Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sukhumvit Bangkok {THA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sukhumvit Bangkok {THA}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2014, 9:51 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Kacee
The fact that you had a different experience is not a "to each his own" situation - as that suggests his complaints are purely subjective - this is a "YMMV" and that is good to know when choosing hotels in a city like Bangkok where there are so many good choices.

Last edited by Diplomatico; Jul 13, 2014 at 9:59 am Reason: Not worth the argument
Old Feb 7, 2015, 2:38 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Review of recent stay

I arrived via taxi from BKK airport with a travel time of about 35 minutes with moderate traffic and the meter registered 259THB.

I was met at the door by someone taking my bags and showing me the way to check-in. Check-in was quick and friendly with the agent informing me of my Gold benefits including an upgrade to a Deluxe room, breakfast in the restaurant and happy hour from 6-8PM at Mosaic which is the pool bar area and is the only real bar in the hotel. I was also told that I could use the Hilton property next door including pool etc and charge restaurant items to my room at the Doubletree.

I would say the room is small by Bangkok standards but it is modern and makes good use of space. The bathroom area actually opens up on both sides to the room itself which does not bother me but I don’t understand why they make them in such a way that light shines through to the bedroom area when the partitions are closed as that is annoying when one person in the room decided to use the bathroom in the night. The bathroom is good sized with plenty of counter space and while I do find the mirror placement a bit annoying as your cant use the mirror while standing in front of the sink but not a big deal for me.

I had breakfast every morning in the main restaurant and it was excellent with a variety of Asian dishes including Japanese, Chinese and Thai along with standard western fair. Service was hit or miss at the restaurant with some times having very enthusiastic people constantly refilling coffee etc to other times not being able to get anyone to help. One evening I went to the restaurant to have dinner and after 10 minutes left as I could not get anyone to wait on me. I would say that service at Mosaic is better but not very proactive, you must chase someone down. Happy hour was good and not too busy which was a surprise. I actually like this setup as opposed to a stuff executive floor lounge. One more issue with the food and beverage was food consistency. One night the green curry is hot as fire and the next it has no heat at all. The same with a chicken stir fry dish I had, one night was completely different in preparation that the second night. I don’t mind if a dish is hot or not as I can eat it either way but it needs to be consistent as does all the dishes preparation.

The location is excellent with really good access to the BTS and Sukhumvit road with lots of good restaurants in the area.

So, I would consider staying here again but would just have to accept its spotty service and the fact that you never know what you will get with food and beverage.

Old Feb 7, 2015, 2:41 pm

A few more pics

Old Jul 13, 2015, 7:44 am

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
Just completed a stay.

I asked at check-in how were "upgraded rooms" different. "Higher Floor" was the answer. All hardware, according to them, were the same. Tripadvisor however shows a Superior with a small sofa near window and even a Suite with a bigger sofa. I did not get these rooms. I got a Deluxe which was what I reserved and which was the room in photos above.

I was on a one-night stay and the hotel at no time appeared busy (breakfast, pool, lobby) so perhaps it's this hotel's policy not to provide significant upgrades.

So no tubs. Small room with no enclosed closet, just an open rack. No mirror in front of sink. No real work desk. Fast (at least 20Mbps down) internet though.

All of which I can live with. But some here might disagree.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by tide
Just completed a stay.

I asked at check-in how were "upgraded rooms" different. "Higher Floor" was the answer. All hardware, according to them, were the same. Tripadvisor however shows a Superior with a small sofa near window and even a Suite with a bigger sofa. I did not get these rooms. I got a Deluxe which was what I reserved and which was the room in photos above.

I was on a one-night stay and the hotel at no time appeared busy (breakfast, pool, lobby) so perhaps it's this hotel's policy not to provide significant upgrades.

So no tubs. Small room with no enclosed closet, just an open rack. No mirror in front of sink. No real work desk. Fast (at least 20Mbps down) internet though.

All of which I can live with. But some here might disagree.
The rooms on some of the lower floors are longer and these have small couches. I've been in a few suites and none have a bath. On top of that the suite room has no usable outlets save behind the TV. The design is two regular rooms, one totally gutted with a couch and the bedroom is nothign more than a regular room. It's a very poor layout.

i like the extra space but would never pay for it.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 6:58 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond DL Platinum UA 1K, DL Gold, Marriott Gold
I continue to feel there is no choice between DoubleTree and Hilton.

For 4000 more points and a few extra baht you get a far superior room, lounge, breakfast and as a Diamond I am always recognized with an upgrade to an Executive Plus room which is enormous with great work space and great bathroom with Big Tub and separate shower.

I have been offered Suites many times and prefer the Executive Plus Room .

Still consider it unbelievable value especially if using Cash and Points
Old Jul 15, 2015, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by kapkap46

For 4000 more points and a few extra baht you get a far superior room, lounge, breakfast and as a Diamond I am always recognized with an upgrade to an Executive Plus room which is enormous with great work space and great bathroom with Big Tub and separate shower.

I actually prefer the DT breakfast to the Hilton lounge morning offerings but aside from that I agree the latter is a much better overall value if using cash and points.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by kapkap46

I assume you mean the Hilton is a better value over the DT?

Also - is this hotel close enough to Thong Lo to enjoy that area? I recall a very far walk from the BTW Thong Lo station to get the cool spots on the main road. I'm assuming therefore that this area is not much different than staying over at Terminal 21 and taking the BTS down. Although I do love sushi!
Old Aug 21, 2015, 12:50 am

Programs: AY Gold (OWS), Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dsquared37
-- the latter is a much better overall value if using cash and points.
I did a calculation earlier for a stay at the end of October;
C&P-rate vs. discover Asia rate

->the value per 1000 points was actually highest at DT;

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sukhumvit Bangkok 6,7 €
Hilton Sukhumvit Bangkok 6,5 €
Conrad 4,8 €
Hilton Millenium 3,6 €

For example; C&P-rate at DT was 8 000p. + 39 € (taxes incl.) while the Discover Asia
rate was 93 € (also taxes incl)

value per 1000 p.= (93-39)/8000*1000 =6,75 €

Last edited by Karjaluokka; Aug 21, 2015 at 12:54 am Reason: edit
Old Aug 21, 2015, 1:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Karjaluokka
->the value per 1000 points was actually highest at DT;
The cents/point calculation has nothing to do with which is the more desirable property. And that's the whole point of the post you are quoting.

Would you rather spend 8000 points for an "okay" property or 12,000 points for arguably the nicest Hilton in the world?

Just because Motel 6 is a great value doesn't mean I want to stay there.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 2:21 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
The cents/point calculation has nothing to do with which is the more desirable property. And that's the whole point of the post you are quoting.

Would you rather spend 8000 points for an "okay" property or 12,000 points for arguably the nicest Hilton in the world?

Just because Motel 6 is a great value doesn't mean I want to stay there.
Nicest Hilton in the world? I'm definitely going to give it a try in the Fall
Old Aug 21, 2015, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Nicest Hilton in the world? I'm definitely going to give it a try in the Fall
I don't know that Kacee was calling the Hilton Sukhumvit the nicest Hilton in the world but was simply making a point that value doesn't always come down to straight financial calculation.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 8:47 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mcgahat
I don't know that Kacee was calling the Hilton Sukhumvit the nicest Hilton in the world but was simply making a point that value doesn't always come down to straight financial calculation.
Yeah not sure I'm qualified to make that call, thus the "arguably" qualifier. Meaning I'll argue that it's best one I've stayed at The rooms are close to Conrad (Asia) quality. Service can be a little unpolished, but they try really hard.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Yeah not sure I'm qualified to make that call, thus the "arguably" qualifier. Meaning I'll argue that it's best one I've stayed at The rooms are close to Conrad (Asia) quality. Service can be a little unpolished, but they try really hard.
Interesting. Of course, it appears that the Conrad Bangkok has significantly better P+C availability for dates I am looking at (though I suppose it could change closer in).
Old Aug 21, 2015, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Interesting. Of course, it appears that the Conrad Bangkok has significantly better P+C availability for dates I am looking at (though I suppose it could change closer in).
Lots of debate over that call. Conrad is more elegant and polished for sure with a much nicer lounge. I prefer the Hilton location.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.