Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Points & Elite Benefits When Booking Through Third-Party?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Points & Elite Benefits When Booking Through Third-Party?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2010, 6:35 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Originally Posted by 4now
I know what an "opaque" site is, but I'm not really sure I understand about "third party website bookings (irresprective of rate paid)" as it relates to getting my Hilton points. .
If AA.com has a miles bonus for booking a hotel room through them, will I still get my Hilton points for that room?
If I just use AAA.com, will I still get my Hilton points for that room?
If I use my membership warehouse club site, will I still get my Hilton points for that room?
If I book through YahooTravel, will I still get my Hilton points for that room?
If I use TripAdvisor to read the reviews and then book through their search utilizing multiple sites, will I still get my Hilton points?
Or, in order to get my Hilton points, does everything have to be booked through Hilton.com?
A third party booking site is pretty much any site other than an official Hilton site. The Hilton MVP sites gives you points, Hilton.co.uk gives you points, etc. Expedia = no points, etc
Old Aug 17, 2010, 8:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
It's my understanding that any reservation booked through Expedia, Orbitz, TripAdvisor, AAA, Costco, etc. would not qualify for points or stay credit. You would, however, receive any HHonors perks you are entitled to, such as free internet, breakfast, etc. You need to book through an official Hilton site to get the points and stay credit.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by WNHHTraveler
It's my understanding that any reservation booked through Expedia, Orbitz, TripAdvisor, AAA, Costco, etc. would not qualify for points or stay credit. You would, however, receive any HHonors perks you are entitled to, such as free internet, breakfast, etc. You need to book through an official Hilton site to get the points and stay credit.
Could somebody kindly guide me to the relevant provision in the T&C. I have problems to find it (and had never problems to get points for bookings through Expedia asa these were not on an Expedia special rate (= Expedia in its capacity as tour operator)

Thank you very much
Old Aug 17, 2010, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Could somebody kindly guide me to the relevant provision in the T&C. I have problems to find it (and had never problems to get points for bookings through Expedia as these were not on an Expedia special rate (= Expedia in its capacity as tour operator)
It's Paragraph 3 under "Accrual of Points":

"A "stay" is defined as the total number of consecutive nights spent at the same hotel, whether or not a guest checks out and checks back in again. The term “stay” under these Terms and Conditions does not include any stays of the following nature: wholesale/tour operator packages; contracted airline crew rates; travel industry rates (including but not limited to travel agent discount rates); complimentary or barter rooms; Reward Stays; NET Group rates; Series Group or IT Group rates; contracted Entertainment or Encore rates; third party websites bookings (irrespective of rate paid); and "opaque" channel bookings where the brand is unknown at the time of purchase. HHonors points may not be earned for ineligible stays or during ineligible stays, including without limitation, folio charges incurred during ineligible stays."

If you got points from an Expedia stay you were lucky.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BearX220
third party websites bookings (irrespective of rate paid); and "opaque" channel bookings where the brand is unknown at the time of purchase.
As the the corporate booking engine of one of my main clients uses expedia I am a bit amazed - I get points all the time as long as the rate is not a special expedia rate. And the rate code in the booking (and to be found in my HH profile) is COR17, the same rate code that appears if I book directly via HH.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
if not booked directly from hilton, then it would completely depend on the property if they want to give you the perks....
Old Aug 18, 2010, 9:37 am

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Ugh. I had a bad experience when I booked with what I thought was a 'travel agent', but Hilton called it a third-party booking, and I spent a long time on the phone with Hilton trying to sort it out. My confusion happened because I was trying to book a rate that was listed on both the third-party site and the Hilton website as the "Advance payment rate". So no red flags went off when I was expected to pre-pay for the room.

The bottom line is: anything you book on a Hilton Website or through a 'real travel agent' (i.e. the kind who charges fees and make you a reservation, not a site that pre-sells you a room), you will get points and credit for the stays. Anyone else, no. Rule of thumb: Anything where you pay in advance to a booking site will not count. Stays where Hilton charges the rate to your credit card when you check out do count.

When you go to AA.com and book a room under what appears to be a normal, non-opaque rate, what usually happens in the background is that Hilton sold a block of rooms to AA at a discount, and AA sold them to you at the nominal price. This is considered 'third party' by Hilton.

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
As the the corporate booking engine of one of my main clients uses expedia I am a bit amazed - I get points all the time as long as the rate is not a special expedia rate. And the rate code in the booking (and to be found in my HH profile) is COR17, the same rate code that appears if I book directly via HH.
If you get points for a stay booked on a 'corporate booking engine' that happens to use Expedia, I would guess that somehow the corporation is using Expedia in a "real travel agent" capacity. Are these rooms pre-paid directly to Expedia, or is your card charged by Hilton when you check out?

Last edited by janetdoe; Aug 18, 2010 at 9:48 am
Old Aug 18, 2010, 9:42 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by saad
if not booked directly from hilton, then it would completely depend on the property if they want to give you the perks....
Hmmm....I remember reading somewhere, but now I can't find it in the T&C, something to this effect:

opaque site bookings - no points, no perks
third party site bookings - no points, but you do get the perks

Maybe someone else knows where to find this?
Old Aug 18, 2010, 6:27 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
When I checked in to my hotel this evening, the woman ahead of me reminding the desk clerk to put in her HH number, and he said I'm sorry this is a third party booking and does not qualify. She said, I didn't know that, isn't there anything you can do, he said it is a very strict policy and I'm sorry I cant help you but If you call Hilton, they are the only ones that can reverse it.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by janetdoe
If you get points for a stay booked on a 'corporate booking engine' that happens to use Expedia, I would guess that somehow the corporation is using Expedia in a "real travel agent" capacity. Are these rooms pre-paid directly to Expedia, or is your card charged by Hilton when you check out?
As said, it is a normal Corporate rate and not anyhow an Expedia special rate (= prepaid). I pay at checkout to Hilton.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Hmmm....I remember reading somewhere, but now I can't find it in the T&C, something to this effect:

opaque site bookings - no points, no perks
third party site bookings - no points, but you do get the perks

Maybe someone else knows where to find this?
There is nowhere said third party would still get the perks, third party is basically the same as opaque, just not as cheap. If individual hotel give you the perks by booking from third party site, expect it is a one time perk, just don't count on it next time. Years ago when I don't know all about this, I booked hotels on united.com, when I checked in the front desk told me clearly since I booked from a third party, there are no miles would be given. (my earning preference is airline miles instead of points)

The only way you get full benefit is booked thru hilton.com or call Hilton's reservation number.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Aug 19, 2010 at 12:01 am
Old Jan 25, 2011, 5:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Migros Cumulus Platinum Hero
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by christianj
With most programs (including SPG which you also list in your profile) the bookings that are made through 3rd party booking sites like Expedia, Orbitz, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Priceline, etc. do not earn points because the room rate is actually paid to the 3rd party and not directly to the hotel operator on site. I have had instances where I was attending a convention and the convention travel planner booked the room and I got credit....but I paid the bill at the hotel and not in advance. I think you will be out of luck with all the hotel brands if the room rate is paid to the booking site.

I would expect HHonors at least to give me points for in-house spending @:-)
Old Jan 25, 2011, 5:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Migros Cumulus Platinum Hero
Originally Posted by Brattflyer
Another tip: I have never had any trouble getting Hhonors points when I book through the airline web site. The UA hotel site is really expedia and offers special rates, but because the airline is a hhonors partner they give the points.
This is no longer true. Unfortunately.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 5:15 am

Programs: CX Marco Polo GR,DL Skymiles, SQ Krisfyer,PH Mabuhay Miles, HH gold, BWR Diamond
Hilton Honors Elite Benefits When Booking Through Third-Party?

To get the Hilton Honors gold benefits like possible executive floor upgrade, free breakfast, free wifi, do I have to book directly at Hilton's website? what if I book on other travel sites like Expedia, Priceline, Agoda.. etc, will I still get the elite benefits?

I know that some loyalty programs don't credit the points or nights stay if you book at 3rd party site, so I might not get the points and nights stay credit but not sure if HH cuts the elite benefits as well if you book using other sites.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 8:28 am

Programs: HH Gold, BW Diamond, SPG Gold, Kimpton Inner Circle, CC Silver, PC Platinum, BA Bronze
Others may correct me, but I think Hilton are pretty relaxed on this, I know some hotel groups are strict but from what I've read on the forums HH give you the benefits regardless

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.