Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Adam Burke's response on using "old" rewards chart certificates after June 1, 2003

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Adam Burke's response on using "old" rewards chart certificates after June 1, 2003

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2003, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
attorney28. Well ask yourself this. Did Starwood or Hilton blitzkreig The Freddies this year? There has to be reasons.

And I agree with Eugene, that this following Diamond Desk advice in the past 24 hours would be nice to have in writing. The fact Eugene posts verbatim what he is told is good enough for me.

Although as I posted earlier, HH will be hard pressed to not honour GLONS based on this advice, (bolding is mine) as they themselves gave such confusing information:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Eugene:

I called the Diamond Desk and asked this question. The agent said he needed to consult with a supervisor to find the answer, put me on hold for a couple minutes, then came back and confirmed that what matters is the current (pre-June 1) category, so "old" level certs will be accepted for a full year for reservations made before or after June 1, no matter what the property category will become by then. </font>
Old May 29, 2003, 2:13 am

Hilton Hua Hin (Thailand) is currently 10,000 points for 1 night, and less (per night) if stay longer. As from next week, it is gonna be 20,000 points per night.

THIS IS AN INCREASE OF AT LEASE 100% OVER NIGHT. Is there any consumer potection agency where we can launch a complain.

Just imagine; if the silver dollar in your pocket is worth half as much overnight, how would you feel about it.
Old May 29, 2003, 4:44 am

But some (e.g., Munich City Hilton) go down.
Old May 29, 2003, 12:12 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Sooo....looks like Mr. Burke is out of the office...or busy...?
Old May 29, 2003, 12:44 pm

Hello all. Sorry for any remaining confusion on this topic. I think the easiest way of explaining it is this:

&gt; Any hotel rewards issued under the current Opportunity, Executive, Select, Classic, and Premium categories will be valid for one year from the date of issuance.

&gt; As of June 1, 2004, all HHonors hotels will ONLY accept hotel rewards issued under the new category structure 1-6.

&gt; In the interim, HHonors hotels will be prepared to accept valid certificates under either of the two structures. For example, if a hotel was a Premium category hotel and is now a category six hotel, the property will accept both types of certificates through their expiration dates.

Please let me know if I can provide any additional information.

Best regards,

Adam
Old May 29, 2003, 1:04 pm

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Adam Burke:
Hello all. Sorry for any remaining confusion on this topic. I think the easiest way of explaining it is this:

&gt; Any hotel rewards issued under the current Opportunity, Executive, Select, Classic, and Premium categories will be valid for one year from the date of issuance.

&gt; As of June 1, 2004, all HHonors hotels will ONLY accept hotel rewards issued under the new category structure 1-6.

&gt; In the interim, HHonors hotels will be prepared to accept valid certificates under either of the two structures. For example, if a hotel was a Premium category hotel and is now a category six hotel, the property will accept both types of certificates through their expiration dates.

Best regards,

Adam
</font>
Thanks for the clarification and please start a HHonors Lurker. Great to hear from you.
Old May 29, 2003, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG/Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Now that the confusion appears to have been cleaned up I just wanted to post one other question... ;-)

Can you use an "old category" VIP cert before June 1, 2004 at a new Hilton hotel which opens after June 1, 2003 and therefore does not have an "old category rating"?
Old May 29, 2003, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Adam -- Thanks a lot for clarification!
Old May 29, 2003, 1:31 pm

Location: Madison, WI, USA; NW Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Adam Burke:

Best regards,

Adam
</font>
You would think that there wouldn't be any more questions but I want to make absolutely sure that I understand this correctly so I don't squander a certificate.

If I order a GLON but don't make a reservation by May 31, 2003 and a hotel changes from a GLON to a Category 6, I will still be able to make a reservation after June 1 and use my GLON at that hotel as long as I use it before May 31, 2004.

Similarly I can order an ALON for 100,000 points by May 31, 2003 but I can make my reservation after June 1, 2003 as long as I use the cert by June 1, 2004.

Is this correct?
Old May 29, 2003, 1:42 pm

(TravelLover posted his/her above question while I was preparing this question. Our questions are closely related and I apologize for the overlap but I didn't see his/hers until I had already posted mine.)

Thank you very much Adam for the clarification provided. Your example, however, appears to me to address only a case where a hotel stays in a comparable category. (Premium to 6) Would a GLON obtained prior to June 1, 2003 and with a pre-June 1 reservation at a current lower category hotel (e.g., Cancun) still be valid to use within the one year period even though Cancun will become a Category 6 on June 1? I guess the general question is if a hotel is not a Premium now but will become a Category 6 after June 1 can we use a GLON obtained before June 1, 2003, for that new Category 6 hotel? And, if so, would you have to have made a reservation prior to June 1, 2003 at that new Category 6 hotel in order to use the GLON. Finally, what would happen if you change the dates on your pre-June 1 reservation after June 1, 2003? In my case, I was told that I had to have a pre-June 1, 2003 reservation and request my GLON by June 1, 2003 to use a GLON in Cancun after June 1, 2003 and that if I changed anything on that reservation after June 1 I would lose the right to use a GLON and would have to come up with the new GLONP2 rate of 175K for Cancun.

[This message has been edited by upgrader (edited 05-29-2003).]
Old May 29, 2003, 3:39 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by upgrader:
Your example, however, appears to me to address only a case where a hotel stays in a comparable category. (Premium to 6) Would a GLON obtained prior to June 1, 2003 and with a pre-June 1 reservation at a current lower category hotel (e.g., Cancun) still be valid to use within the one year period even though Cancun will become a Category 6 on June 1? I guess the general question is if a hotel is not a Premium now but will become a Category 6 after June 1 can we use a GLON obtained before June 1, 2003, for that new Category 6 hotel? And, if so, would you have to have made a reservation prior to June 1, 2003 at that new Category 6 hotel in order to use the GLON. </font>
First of all, thanks Adam for coming to this thread.

Secondly, I have exactly the same questions as upgrader above. That is the somewhat more tricky case. Although Adam has not explicitly addressed this case yet, however, I am very confident from his response that one CAN use a GLON for a hotel that was not premium, but now is category 6. So I am leaning towards believing that Eugene was right on this now, but please, Adam, if you could explicitly confirm this (and, very important, that this is valid even if the reservation is made after June 1!), this would be of great help.

Thanks again.
Old May 29, 2003, 4:17 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by upgrader:
Your example, however, appears to me to address only a case where a hotel stays in a comparable category. (Premium to 6)</font>
By the way, I surely hope that the fact that the problematic case has not been addressed is just a coincidence. Hopefully, Adam can as soon as possible erase the last doubts.

[This message has been edited by attorney28 (edited 05-29-2003).]
Old May 29, 2003, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by aussieinsf:
Now that the confusion appears to have been cleaned up I just wanted to post one other question... ;-)

Can you use an "old category" VIP cert before June 1, 2004 at a new Hilton hotel which opens after June 1, 2003 and therefore does not have an "old category rating"?
</font>
My guess would be that if the new hotel was a Category 1-5, then they would accept an old GLON but if the new hotel was a Category 6, they would want an old GLONP. Purely speculation on my part.
Old May 30, 2003, 3:44 am

Almost the last day before the change, so I hope Adam comes back to clarify this.
Old May 30, 2003, 10:20 am

Bumping in hopes that Adam will not miss this and will respond. Also thanking him in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.