Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Marco Island Beach Resort and Spa {US-FL}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Marco Island Beach Resort and Spa {US-FL}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2005, 8:18 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by general45
.. I love the Marco Island location. ... There are good restaurants everywhere,
Please list a few!!

The poor restaurant choices on Marco Island and small pool size at the Hilton were the only downside points I have for this property. Have enjoyed our stays here otherwise.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 1:02 pm

Programs: SWA CP, HHonors Diamond, UAL 1P
Marco Island Hilton - Check-In Warning

Just returned from a weekend "babymoon" at the Marco Island Hilton with my husband, and wanted to post a quick heads-up about the chaos that greeted us at check in.

First off, we arrived early (11:30 - check in is at 4) and in no way expected that our room would be ready, which it was not. The front desk person advised us that our room was empty and was being cleaned then (and that we'd been upgraded to an ocean view room with a king bed). He took my cell # and told us we could change in the fitness center and use the beach and pool and that they'd call us when our room was ready... No biggie! Off we went.

While I was changing, my hubby was chatting with a fitness center worker, who told him not to expect to hear from the front desk any time soon. She told him that the hotel was having a problem with their housekeeping staff not calling in/not showing and that it was taking a VERY long time to turn rooms over. We filed the info away and headed to the beach, still thinking that since our room was "being cleaned" per the front desk guy, we'd likely be in early... or at least on time.

At 3:30 when we hadn't heard anything, my hubby walked up to the lobby to check and was told that our room still wasn't ready and that they'd call. We were a little surprised that it still wasn't ready, again not that we expected early check in, but because we'd been told 4 hrs earlier that the room was being cleaned and would be ready soon.

At 4:30, a half-hour after check-in time, we finally received the call that our room was ready. When we got to the lobby, it was absolute chaos with at least ten other parties waiting to check in and baggage on carts everywhere. We, as it turns out, were the lucky ones. Other couples were being told their rooms wouldn't be ready until after 7. One front desk worker said that several people had been camped out in the lobby all day.

We got up to our room and discovered that instead of the king bed that was "being cleaned" hours before, we were actually in a room with two doubles. Not normally a biggie, but I'm almost 7 months pregnant with twins and literally can't fit in a double with my husband and the pillows I need to get comfy. We stopped back by the front desk with very low expectations of it being rectified, and were told that they were completely full for the night but that we could move the next day (which we did).

Other than the check-in confusion, we had a very nice stay here and would return... but I just wanted to post a warning for folks not to expect early - or even on-time - check in!
Old Aug 21, 2006, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by Gilly

Other than the check-in confusion, we had a very nice stay here and would return... but I just wanted to post a warning for folks not to expect early - or even on-time - check in!

I stayed there for 3 nights a few months ago and, I have to tell you, I wasn't crazy about that place especially for the price.

Bobi
Old Aug 21, 2006, 10:31 pm

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond, DL Diamond & 2M Miler, Marriott Titanium
Do they still assess that silly "resort fee" for stuff you should get as a Diamond or Gold anyway? I had them back that off the bill the last time I was there. The property is dated, but the Diamond upgrades are very good.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 8:36 am

Programs: SWA CP, HHonors Diamond, UAL 1P
There was an optional $9 per night resort charge that included a lot of the normal diamond/gold stuff, but also included two beach chairs, unlimited local and 800 calls, and valet parking.

We did opt for it, as we were planning a lot of beach time and I wanted to spare other beach goers the horror of watching a ridiculously pregnant me try to get up and down from a towel. If you didn't pay the resort fee, it was something like $7 each, so it was well worth it. There was still an additional charge for an umbrella though ($14 a day).

The valet parking option was a joke - the self-parking is VERY close so we never used that amenity as we were pretty sure that it would have taken longer than just walking. We did use the free calls a few times.

As for the price, we were able to get a govt rate so it was comparable to other places that we were looking at ($146/night). We'd looked into it a couple of times in the past and seen rates closer to $275, and IMO that wouldn't be worth it.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 2:02 pm

As I recall the sand is pretty firm at Marco, you need a beach chair to be comfortable!

We stayed there about 2 years ago, before the room renovations. We mostly liked the hotel, had a great upper floor room. there was a lot we liked about the resort, the jet ski tour thru the mangrove swamps was really cool.

Actually debating if a return visit is in order or try a different southern Fl. property. Kind of waiting to hear about the new Hilton Ft. Lauderdale after it opens.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by Gilly
She told him that the hotel was having a problem with their housekeeping staff not calling in/not showing and that it was taking a VERY long time to turn rooms over.
I wonder if there's a chronic labour (or affordable housing) shortage in Marco Island so the hotel has to beg for labour in Naples? On my last stay (2 years ago) I seem to remember the housecleaning staff being predominantly Asian (possibly Filipino in particular?)

Had very good stays at this property in the past though it is very dated. Paid much better rates too (early-mid November).
Old Aug 24, 2006, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
I wonder if there's a chronic labour (or affordable housing) shortage in Marco Island so the hotel has to beg for labour in Naples? On my last stay (2 years ago) I seem to remember the housecleaning staff being predominantly Asian (possibly Filipino in particular?)

Had very good stays at this property in the past though it is very dated. Paid much better rates too (early-mid November).

I think you are right about the labor issue, when we stayed there 2 yrs. ago I remember the gal who does the hair braiding for kids telling us that nobody who worked at the hotel could afford to live on the island, all lived "over the bridge and inland".
Old Sep 17, 2006, 7:02 pm

Hilton Marco Island

Has anyone been at the Hilton Marco Island recently and if so, how was your stay?

I had been at the hotel several times and in past years and was scheduled to stay there last year in October, but the hotel was closed due to the huricane and I am again planning on visiting the hotel again this October.

When I had initially made my reservation in the beginning of the year, the website showed a charge for valet parking and nothing for self parking.

However, now it shows that self parking is $8.00 and valet parking is $12.00.

Does anyone know when this took effect and possibly would they waive that charge since I'm gold?

Thanks
Old Sep 18, 2006, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by SteveR325
Has anyone been at the Hilton Marco Island recently and if so, how was your stay?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ighlight=marco
Old Dec 3, 2006, 9:09 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Marco Island Hilton experience

Just stayed 3 nights on an HHonors Award and was quite impressed.
Kathryn (from England) at the front desk was fantastic and we had a room on the 9th floor with a killer view. Only downside was 2 double beds.
We did NOT pay the "resort fee" and self parked.
There are 3 restaurants amd the informal/coffee shop with a great view is best. With the Breakfast Coupons 6 full breakfasts were virtually free (its says continental but they credited us $12 per coupon)
Try Brian as your guid on the waverunner tour. Great fun.
Only downside was the ambiance of the REST of Marco Island where the average age seems to be at least 65. Not exactly a hot spot for younger people, but glad we went and got great value for HHonors points.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 9:38 am

Programs: HH diamond, Hyatt diamond, *wood plat, Delta Diamond 4th yr, SWA A List
two night stay Feb 2007 at Hilton Marco Isl.

Paid $ 299 night, plus $8 parking, plus $9 resort fee, plus $9 internet access fee. Recd two breakfast certs (had $13.00 value each).

As Diamond, was upgraded from "standard" room to "partial" ocean view-actually, I would have preferred to have the standard room looking at the garden vs room #630 which is facing the large abandoned building under construction/demolition next door. The construction noise was very loud and started at 530am on Saturday. I stupidly left my window open last night for fresh air and was awaken early this morning to backing horns and general bulldozer engine noises.

Pool is ok. Beach is great if you like sea shells. Weather is cold this weekend. Nice sushi bar across from the hotel and they have a humidor in the restaurant next door where they sell cigars.

Smoked salmon breakfast was good in the Hilton restaurant, service is slow and non attentive.

Tub didnt drain, called housekeeping, fixed it within minutes.
Room is good size with couch, two comfy chairs, empty refrig-great for keeping bottle of wine (purchased at Publix) and some cheese cold and a desk. Internet access is wired.

Overall, would I stay here again. Maybe. Didnt exceed my expectations, frankly, barely met them. Plus the weather factor seems to come into play so frequently when I visit FL in winter. Feels like it is either rainy or cold 50% of time. I'm back again next week, maybe it'll be nicer in Ft Lauderdale.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 9:53 pm

Programs: AC*SE, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, PC Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Plat
Feb 2007 One Night

Stayed one night in February with my family on a reward stay. Hotel was ok, but room and hallway on the 11th floor had an overpowering mildew smell and the hallway looked really tired. Upgraded to a decent ocean view, but as others have noted the hotel does not upgrade Diamond members to their 1-bedroom suites. Pool was decent but a little small. Beach is great if you love hunting for shells.

Would I stay here again? Perhaps as a stop-over, but I certainly wouldn't plan a trip to this hotel as a destination resort.

SG
Old Mar 20, 2007, 11:08 am

Programs: AS MVPG, AC E, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Snow Goose
Stayed one night in February with my family on a reward stay. Hotel was ok, but room and hallway on the 11th floor had an overpowering mildew smell and the hallway looked really tired. Upgraded to a decent ocean view, but as others have noted the hotel does not upgrade Diamond members to their 1-bedroom suites. Pool was decent but a little small. Beach is great if you love hunting for shells.

Would I stay here again? Perhaps as a stop-over, but I certainly wouldn't plan a trip to this hotel as a destination resort.

SG
I stayed here in Nov 2006 on a reward stay. Your assessment sums up my experience as well. There is virtually no recognition of Diamond members and I had to fight for a pool view room. I had a great holiday here with my family but the hotel barely met my expectations. I don’t plan on returning to this hotel.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 6:46 am

That building being torn down and rebuilt next to the Hilton is the old Raddison. It is being rebuilt as a Marriott Vacation Club property.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.