Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Times Square {US-NY}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2002, 9:06 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by rjh:

Just to clarify that the MoMA Manhattan location is closed until 2005.
http://www.moma.org/momaqns/directors_letter.html

Rich
</font>
I believe they moved some exhibitions to Brooklyn or are building a bigger site in Brooklyn. Check their Web site and it should tell you.

FM Maniac

------------------
- I am a Freqnt Miles Maniac and a Ballroom Dance Miniac :-) -
Old Aug 20, 2002, 10:52 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I was there last month, got pushed up to the 43rd floor, great room, incredible view, and free breakfast for two to boot. I would not have any problems at all booking another room there when I have to stay in the city. I found it much better then the Waldrof.
Old Aug 20, 2002, 11:48 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
I would stay away from the Hilton New York. I am gold and got access to the lounge. The lounge had lots of food in the morning and late afternoon. However, I found the service to be unfriendly. My stay was in April 2002. Our room was renovated yet had major wall peelings in bathroom.

FWIW, my friend who often is in New York for business and is also gold prefers the Times Square Hilton much more.
Old Sep 3, 2002, 11:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat; HH Gold; Marriott Silver; UCLA Fan
Times Square Hilton Review

Stayed at Times Square Hilton over Labor Day weekend after choosing that property over the NY Hilton based on recommendations from posts from this board. Made the right decision--it's a great hotel! Got a cheap internet rate of $161 plus taxes. Since I'm Gold, it included a full buffet breakfast each day (valued at $18.00)for both my wife and me. Room was large and the view from the 42nd floor was terrific. Room was clean and maid service was good. TV had about 25 channels and reception was good. Location is on 42nd Street at Times Square, only ½ block from a huge subway station. Great for people watching outside. Dozens of restaurants and shops within a short walk. Nothing critical to find about this property.
Old Sep 4, 2002, 11:23 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Dia, Marriott S
I had a nice stay there about 2 months ago. The property seems new, although it has been in service for 2 years according to the desk clerk. Room was spotless and I had a great view of the Hudson and the new Westin under construction. Only drawback is the small entrance from the street - easy to walk past. But look out for the gnomes!
Old Sep 5, 2002, 9:44 pm

Programs: Delta DM 1MM, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
We were in NYC over Labor Day too! Originally had booked the TS Hilton for $189 per night. Ended up cancelling as we got a priceline bid accepted for $110 at the Millenium Broadway on 44th b/t 6&7. Stayed at the TS Hilton over New Years 2002 though, and agree a very nice hotel. I booked two rooms and they gave full bkfast for all 4 of us! Very good bkfast too, buffet style with most everything you would want. I agree also this is probably the best located hotel in the TS/Theatre district, especially if you are going to use the subway.
Old Sep 6, 2002, 3:31 pm

Location: JFK, LAX, LHR, DUB, MIA, ORD, MAD - heavy travel to all
Programs: EXP: 2014, 15, Final 7 Mo of 16, and all of 17 (soon to be '19-20). Big Bonvoy Users
We, too, stayed at Hilton Times SQ over LD weekend. Though we only had one night (going for CNTU) ... and high-tailed it to the Hudson for www rate of $139 p/night.

But I am confused by the choice of 500 AA points or free breakfast ... so I chose the points.

Did I miss something? I don;t read this board too much ...
Old Sep 6, 2002, 10:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by nhila:
But I am confused by the choice of 500 AA points or free breakfast ... so I chose the points.

Did I miss something? I don;t read this board too much ...</font>
By assigning a reasonable dollar value to the cost of an average mid tier hotel room at 25000 Hilton HHonors points, I figure 500 points is really only worth just a few dollars. Given that this hotel typically charges $18 for the breakfast buffet, I tend to think the breakfast option offers a much better value for many guests.

I'll be staying at the Times Square Hilton on 9/11 and am looking forward to a breakfast of bagels and lox the following morning in lieu of the much less tastier points.
Old Sep 7, 2002, 12:46 pm

I am glad you all enjoyed this Hilton. It is my favorite NYC chain hotel; I have been staying there almost exclusively for about 18 months, at least 3-4 nights per month. The staff is unbelievable accomodating, and the room are wonderful. I was told that the reason that the rooms are so large is that originally this hotel was slated to be a DT; at the last minute, Hilton decided it needed a boutique-y property in NYC, so the switch was made. One of my favorite things about this hotel is that hi-speed internet is free.

One word of warning though: the restaurant is not run by Hilton, and the food can be very iffy, esp. thru room service. Breakfast is awesome, but the dinners I have had there were pretty bad. I have discovered that the desk clerks have a list of local places that deliver, and I now get take-out Chinese from Ollies on my of my trips.
Old Sep 7, 2002, 11:53 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Ah, Ollie's noodle house... My Favorite.

I'm just wondering, however, why you'd choose the Hilton @ $161 over the Waldorf=Austoria [Hilton Property] which I got at the end of August for $179 on Expedia.. I also was upgraded to the Waldorf towers (the upgrade to end all upgrades), I had the best stay in NYC in some time...

YYCOllie

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by hoya84:
I am glad you all enjoyed this Hilton. It is my favorite NYC chain hotel; I have been staying there almost exclusively for about 18 months, at least 3-4 nights per month. The staff is unbelievable accomodating, and the room are wonderful. I was told that the reason that the rooms are so large is that originally this hotel was slated to be a DT; at the last minute, Hilton decided it needed a boutique-y property in NYC, so the switch was made. One of my favorite things about this hotel is that hi-speed internet is free.

One word of warning though: the restaurant is not run by Hilton, and the food can be very iffy, esp. thru room service. Breakfast is awesome, but the dinners I have had there were pretty bad. I have discovered that the desk clerks have a list of local places that deliver, and I now get take-out Chinese from Ollies on my of my trips.
</font>
Old Sep 8, 2002, 6:57 pm

I stay at the Hilton TS at least 3x per month and it is the best chain hotel I have ever found in NYC - I have tried them all, from Sheraton, to W, to Crowne Plaza, to Marriott. I consistently get GREAT service, upgrades, etc.. at this Hilton. I have never had anyone behave rudely or inattentively, quite the contrary. If I don't get upgraded, I get a corner room on a high floor, which is just fine with me. The rooms are huge by NYC standards, immaculately clean, with nice bathrooms and comfortable beds. The clincher is that the hi-speed internet is free!

As for the restaurant, I feel it leaves much to be desired. It is very modern and cool-looking, but the food is not consistent and the service is as bad as it gets - esp. at breakfast. I have complained many times so when they see me now, they cringe. Also, the tables and chairs are very uncomfortable. It is not run by Hilton - it is owned by Larry Forgione who is one of those celebrity chef types.
Old Sep 8, 2002, 8:01 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Dia, Marriott S
I will second the caution about the restaurant for dinner. Pricey, but this is NYC. However, the selection was very limited and the food so-so. Too much emphasis on style than substance. Could have been a W!
Old Sep 8, 2002, 8:37 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I agree about the Waldorf. I stayed there in March 2001 on the executive level. It was so pleasant. Thought it was ~ oh so nice! I've noticed that even the Waldorf Towers is a Hilton Honors Hotel. Does anyone know if you automatically get an executive level room if you book a room at the Waldorf Towers with an award certificate? Aren't all rooms at the Towers eligible for the Executive level? I'll stay there next NY trip if that's the case!
Old Sep 8, 2002, 8:38 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I also meant to ask....Is the TS Hilton located by that Wax Museum or are you guys talking about the Doubletree?
Old Sep 8, 2002, 9:38 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by traveler4ever:
I also meant to ask....Is the TS Hilton located by that Wax Museum or are you guys talking about the Doubletree?</font>
Hilton Times Square on 42nd Street.

AndrewM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.