Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Adam Burke's response on using "old" rewards chart certificates after June 1, 2003

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Adam Burke's response on using "old" rewards chart certificates after June 1, 2003

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2003, 10:45 am
Original Poster

IMHO, Adam already answered that question (no matter what example was used).

Any chance you would just take yes for an answer?

The only thing that is unclear is what happens when a new property opens after June 1 (leave it to FT'ers to come up with a scenario that HH folks didn't think of ).
Old May 30, 2003, 11:00 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Eugene:

</font>
I'd love to. It's just that I would feel a lot more comfortable if I could have something in writing that would help me make sure that not only I take yes for an answer, but also whoever will have to accept my certificate at check-in .

Old May 30, 2003, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Eugene:

</font>
So Eugene, from my reading of your post (and Adam's) you think it is correct that if I made a TEEN reservation on May 30 for let's say February 2004 and the TEEN award was issued on May 30 (points deducted), then I have to change the dates later to say April 2004 (which of course comes prior to June 2004, and assuming award availability exists) that the present 100,000 points would be sufficient?

Or is that not being able to take yes for an answer? I guess we would find out anyway by calling after June 1, 2003 and trying to change the dates.

Thanks.
Old May 30, 2003, 11:09 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by OB one:
So Eugene, from my reading of your post (and Adam's) you think it is correct that if I made a TEEN reservation on May 30 for let's say February 2004 and the TEEN award was issued on May 30 (points deducted), then I have to change the dates later to say April 2004 (which of course comes prior to June 2004, and assuming award availability exists) that the present 100,000 points would be sufficient? </font>
What's important here is that we have Adam going on the record saying that this is correct. You can change, or even make a completely new reservation after June 1. In fact, I believe that this particular case was covered in his first response on this subject (quoted in the originating post of this thread).
Old May 30, 2003, 11:15 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by attorney28:
I would feel a lot more comfortable if I could have something in writing</font>
OK. I'm wondering whether Adam should have left out that example altogether.

Would the following have been better, what do you think?

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Adam Burke:
&gt; Any hotel rewards issued under the current Opportunity, Executive, Select, Classic, and Premium categories will be valid for one year from the date of issuance.

&gt; As of June 1, 2004, all HHonors hotels will ONLY accept hotel rewards issued under the new category structure 1-6.

&gt; In the interim, HHonors hotels will be prepared to accept valid certificates under either of the two structures.
</font>
I'm no lawyer (nor do I play one on FT), but I do not see how that could possibly be construed in any other way.
Old May 30, 2003, 11:21 am

With all due respect, Eugene, Adam's wording in your original post on this thread relates to making, not changing, a reservation and it does not address the issue of booking a lesser level hotel pre-June 1 and being able to still use that booking with a GLON even if the hotel becomes a Category 6 after June 1. I hope and believe that your confidence is warranted in saying the answer to those questions is "yes" but please tolerate us Nervous Nellies who would like a specific response on those issues from Adam. And though I do not play a public defender on FT I still don't believe your new post immediately above specifically answers the additional questions some of us have. Sorry. I guess we'll have to leave this up to the court of (our) appeals as adjudicated by Adam.

[This message has been edited by upgrader (edited 05-30-2003).]
Old May 30, 2003, 11:36 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by upgrader:
With all due respect, Eugene, Adam's wording in your original post on this thread relates to making, not changing, a reservation and it does not address the issue of booking a lesser level hotel pre-June 1 and being able to still use that booking with a GLON even if the hotel becomes a Category 6 after June 1.</font>
You are absolutely right, but my response was to the specific question asked by OB one, which had nothing to do with changing categories (TEEN awards are not selected based on their category to begin with). And since one can get a cert now and not make a reservation until later, then it automatically covers an ability to change a reservation later.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by upgrader:
I hope and believe that your confidence is warranted in saying the answer to those questions is "yes" but please tolerate us Nervous Nellies who would like a specific response on those issues from Adam. </font>
Trust me, I am as nervous as the other guy when it comes to ambiguities in rules.

But in this particular case I am completely satisfied with Adam's response, and have absolutely no doubt that he will hold his end of this deal if something goes wrong later on.

Of course, you have the right to voice whatever concerns you still may have, please do not take my comments here as an attempt of imposition on that right. It's just a reflection of my opinion on the subject, no more, no less.
Old May 30, 2003, 11:52 am

Eugene, I think we're going to smiley each other to (the) death. Couldn't agree more that you're just expressing your opinion in the same way I and others are expressing ours. That's what makes FT so great.
Old May 30, 2003, 12:03 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres

Would the following have been better, what do you think?

Originally posted by Adam Burke:
&gt; Any hotel rewards issued under the current Opportunity, Executive, Select, Classic, and Premium categories will be valid for one year from the date of issuance.

&gt; As of June 1, 2004, all HHonors hotels will ONLY accept hotel rewards issued under the new category structure 1-6.

&gt; In the interim, HHonors hotels will be prepared to accept valid certificates under either of the two structures.
</font>
To be honest, that still would not answer the very specific question that upgrader, I and others have asked many times in this thread: What happens with a property that changes from NON-PREMIUM to CATEGORY 6?

According to your understanding, a GLON certificate would be sufficient as you are saying the structures have changed completely.

However, one interpretation that is NOT ruled out by what Adam has written is that, since in the future, for these kinds of properties, a GLONP2 cert would be required, in parallel, if one uses an old certificate, one would need a GLONP.

As I said, I hope this is NOT the correct interpretation but it worries me that Adam gave a very unclear answer (in my opinion) and is silent now. He specifically only gave the answer regarding a property going from premium to 6, while all the questions in this thread were specifically about a GLON being sufficient for properties going from non-premium to category 6.

That one he did not answer and I hope he will, soon. I hope that if he writes "Don't hesitate to ask further questions", he will also be prepared to answer them before it is too late.

Okay, I don't want to sound too dramatic, it's not life and death here . But it would be nice to finally get a definite answer. I would assume they must have thought about this scenario and the fact that this question will come up. And if not, they should be aware of it now .
Old May 30, 2003, 12:22 pm

Hello again all. Sorry if my clarification didn't adequately address the questions you posed. Let me try to clarify more definitively.

1) For new hotels that open on or after June 1, 2003, these hotels will only accept the new category 1-6 rewards.

2) Regarding VIP Only rewards (like the Going Global example you've cited), these rewards will continue to be honored based on both the old AND new certificates until June 1, 2004. For example, if a hotel previously took GLON certificates and is now a category six hotel, BOTH types will be accepted until June 1, 2004 (or the expiration date on the old certificate type, whichever comes first).

3) Effective June 1, 2004, all HHonors hotels will only accept the new category 1-6 rewards.

4) You do not need to make reservations prior to June 1, 2003 in order to book under the old reward codes -- you just need to have redeemed a valid reward certificate with the old code before that date. You can then book reward stays using the old reward code through the expiration date on the certificate up until June 1, 2004.

Hope this clears everything up. If not, please let me know.

Have a good weekend.

Adam
Old May 30, 2003, 12:27 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Adam Burke:
2) Regarding VIP Only rewards (like the Going Global example you've cited), these rewards will continue to be honored based on both the old AND new certificates until June 1, 2004. For example, if a hotel previously took GLON certificates and is now a category six hotel, BOTH types will be accepted until June 1, 2004 (or the expiration date on the old certificate type, whichever comes first).</font>

Thank you .

Sorry for being a pest about this and props to Eugene, who was right all along .
Old May 30, 2003, 12:30 pm

I also would like to add that this made my weekend and that I am very impressed that Adam indeed came back to clarify this! A big thumbs up to Adam and Hilton and sorry for getting too worried before!
Old May 30, 2003, 12:54 pm

Who is Adam? Is he an official with HHonors? Can we print a copy of his response to hold onto in case our GLON
is not honored at Cancun in the future?
Old May 30, 2003, 12:58 pm

Thank you, Adam. Those are the answers we all wanted to hear. Thanks for patiently responding to those of us are perhaps a bit too circumspect. Even if some of our brethern were sure you had already answered our questions. Eugene, as usual you were correct. I should have know from your many prior, accurate insights that you would be on target. I'm now off to the phone to obtain some GLONs. Thanks to all for the good discourse.
Old May 30, 2003, 1:04 pm

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
Hello again all. Sorry if my clarification didn't adequately address the questions you posed. Let me try to clarify more definitively.

1) For new hotels that open on or after June 1, 2003, these hotels will only accept the new category 1-6 rewards.

2) Regarding VIP Only rewards (like the Going Global example you've cited), these rewards will continue to be honored based on both the old AND new certificates until June 1, 2004. For example, if a hotel previously took GLON certificates and is now a category six hotel, BOTH types will be accepted until June 1, 2004 (or the expiration date on the old certificate type, whichever comes first).

3) Effective June 1, 2004, all HHonors hotels will only accept the new category 1-6 rewards.

4) You do not need to make reservations prior to June 1, 2003 in order to book under the old reward codes -- you just need to have redeemed a valid reward certificate with the old code before that date. You can then book reward stays using the old reward code through the expiration date on the certificate up until June 1, 2004.

Hope this clears everything up. If not, please let me know.

Have a good weekend.

Adam
</font>
Answers all my questions. Thanks again

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.