Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Marco Island Beach Resort and Spa {US-FL}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Marco Island Beach Resort and Spa {US-FL}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2022, 12:21 pm
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Originally Posted by arollin
Just got back from 3 days there over the long weekend. You don't get any real benefit for being diamond at this property. The pool is nice, the rooms are fine, but we were placed on the 5th floor (out of 11) in the room furthest from the beach, above a dumpster and the hotel was not full. There were plenty of rooms available in the front half of the building that have a better beach partial view and no dumpster view. There were plenty of rooms on the pool side. There were suites available, but they just give a big middle finger to diamonds at this property. The food credit that replaced the buffet is a joke. $12 buys a bagel and a coffee at the fast service location or 90% of a drink at the pool bar. Diamond complimentary late check out, nope not here. Asked the day before was told to ask after 8:00 ... asked after 8:00 was told to ask the next day ... the next day I was told to wait again and nothing, despite our checkout day being a Tuesday and the resort half empty.

Diamond status has been so devalued at properties like this that I really don't see any reason to work to maintain status.
@arollin - am I to understand from your post that the breakfast buffet referenced earlier in 2021 a few posts up is no longer being offered for diamonds?
Old Feb 2, 2022, 1:15 pm
qed

Programs: American LTG, Bonvoy G, Hilton LTD
Recently finished a family vacation split been the Hilton Marco Island and the Marriott Vacation club next door. At the Hilton, the hot tub has apparently been broken for months. It's open to get in but the water is not hot and the jets don't work. Even the regular pool seems cooler to me than it was pre-pandemic. As LTD I felt my treatment at check-in was good : my points-paid rooms were on higher floors and with good partial ocean views. I don't expect suite upgrades in season at resort hotels. I booked 5-night stays before the standard redemption went from 80K to 90K a night, so I used 64K points a night. Comparable cash stay with taxes and fees would probably been at least $500/night. The food and drinks in the restaurant were good and reasonably priced. I didn't go down to breakfast so I don't know if the buffet is still offered. Overall, I would return to the Hilton but I'd like to see the hot tub fixed.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 4:27 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 4MM; Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
Does anyone know what type of coffee maker they have in the rooms? Is it a Keurig or the "standard" one with the coffee pucks that are in foil wrap?

Looking to see what coffee I might want to bring along on a trip there in early April...

Thanks,
--woodstock
Old Feb 15, 2022, 10:07 pm

Any recent stays??

I have next month on points when cash rate is $1300 a night.
Pretty concerned about reviews on the internet,

Any new insights?
I know this thread is from last century.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 10:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by writetorich
I have next month on points when cash rate is $1300 a night.
Pretty concerned about reviews on the internet,

Any new insights?
I know this thread is from last century.
What are your specific concerns?
Old Feb 16, 2022, 12:09 pm
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Just returned from an extended stay there. Overall it was fine, not sure I'd recommend it though.

-Status doesn't really matter here. As a Diamond was offered no upgrades (in fact, I was given a low floor room over the loading dock with 7AM garbage truck wakeups). They would not let me pay the difference for a larger room either, even though it was available to be booked online. Offered a 90-minute later checkout as a Diamond (to 12:30 from 11AM), but only on 1/2 rooms on the reservation; front desk staff told me that was because they were "sold out" - in fact not true as reservations could be made online at the same time, so I think the staff there must be trained to parrot that line whenever someone asks for an accommodation.
-Unlike others reported in this thread, I was not comped the resort fee or the parking, status notwithstanding.
-Service was inconsistent at best, we didn't get housekeeping a few of the nights for unknown reasons, even though housekeeping staff were working on the floor.
-Rooms were generously sized but could do with an refresh.
-Breakfast was way overpriced for what it was. $15/person Diamond food and beverage credit (only for 1 room, not both in the reservation) didn't even cover an oatmeal and coffee. Omelet station was staffed during our stay but nothing special. $24/person for the buffet is kind of a joke, I've seen Hampton Inns with a better spread. Highly recommend Doreen's down the street for less money and way better food, just go early to beat the rush.
-Hot tub still broken and tiny; how is this acceptable for a $1000+/night property?
writetorich and BigFishDave like this.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 12:34 pm
Suspended

The problem is that, in season, the two main Marco hotels can charge what they want and get away with poor overall service. The JWM is obviously the much better property, but the Hilton will have close to 100% occupancy between Thanksgiving and Easter, with many people staying either one or two full weeks, so getting upgrades for an extended stay are difficult to achieve.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 11:21 pm
qed

Programs: American LTG, Bonvoy G, Hilton LTD

On my last stay a few weeks ago, I got a little box of chocolates recognizing my status (see pic). Sure, a small gesture but I appreciated it. As I reported above, I was given higher floor rooms (8 and 10) with partial ocean views. I was on the back half of the sunny side of the hotel where the Marriott building blocks some of the view but the sun on the balcony felt good. Regarding dwbf11 report, the policy is that resort fees are waived on point stays (which is a Hilton plus over Marriott) but not just for status, and the F&B benefit is too small and limited to one room. These are just Hilton policies, doesn't seem fair to ding Marco for following policy. One nice feature is that a beach umbrella and two chairs are provided free, not all beach hotels do that. The cash rates are high in season so buy points whenever Hilton runs the 100% bonus sale. And finally, I have to agree that failing to fix the one small hot tub is inexcusable.
writetorich and Armani like this.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 8:47 pm

Thank you QED and DWBF11 for your brand new feedback!!!! Much appreciated!

LondonElite-- My concerns is the reviews on tripadvisor. Not so concerned with an upgrade.
Seems like the best expected experience would be "perfectly pleasant , nothing to write home about" and a realistic bad story would be ".Nah should not have done that "

yeah I bought the HHonors points at 50 basis points , but when I think of the former Waldorf Boca beach Club in Boca Raton, --- at 70,000 and then 80.000 points. I get noslogic and miss the "salad days" I think that is ore the nicest resorts in country.

what do FT'er think of La Quanta Club and resort ( a recently rebrand Waldorf to a Curio) or the Arizona Biltmore . Anyone have recent stays at these two properties?
Traveling single dad, with 10 year old kid.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 9:02 pm
Suspended

I think that’s right. It’s a perfectly ok place. No Hilton is ever going to wow anyone, and there is no way it’s worth $1,300 a night. A bit like there is no really good restaurant on Marco Island, there’s no really good hotel, if you’re a little bit discerning.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 5:53 pm

A result of pent up demand for domestic travel -due to COVID

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I think that’s right. It’s a perfectly ok place. No Hilton is ever going to wow anyone, and there is no way it’s worth $1,300 a night. A bit like there is no really good restaurant on Marco Island, there’s no really good hotel, if you’re a little bit discerning.
So I had some points from an Aspire sign up which I used elsewhere.
I bought points at 50 basis points. So at 95K with a fifth night free, I am in for 380K for five nights. That's a $1900 cash purchase.
So my cost is a tad under $400 with the resort fee and taxes backed out. So really an effective $300 ish a night, if one were to add taxes and resort fee,

I was just really surprised that the market would tolerate mediocrity at the $1300 price.
But , I'm speculating that there is such a pent up demand for domestic travel with the two years of Covid hell that we have lived under.
My favorite use of Hilton Points used to be Waldorf Astoria Boca Beach Club. They dropped the Waldorf flag and are independent.
But they also have cash rates available similar to Marco Island Hilton.
If I did not have a stockpile of points , I would pay at The Boca Raton.

Any other suggestions??
A beach/Ocean is not an absolute requirement.
My kid is 10 , likes HEATED pools and tennis,
It does not need to be Florida. but anticipated want weather equal to or better,
Any suggestions?
I looked biltmore, La Quinta but i HAVE REALLY CHEAP FLIGHTS TO RSW.
Oh I also do not want my elementary school aged daughter in a locale heavily dominated by unchaperoned college age spring breakers traveling without their parents.
I looked at Hilton Naples , But did not see the value proposition despite the really nice reviews.

I don't mind repositioning to east coast of Florida keeping RSW flights , but then the college aged Spring breakers?
what about Singer Island Hilton?
It needs to a Honors property because I NEED to burn points and the $250 resort credit ( Aspire) is appealing.

Last edited by writetorich; Feb 22, 2022 at 9:36 am
Old Feb 21, 2022, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
I havent been there since covid but for a trip with a kid this time of year i think Marco Island could be perfect. Weather likely to be stellar. Low risk of spring break a-holes (full disclosure I was one during the Reagan administration .) There is so much to do including air boat tours and horseback riding and outlet shops within an hour or so drive. Sprinkle in a couple of days poolside and I think you have a winner.
writetorich likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 9:45 am

Smile I just figured out I must be a Flyertalker for 20 years!

I'm paying sub $400 all in with the points and miles but and I'm expressing doubt about the quality of the property!
I'm sure . I'll have a nice $400 a night experience for a premium priced high peak period K-12 school vacation week. What am I complaining about?
More important to me, my daughter will have a great time.

Thanks pauleeepaul for the airboat tip. I looked at it and it seems great.
oh wow and during Reagan's second term , I was also one of those Spring breakers!
( Needed to qualify that it was his SECOND term , did not want to date myself LOL)
As George W. was fond of saying ( or his handlers told him to say ) when I was young and foolish, I was young and foolish.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 10:31 am
Suspended

I think it’s always a mistake to compare the points cost to the cash prices you see on the website. For fun I was looking through prices at the JWM around Christmas and NY and would see prices well north of $1,200. There is no way any room there is worth that, nor is the location that compelling. Prices get that high because occupancy is high, meaning all restaurants are full, the hotel is packed, the pool becomes what English people would call chav soup, etc. The Hilton is worth maybe $400 a night given room quality and location, beyond that I’d look at other places.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 7:59 pm

I think it’s always a mistake to compare the points cost to the cash prices you see on the website. For fun I was looking through prices at the JWM around Christmas and NY and would see prices well north of $1,200. There is no way any room there is worth that, nor is the location that compelling. Prices get that high because occupancy is high, meaning all restaurants are full, the hotel is packed, the pool becomes what English people would call chav soup, etc. The Hilton is worth maybe $400 a night given room quality and location, beyond that I’d look at other places.
$1200 is not just the "festive week"-- It's most of the winter season.
There has been tremendous wealth created in this country the last 15 years.
There are more Hedge Funder,and wealthy people who work for Private Equity firms than rooms.
And even the lowly --- ( compared to private equity and hedge funders ) Am Law 200 equity partner lawyers and Investment bankers are willing to pay that.

It's a function of supply and demand.
The market price is what a willing non coerced buyer is willing to pay a seller who is not in distress.
And that is $1200 +for a basic room.

But I'm happy getting in for $400 and even as a diamond will seek a paid step up for a nicer room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.