Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Embassy Suites Monterey Bay - Seaside {US-CA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 20, 2017, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Embassy Suites by Hilton Monterey Bay Seaside

1441 Canyon Del Rey, Seaside, California, 93955, USA
TEL: +1-831-393-1115
FAX: +1-831-899-1928
Website

Self-Parking $14.00 nightly
Shuttle: no
Pets: no
Smoking: no (outside area for smokers)
Driving times to / from:
MRY - 10 minutes (2 miles)
SJC - 1.5 hours (70 miles)
SFO or OAK - 2.5 hours (~100 miles)
Room tips: avoid suites with connecting doors; the door isn't well insulated.

Avoid suites -00 through -03 and -11 through -14, as they're in corners with the elevators / lifts.

Avoid lower floors for street noise.

Amenities
225 non-smoking suites with separate bedroom and parkour (dining / living area), with WiFi access, two remote control televisions, a wet bar, fridge, microwave, in room safe
Indoor pool
Fully-equipped fitness center
Open-air atrium lobby
Business center 24 hrs
Complimentary daily made-to-order breakfast
Complimentary Evening Reception
Located two blocks from beachfront
Bay views available
Room service
Coin laundry ($2 for washing, $2 for drying; soap etc. at gift shop)
Gift shop
Nearby shopping, dining
Downtown Monterey 10-20 minutes away, depending on traffic conditions

Dining
Complimentary breakfast in atrium
In room dining: 11:30 am - 1:30 pm & 5:00 pm - 11:00 pm?
Silver Tides Bar & Grill Open Daily: 11:30 am - 1:30 pm & 5:00 pm - 11:00 pm
Sample Restaurant Menu (link to PDF)
Sample Wine Menu (link to PDF)

Bayside Coffee & Trading Co. Starbucks coffees, limited hot and cold beverages, quick snacks and gifts, souvenirs.

Print Wikipost

Embassy Suites Monterey Bay - Seaside {US-CA}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2017, 10:54 am

Programs: Delta Platinum/1MM, Hilton Diamond
It should be noted that this property is currently undergoing a full renovation at the moment. A note on the web sites anticipates a completion date of July 15, 2017.

With three weeks to go, that may be a bit ambitious.

There is construction everywhere with the atrium and the third elevator in the back totally unavailable. Breakfast and the manager's reception are being held in a side meeting room. (The breakfast is buffet-only at the moment. No omelets are available.)

Not all rooms were in service, but I believe all available rooms have been renovated. The renovated rooms now have a newer grayish-white decor. The tub has been replaced by a glass-enclosed walk-in shower. There are additional outlets on the nightstand. The door locks now support Digital Key.

There was a sign stating the restaurant and bar were still open, but I didn't walk through the maze of construction paths to verify it.

I wasn't charged the parking fee.

I just needed a place to sleep, and I was there one night so it worked for me. If I was staying any longer, then I may wish to choose someplace else until the renovations are done.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 11:10 am

Back from another one-night stay at this property. Parking fees are back. $14/night now.

Renovations are still going on, but they are much closer to being finished. The atrium is now a bunch of tables and chairs instead of the fountains and running water. Too bad because I liked that ambiance. The good news is that there is much more plentiful and comfortable seating for breakfast. The omelet station is back.

My room was renovated but it had that musty aroma when I walked in. Not sure how often they change the air filters. I was very close to going back down to request a different room, but I was too lazy to do so. If I was with my wife (who is super sensitive to such things), I would have.

Oh, I don't think it has been noted previously, but there's now an In-N-Out Burger within walking distance of the hotel. That and the Chili's across the parking lot are good food options.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 12:21 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Yes, $14 daily parking is here. A dashboard permit is issued.

On arrival, FDC Kenya was very helpful at consolidating our serial bookings, keeping us in the same room. Maria the next day was also very helpful. Staff in the whole are welcoming and helpful. ^

We're on the 12th (highest) floor for three days. ^

Refurbishment is ongoing, noticeable in lobby area, still some power tools noise daytime (but it can't be long now until they're finished). The appearance is much more modern, brighter. ^ The surfaces are hard, the sound profile loud; you can hear people enjoying the Afternoon Reception in your 12th floor room.

Street noise can be heard easily; the insulation isn't that good (even with double pane windows). You can hear guests next door, particularly if the rooms have a connecting door.

Shower had warm water cooling to tepid and going to cold; shower stream stopped for a bit without any intervention on my part. The water at sink, shower and toilet cut off unpredictably, and air sometimes emanated from the faucet, during our three night stay.

"High speed" WiFi is far slower than my T-Mobile connection. After 24 hours, the system disconnected and gave me "Invalid Guest Credentials - Hmm! We couldn't find you. Please verify that you entered yorvLast Name and Room Number correctly. Code 350" After trying again, then trying a code on my card envelope, "Honoredguest" (which didn't work either), I called. They can not figure out why my last name and room number worked earlier, but no longer work, and the code printed on my key envelope is an obsolete code. Eventually the nice FDC called back with another code.

The advertised restaurant hours are incorrect; the names are as well. The main restaurant is NOT open for lunch, though the bar part is and they will serve from the restricted menu. The in room menu mentioned in the hotel room guide does not exist. The menus available online are from 2016.

Miguel at the newly renamed Silver Tides Bar & Grill was very helpful. ^

The Afternoon Reception offers bar snacks and three beers on tap, including a Goose Island IPA and a local Golden. ^

I'll add as our stay progresses.
Attached Images  

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 21, 2017 at 8:36 pm Reason: Adding the good and the bad.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 9:44 am

Renovations 99% done

Just returned from a four night stay. Renovations are mostly done (finishing touches on hot food station after which makeshift set-up in dining area will be dismantled). A water feature is also being installed in the elevator bank closest to entrance. The renovation looks great - contemporary rather than modern.

Stayed in suite 813, a corner on the southwest side. This suite does have a connecting door, but it is situated in the wall farthest away from sitting area and bedroom. The room was occupied but we didn't hear any noise at all. The -13 stack is nice because it is set back from the hallways so you don't hear noise from the elevator, passersby or the lobby.

Service is superb across the board - front desk, breakfast servers, housekeeping, everyone is super friendly.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 5:06 pm

Programs: OZ *G, HHonors Gold, Aclub Plat
I stayed here last weekend and had a great stay. Relatively good beer at happy hour and no parking charge for Diamond.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 10:03 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by calvinoeh
I stayed here last weekend and had a great stay. Relatively good beer at happy hour and no parking charge for Diamond.
It seems they now charge the $14 parking to everyone, including Diamonds.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 5:56 pm

Does anyone know why they are not booking past January of next year? Are they leaving the Hilton family? I've tried calling but get no answer, call reservations and just get a recording about them being a covid/first responder property. But they are booking regular rooms for January, just not beyond.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 6:58 am

It looks like this property has fallen to the "Destination Charge" scam. The property page now shows "Daily Mandatory Destination Charge will be added to the room rate and includes: Premium guest internet access; $15 daily food and beverage credit; self-parking; 2-hour bike rental; beach equipment rental including towels, chairs, and toys; 2 reusable water bottles refillable throughout stay."

The charge is $30.

I like this property, but it is not even even on the beach to warrant beach equipment rental. And a daily food/beverage credit when breakfast is free? The previous parking charge was high enough, but this may push me away from this property for good. The nearby HGI, while it still charges an unreasonable parking fee, may be my property of choice in the area.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by Smaug
It looks like this property has fallen to the "Destination Charge" scam. The property page now shows "Daily Mandatory Destination Charge will be added to the room rate and includes: Premium guest internet access; $15 daily food and beverage credit; self-parking; 2-hour bike rental; beach equipment rental including towels, chairs, and toys; 2 reusable water bottles refillable throughout stay."

The charge is $30.

I like this property, but it is not even even on the beach to warrant beach equipment rental. And a daily food/beverage credit when breakfast is free? The previous parking charge was high enough, but this may push me away from this property for good. The nearby HGI, while it still charges an unreasonable parking fee, may be my property of choice in the area.
I have mixed feelings about this info. If you pay on points, you don't pay the resort fee, and that actually makes parking free. But the rest of the amenities are pretty weak. However, they do have an on-site restaurant (or they did when we stayed there) so you could use the $15 f&b credit for something there, and still get the usual free ES breakfast in the morning.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Just stayed at the ES. No one mentioned the "destination fee" of $30. Talked to the Front Desk about it...we booked a couple of months ago and it doesn't appear on our booking. The Front Desk attitude was "oh well".

A little disappointed, but as we stay there 3-4 times per year, I guess we learned something for the future.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by BlueZebra
Just stayed at the ES. No one mentioned the "destination fee" of $30. Talked to the Front Desk about it...we booked a couple of months ago and it doesn't appear on our booking. The Front Desk attitude was "oh well".

A little disappointed, but as we stay there 3-4 times per year, I guess we learned something for the future.
If it was added after you booked, you absolutely deserve a refund.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 6:12 am
Company Representative - Honors by Hilton

Programs: Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by BlueZebra

If this was not on your original reservation, you 100% need to open a case with customer service. I would suggest sending an email to [email protected] to do so.

Best regards,

William
SPN Lifer, BlueZebra and dmarge18 like this.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by Hilton Honors Ambassador
If this was not on your original reservation, you 100% need to open a case with customer service. I would suggest sending an email to [email protected] to do so.

Best regards,

William
Thanks. Wrote them a couple hours ago.

UPDATE: $30 refunded. Thanks again William!

Last edited by BlueZebra; Apr 9, 2022 at 7:28 am
Old Jul 13, 2022, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
I've got a weekend trip here on points coming up in a few weeks. Sounds like parking will be free since no destination fee on points bookings correct? Any diamond upgrade experiences or should I just request high floor with view?
Old Jul 13, 2022, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by iceman77_7
I've got a weekend trip here on points coming up in a few weeks. Sounds like parking will be free since no destination fee on points bookings correct? Any diamond upgrade experiences or should I just request high floor with view?
Upgrades for Diamonds is not an Embassy Suites benefit. If you get anything, you got lucky. We always book a " Bay View" room.

Been hearing rumors about the Embassy Suites chain limiting drinks at Manager's Reception. Be interested to hear your experience. Our next booking there is mid December...we stay there 3-4 times per year.

Can't answer your question about the destination fee. A thought..."resort" fees are waived for award bookings. But a "destination" fee? Might be a strategic naming choice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.