea of where it is in terms of value for money...
Old Jul 19, 2017, 3:18 am

thanks again I'm with the girlfriend on this trip so we will be out partying most of the night anyway and make the short walk hungover to the Hilton soi24 and sleep it off there
Old Jul 19, 2017, 3:18 am

the next day
Old Jul 20, 2017, 12:48 pm

Just wondering do they still have free breakfast at Doubletree for Diamonds? Seems like they stress 3pm check in as well i arrive at 1:30pm

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for being a loyal Diamond Honors member and for choosing the DoubleTree by Hilton Sukhumvit hotel during your forthcoming visit to Thailand.
Regarding a room upgrade in line with your status as a Diamond Honors member, this will be implemented subject to availability when you check-in. This may include the next best available room from the room type that you booked and Complimentary Happy Hour at Mosaic from 18:00 – 20:00 on all House Pours.
In order for us to prepare for your arrival and expedite your check-in process, we would be grateful to receive your room preferences, flight details or the estimated time of arrival at the hotel. Please note check-in is available from 15:00 hrs. The standard check-out time is noon.
If we may be of any further assistance please feel free to contact us via email at your convenience. We look forward to welcoming you to the DoubleTree by Hilton Sukhumvit Bangkok.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just wondering do they still have free breakfast at Doubletree for Diamonds? Seems like they stress 3pm check in as well i arrive at 1:30pm
They are required to give breakfast.

In the past I've never had a problem checking in prior to 3 but I have scant experience with the new regime at the helm.

This is from Jan 2107:
....please be informed that our check-in time is any time after 03:00 pm and check-out time at noon.

And from June 2016:
The Hotel’s official check-in time starts from 15:00, early check-in is available but is subject to room availability and may require an extra charge. Check-in before 08:00 will require a charge equal to 100% of your room
Old Jul 20, 2017, 10:08 pm

thx Dsquared
Old Jul 21, 2017, 1:43 am

Programs: HH Diamond, EY Gold, AY Silver, MR Plat
I have done a few stays at the doubletree next to the station. As a diamond, I would have expected a checkin at 11am if the room was available. But it wasn't which was fair enough. But then they offered early checkin for a fee. This happened to me twice and I was a bit disappointed as diamond it should be a perk if available not pay extra. But I like the location, so I will most likely stay there again, as I have loads of points to burn.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 7:36 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
My first time here, booked on points and upgraded to top floor suite, free drinks for diamond from 6pm-8pm is still ongoing. Also proactively offered late checkout of 1pm.
Kalboz and flockavelliFT like this.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 8:10 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Ambassador, Oneworld Sapphire / BA Silver
recent stays at the Double Tree BKK as Diamond member

Good morning,

I'm writing this from Bangkok, where I recently stayed 2 times at the Double Tree, once at the Hilton next door (both hotels are indeed connected) and 2 times at the Millenium.

Just to report on this property, as a Diamond i was "kind of" upgraded in october and november, although that means a higher floor Breakfast is nice and huge (it's the main one), no lounge access but a very nice 2 hours free drinks by the pool ! (if you want a lounge, book at the Hilton SUkhumvit, where I also scored a nice suite upgrade). The staff there is very nice.

Also no problems to check in early twice... + a late check out on the 2nd stay.

Overall a very nice property with great rates on a regular basis, and I like the fact that although it's not a "instagramable BKK infinity pool", you can actually swim there.

Have a nice day !
Sophie
Kalboz and kaffir76 like this.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 9:38 pm

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Thumbs up Quick update

Originally Posted by Sophie Lecomte
I'm writing this from Bangkok, where I recently stayed 2 times at the Double Tree, once at the Hilton next door (both hotels are indeed connected) and 2 times at the Millenium.

Just to report on this property, as a Diamond i was "kind of" upgraded in october and november, although that means a higher floor Breakfast is nice and huge (it's the main one), no lounge access but a very nice 2 hours free drinks by the pool ! (if you want a lounge, book at the Hilton SUkhumvit, where I also scored a nice suite upgrade). The staff there is very nice.
Also no problems to check in early twice... + a late check out on the 2nd stay.
Overall a very nice property with great rates on a regular basis, and I like the fact that although it's not a "instagramable BKK infinity pool", you can actually swim there.
Glad you enjoyed your stay. I had a pretty similar experience on my last 2 stays 2-3 weeks ago.
Both times no upgrade as the hotel was fully booked (there was a China tour group over Loy Krathong weekend).
In fact, the staff said they were overbooked (Hilton + DT) & I offered to be walked to the Conrad (but not Millennium Hilton) but she replied that they don't send their elite members away.
That was a bummer
I was given B800 credit from the mini bar as compensation for not being given the room upgrade.

My friend was staying at the Hilton so I didn't opt for breakfast at DT & instead asked for the 1,000 MyWay points.
All points were credited except for the 1st stay - MyWay points not in the account. I did inform the staff while I was in BKK on the 2nd stay and she said to give it some time. Which didn't make sense because all the points for that stay had been posted already.

The room was fine, I particularly liked the open concept of the bathroom, where u can slide the door and it opens up the sink area to the bedroom. I thought that was pretty cool. Allows some natural light into the bathroom & access to the sink at the same time ^

Overall quite pleased with the DT, I will likely stay there again. But yes, I guess points posting is still an issue.
The difference in price between DT vs. Hilton is about B1,000.

Originally Posted by dsquared37
They do not, to my recollection, have water in the lounge fridge.
Re: Hilton lounge - they do have glass bottles of water (Chang brand) on the counter top by the side, next to the fridge & I've seen a few bottles inside the fridge as well 2 weeks ago. Happy hour there is awesome!

I'm surprised they still have free drinks by the pool for gold and diamonds at the doubletree
Originally Posted by dsquared37
I've been waiting for that shoe to drop for awhile now.
The DT Happy hour is a simple affair served with a side of nuts, the wines are drink-able but my tummy can tell if it's the good stuff whereby after 2 glasses if I don't get a tummy ache then it's all good. LOL ...

One night they had a private event at the pool so they moved HH to the restaurant downstairs. The female bartender & staff at the restaurant were awesome, much better than the guys manning the bar at the pool.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 3:53 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Double Tree Sukhumvit Bangkok = Not my Favorite Hotel but Pleasantly Surprised

DoubleTree by Hilton Sukhumvit Bangkok

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

18/1 Sukhumvit Soi 26 Klongtoey Klo Bangkok, TH 10110

Double Tree Sukhumvit Bangkok = Not my Favorite Hotel but Pleasantly Surprised (9 Photos)

In general for guests with elite status in Bangkok, I think the price premium of full service 5-star hotels is worth paying for relative to select service hotels or hotels 4 to 4.5 stars, for example hotels without an executive lounge such as Four Points, Aloft, or Hyatt Place.  One could argue that Double Tree Sukhumvit is more than a select service hotel, but the fact remains that it’s not seen as being on par with the nearby Hilton.  For this reason, I never considered staying at DT in Bangkok in the past and instead I always booked at Millenium Hilton, Hilton Sukhumvit, and Conrad, because among other things I can get lounge access for free as a Diamond and get more bang for the buck at those properties. This month, for the first time I stayed at Double Tree because I needed 2 nights in Bangkok and I wanted to maximize the promo of 2500 Lufthansa miles per stay therefore I booked 1 night in DT and 1 night in Hilton; both hotels are side by side which allows for easy check-in check-out.  It was a very quick stay at DT, but I was pleasantly surprised by this hotel in several ways.

Room

First off, the two Hiltons in Bangkok (MH and Hilton Sukhumvit) have historically not been the most generous with suite upgrades so I did not have high hopes for DT.  Nevertheless we got an upgrade to a suite on the top floor and even got it at noon for early check-in and were allowed to check out around 1:30pm without any problem. The room is not luxurious, but I always value having the extra space.  It is a proper suite with the living room separate from the bedroom.  The living area feels a bit naked and could use more furniture; there are a few empty areas here and there.  Also the working desk in the living room does not have power plugs next to it which is odd, almost as if the table did not belong there and they ran out of ideas of what furniture to put in the room.  In contrast, the working desk in the bedroom has power plugs next to it.  The bed was comfortable and AC was working well.  The bathroom is built to a decent standard and in fact is nicer than the bathroom at Millenium Hilton which they decided not to renovate.  The only drawback of the bathroom at DT is that it is quite dark if you keep the sliding panel closed for privacy.

20180926_004151.jpg20180926_004208.jpg20180926_004245.jpg20180926_004316.jpg20180926_004435.jpg

Dining

The other favorable surprise at DT was happy hour. I knew the hotel does not have a lounge so I expected nothing at all for happy hour.  However DT offers unlimited drinks from 6-8pm which is even better than the 1 drink per person voucher they give at the nearby Hyatt Place on Soi 24. I guess if I had read the FT thread I would have known about happy hour at DT but I never felt the need to consider DT as an option so I did not bother.  The setting for happy hour is also surprisingly nice.  You sit outside by the pool and there is plenty of space between each table so it does not feel crowded.  They also had a small snack to go along the drinks.  The drinks menu is generous including several cocktail options. 

20180926_071350.jpg20180926_071907.jpg

Breakfast was also above my expectations.  Spread is excellent and quality was decent.  For example, some hotels only offer the same boring fruits… I did not expect DT to have passion fruit in the buffet, which I enjoyed.  In terms of hot food, there is a bit of everything for all tastes, soup, fried rice, a noodle dish, several vegetable choices, two fish options, etc.  The only negative would be the restaurant and its low ceiling – I would much rather have breakfast at the bright & airy Flow restaurant at Millenium Hilton.

20180926_212748.jpg

We also ordered room service for dinner.  Prices were reasonable considering that room service is normally more expensive than local restaurants; DT was not exceedingly so.  Food was good and presentation was nice.  

20180926_092040.jpg

Overall

Overall my conclusion is that DT is a decent choice in Bangkok despite the fact that I will continue to favor full service hotels for most of my stays, not only from the Hilton chain but also Hyatt, Marriott, and Starwood.  Many times the Millenium Hilton is only a bit more expensive than DT and sometimes MH is even cheaper than DT, so in those instances I question whether DT is good value for the money.  But depending on dates I think people on a budget who do not care much about an executive lounge, then DT can be a decent option.  You will get unlimited drinks for happy hour, reasonable chances of a suite upgrade, a good breakfast, all that for a location on Sukhumvit walking distance to a sky train station at a modest price.  

Double Tree Sukhumvit Bangkok = Not my Favorite Hotel but Pleasantly Surprised

Would you like to write a review on the DoubleTree by Hilton Sukhumvit Bangkok?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Sep 27, 2018, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by escape4
Nevertheless we got an upgrade to a suite on the top floor and even got it at noon for early check-in and were allowed to check out around 1:30pm without any problem. The room is not luxurious, but I always value having the extra space. It is a proper suite with the living room separate from the bedroom. The living area feels a bit naked and could use more furniture; there are a few empty areas here and there. Also the working desk in the living room does not have power plugs next to it which is odd, almost as if the table did not belong there and they ran out of ideas of what furniture to put in the room. In contrast, the working desk in the bedroom has power plugs next to it.
I stayed here often a few years and the suite is set up so strange. As it's nothing more than a second room who had the brilliant idea to not include the AV inputs in the living room? Totally mindboggling. Also, electrical outlets are either at the hallway door or behind the TV. Whomever designed this room lives in a cave.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 12:32 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Stayed here recently for five nights as we were on a 'budget'. It is a very good 4* hotel that will give many better named hotels in other countries a run for its money.

We received an 11:00 check in if we were happy accept any available room. As we had stayed here 12 months earlier, we knew the rooms were pretty much the same except on higher floors anyway.

Service is generally very good overall, complimentary breakfast is more than adequate (staffing can be a little bit slow at times but acceptable), and Happy Hour for elite members by the pool in the afternoon. Personally I am not a fan of executive/club lounges and rarely use them on vacation and especially in south east Asia where local (street) foods are amazing and I'd rather be out on the street than stuck in a lounge.

Obviously it is Bangkok so there are plenty of hotel choices and it is best to shop around as rates can be vary wildly.

We are booked in next month at the Hilton rather than the DT purely because for Hilton rates were about 500BHT less than the DT.

For those liking awesome noodles, there is a very well known noodle restaurant just 100 meters from the hotel. You exit the front lobby, turn left, and it is the noodle shop on the corner ... more info, is this one

Rungrueang (Rung Ruang) is great noodles in Soi 26 ? Streetside Bangkok

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.