Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Adam Burke's response on using "old" rewards chart certificates after June 1, 2003

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Adam Burke's response on using "old" rewards chart certificates after June 1, 2003

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2003, 10:44 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by upgrader:
If a hotel that was previously a 1-5 becomes a 6 as of June 1

&lt;snip&gt;

In other words, if you get a GLON and a reservation for a 5 hotel now and that hotel becomes a 6 as of June 1, any change you make in the reservation after June 1 means that your GLON will no longer work. </font>
Sorry, but this does not make any sense for a very simple reason - there is no such thing as category 5 (or any other number) prior to June 1, 2003.
Old May 28, 2003, 11:17 am

Sorry, Eugene, of course you are correct. I just used the number scheme rather than writing out all the select, classic, etc., thinking FTers would follow my logic and to make it consistent with the new scheme. But even in using the number scheme I should have said 1-4 instead of 1-5 for all non-Premium pre-June 1 categories, since there are only four below Premium. My apologies for the error although I do think the other respondents got what I intended from my comments, perhaps arguing against your contention that my comments made no sense. If you simply replace my "1-5" pre-June 1 reference with Opportunity, Executive, Select and Classic I think the rest of my statement accurately reflects what Hilton is telling me are the rules. Nonetheless, given that you are one of the resident gurus on Hilton (meant sincerely)and that I am appreciative for all that I have learned from your postings, I stand properly corrected and appropriately contrite. Besides, from what I'm reading on the other new thread on this topic there is no consensus from HH on exactly what the rules are. Let's hope the (mis)information we're getting does not cause us to make errors in judgment about how to proceed.

[This message has been edited by upgrader (edited 05-28-2003).]
Old May 28, 2003, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Dear upgrader -- I'm sorry to disagree (and thank you very much for keeping this discussion civil!), but this logic would have made sense if it were just an extra category added to the existing structure. But since the new award categories structure is completely different compared to the existing one (numbers vs. names), then that explanation that you have got from HH reps still does not make sense.

The thing is that all categories will change as of June 1, 2003. Thus, based on the explanation you've got from HH reps, any reservation made (or altered) after June 1 would not be eligible for current certificates (e.g., GLONP, etc.), because the category at the time of change would be different from those eligible for the cert. But that has been already officially proved wrong by Adam Burke.

Sincerely,

Eugene

&lt;Edited for a typo&gt;

[This message has been edited by Eugene (edited 05-28-2003).]
Old May 28, 2003, 11:43 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by upgrader:
Let's hope the (mis)information we're getting does not cause us to make errors in judgment about how to proceed.</font>
Excellent point, that's the most important thing.

In situations like this (which are numerous), how do I wish that Hilton had someone like Starwood Lurker here to help resolve confusion and miscommunication issues!
Old May 28, 2003, 11:52 am

Eugene, I don't think HH meant to say, nor did I, that ANY change in category invalidated the "old" GLON. I think they and I know I meant to say that if you get a GLON and a reservation before June 1 for a hotel not in the current Premium category, then you can change the reservation or even the hotel without penalty as long as the hotel you wish to use does not move to the new 6 category after June 1. However, if your lower-than Premium pre-June 1 hotel does move to the 6 category and you change the reservation in any way after May 31 then you could no longer use the GLON and would have to have a GLONP2 at 175K. Your GLON acquired before June 1 would be honored at any category 1-5 hotel for up to one year, assuming availability, even if you decide not to use your original reservation, cancel/change that reservation and decide to use the GLON with a new hotel and/or new dates. At least that's what I think they said to me. Right now, between this and the other new thread on this topic I am totally confused about what is the "truth". Do you agree with what I've stated in this latest posting regarding the correct interpretation of the rules?
Old May 28, 2003, 11:55 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Eugene:
But since the new award categories structure is completely different compared to the existing one (numbers vs. names), then that explanation that you have got from HH reps still does not make sense.

The thing is that all categories will change as of June 1, 2003.
</font>
I hope you are right - since you seem to have e-mailed Adam Burke in the past, have you tried to contact him about it? It would be great to have a definite answer on this as it makes a great difference with regards to the value of an already redeemed GLON for which a reservation has not been made yet.

Old May 28, 2003, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

It's a bit simpler to use GLONP instead of GLON as an example, because it's valid for only one current category (Premium) that will completely disappear come June 1, 2003. Thus, if the explanation you were given by HH reps were true, then no reservation made or changed after June 1 would be eligible for such a cert. Again, that would directly contradict to what Adam Burke had to say.

Now, back to GLON. It is my understanding that GLON certs issued prior to June 1, 2003 would be valid for all HH properties designated as non-Premium as of now, for up to a year since the date of issue, no matter what category those properties will become then. Category 6 does not constitute a Premium category as that word (Premium) is referred to in the HH Terms and Conditions pertaining to the category name.

Once again, I wish someone with official authority to make interpretations of HH rules (higher up in the food chain than an HH rep answering the phones) would come here and confirm or deny this. On my part, I will send another e-mail to Adam and ask him to weigh on this issue. Hope he'll be able (and willing) to respond prior to the all-important date of June 1.
Old May 28, 2003, 12:19 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Thanks, Eugene. Keeping my fingers crossed that Adam will confirm your understanding.
Old May 28, 2003, 12:43 pm

Eugene, thanks for sending a call to HH senior personnel to respond. Let's hope they do. Your understanding of what a GLON can and cannot be used for does contradict what I understood HH to be telling me. It was explained to me that the new Category 6 is equivalent to the old Premium category. Thus, a GLON obtained prior to June 1 could be used within a year with any Category 1-5 under the new scheme, whether or not you had a reservation prior to June 1. But if a non-Premium hotel became a 6 after June 1, you could not use a GLON, only a GLONP2. Since I'm ready to get several GLONS before June 1 I hope we hear very soon from a "certified" HH source.
Old May 28, 2003, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold

I think they and I know I meant to say that if you get a GLON and a reservation before June 1 for a hotel not in the current Premium category, then you can change the reservation or even the hotel without penalty as long as the hotel you wish to use does not move to the new 6 category after June 1. However, if your lower-than Premium pre-June 1 hotel does move to the 6 category and you change the reservation in any way after May 31 then you could no longer use the GLON and would have to have a GLONP2 at 175K. </font>
I think this is incorrect.

If you redeem and make a reservation now at any Hilton PRESENTLY covered by a GLON, you may stay in it without incident. No matter what number category it re-rates to as in 3 days.

In the end HH will not split hairs IMO on this. There are written advices from HH staff to that effect posted here from recent times, and I can't see them making an issue if that advice is pointed out. Anyone who booked awards in good faith based on that will not be penalised IMO.

Re-training some of their staff ....... well that is a whole other ball game.

As I posted earlier. It is like me booking and ticketing an airline award now to Buenos Aires with United for next April. Even if UA TREBLES the miles needed (as BA just did on some awards like LHR-SYD in F!) for this award effective for new bookings from June, my ticket is valid at the 'old' rate.

Old May 28, 2003, 1:09 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ozstamps:
If you redeem and make a reservation ****NOW**** at any Hilton PRESENTLY covered by a GLON, you may stay in it without incident. No matter what number category it re-rates to as in 3 days.
</font>
Yes...but what if you cannot get the reservation before June 1st and the hotel's award level goes from, let's say, Classic at present to 6 after June 1st...?

[This message has been edited by attorney28 (edited 05-28-2003).]
Old May 28, 2003, 2:29 pm

ozstamps, I hope you are correct but I was told explicitly by two different HH folks that if, after June 1, I made any changes in a pre-June 1 GLON reservation and the hotel had moved to a Premium level I would have to come up with the higher total. (175K vs 100K) As long as I kept the reservation the same I would be OK even if the hotel changed to a Premium level as of June 1. I was also told that even if I had an old GLONP (150K)and a pre-June 1 reservation I would still have to come up with the new GLONP2 (175K) rate rather than just use the old GLONP if I made any changes in my original GLONP reservation after May 31. If I made no changes I could use the old GLONP same as I would a new GLONP2 at the hotel where I had the pre-June 1 reservation. WHERE ARE YOU OH GREAT HH FINAL AUTHORITY AND WHY ARE YOU NOT BRINGING CLARITY, COUNSEL AND COMFORT TO OUR LIVES? I'm not very sanguine that what we've been told to date on FT by HH will stand up if push comes to shove (mixed metaphor alert) when we check in at the front desk of a hotel.
Old May 28, 2003, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

WHERE ARE YOU OH GREAT HH FINAL AUTHORITY AND WHY ARE YOU NOT BRINGING CLARITY, COUNSEL AND COMFORT TO OUR LIVES? </font>
The request has been sent, let's give him some time to respond (hopefully, he is not out of the office and will be able to respond before the change).

In the meantime, I called the Diamond Desk and asked this question. The agent said he needed to consult with a supervisor to find the answer, put me on hold for a couple minutes, then came back and confirmed that what matters is the current (pre-June 1) category, so "old" level certs will be accepted for a full year for reservations made before or after June 1, no matter what the property category will become by then. It would be nice though to have an official written interpretation of the rules to feel comfortable at check-in.
Old May 28, 2003, 5:24 pm

Wife just requested a GLON and was not able to get one as she was told that had to be tied into reservation. Called right back again and requested GLON and received GLON without any reservation being made. She did not aske any questions for clarification, etc. So I guess the best approach is if the CSR won't give you a GLON say thank you and simply repeat the process again by calling right back.
Old May 28, 2003, 9:54 pm

Seems like HH or Hilton Reservations CSRs are sometimes a bit clueless. I called about 5 times the last 4 days and 4 times the people said "GLON? Never heard of that in my life." (that was in Europe).

I am not exaggerating... That is the response you get when you call Hilton. I wish Starwood had more properties so that I could easily switch to Starwood. HH customer service is really not great - and neither is award availability, to put it very mildly.

Anyway, I still hope Eugene is right about the interpretation of the change rules, but I am starting to think Starwood is much better, even based on the mere existence of the Starwood Lurker alone.

[This message has been edited by attorney28 (edited 05-29-2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.