Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Premium Room Reward only at certain properties - Major Devaluation of HH points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Room Reward only at certain properties - Major Devaluation of HH points

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by HHonorsRepresentative
Thank you for sharing your feedback about the new ways you can redeem points. We want to apologize for any confusion and would like to clarify a few points.

We are excited to announce that members can, for the first time, use HHonors points to book more than 200,000 premium rooms and suites. These premium rooms are some of the most desired in the world. The new Premium Room Rewards and Premium Room Upgrade Rewards enable our members to book any room in any hotel around the world using Hilton HHonors points. Throughout the years, we have received feedback from many of our members requesting this enhancement. We believe having premium rooms and suites now redeemable for HHonors points is a great addition to our program.

While rolling out this reward program, we did experience a technical glitch with a small handful of hotels which caused these properties to appear to have no standard rooms. We are working on resolving this issue so that standard rooms can continue to be booked with Hilton HHonors points at these properties.

In addition to the three new reward products, Hilton HHonors members can continue to redeem their points to enjoy free standard rooms at the more than 3,750 hotels worldwide with no blackout dates. There have been no changes to the Standard Room Rewards product, allowing members to continue to redeem standard rooms at category one hotels through category seven hotels, like select Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts.

We value your loyalty and membership to Hilton HHonors and hope that you enjoy our new offerings.

-HiltonHHonors Representative
Thanks for this announcement. But what are the three new reward products? Certainly, the two I've highlighted. Is the third Premium Suite Awards or something I'm missing?

Also, good to know that problem with no standard awards is being addressed.

Looking forward to folks' reports on whether the Premium Rewards require the ridiculously astronomical number of points we've been seeing, or whether this problem has also been addressed with the official roll-out of the new reward products.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Thanks for this announcement. But what are the three new reward products? Certainly, the two I've highlighted. Is the third Premium Suite Awards or something I'm missing?

Also, good to know that problem with no standard awards is being addressed.
I think this email I received 2 days ago explains (that the third option is cash + points):

We are pleased to introduce three new ways to use your Hilton HHonors™ points to book reward stays at hotels and resorts worldwide.

Get away faster than ever with Points & Money Rewards™. Use fewer points to book a reward stay when you combine points and money to book a standard room.1

Use Premium Room Rewards2 and Room Upgrade Rewards3 to book or upgrade to any room, including our most luxurious suites.

With more ways to book reward stays than ever before, Hilton HHonors helps you transform points into unforgettable experiences.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by andysiz
I think this email I received 2 days ago explains (that the third option is cash + points):

We are pleased to introduce three new ways to use your Hilton HHonors™ points to book reward stays at hotels and resorts worldwide.

Get away faster than ever with Points & Money Rewards™. Use fewer points to book a reward stay when you combine points and money to book a standard room.1

Use Premium Room Rewards2 and Room Upgrade Rewards3 to book or upgrade to any room, including our most luxurious suites.

With more ways to book reward stays than ever before, Hilton HHonors helps you transform points into unforgettable experiences.
All this general technical speak is one thing, but it remains to be seen what everyone here actually cares about...

How many points is it going to cost us to stay where we want to stay?

If it's a big increase (devaluation in points), then nothing has been resolved.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Notenut
Could you comment on how this new scheme might affect the situation I described in my previous post, # 233?
i think you mean post # 223....
Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:54 am

Programs: OZ *G, HHonors Gold, Aclub Plat
Good move Hilton! Hope you guys enforce that hotels give a % of rooms as standard rooms to prevent hotels from abusing the premium awards.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
From talking to Mr. Nassetta's office, it sounded like there were no changes to the award schedule for standard rooms. However, we did not talk about the number of points that are required for an upgrade / premium room. Right now Hilton seems to be using the "value" of $.003 for Premium room awards. This significantly inflates the point requirements as very few people will redeem at that value.

The reasonable thing to do would be to, instead of using the full rate of the premium room to base the point requirements on, would be to look at the DIFFERENTIAL in price and add those point requirements to the standard award rate. Even this would cause a large increase in point requirements but at least it would be more reasonable.

Also, we Hilton needs to address the lack of AXON / VIP awards requirements for the Premium rooms.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 12:00 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by HHonorsRepresentative
Thank you for sharing your feedback about the new ways you can redeem points. We want to apologize for any confusion and would like to clarify a few points.

We are excited to announce that members can, for the first time, use HHonors points to book more than 200,000 premium rooms and suites. These premium rooms are some of the most desired in the world. The new Premium Room Rewards and Premium Room Upgrade Rewards enable our members to book any room in any hotel around the world using Hilton HHonors points. Throughout the years, we have received feedback from many of our members requesting this enhancement. We believe having premium rooms and suites now redeemable for HHonors points is a great addition to our program.

While rolling out this reward program, we did experience a technical glitch with a small handful of hotels which caused these properties to appear to have no standard rooms. We are working on resolving this issue so that standard rooms can continue to be booked with Hilton HHonors points at these properties.

In addition to the three new reward products, Hilton HHonors members can continue to redeem their points to enjoy free standard rooms at the more than 3,750 hotels worldwide with no blackout dates. There have been no changes to the Standard Room Rewards product, allowing members to continue to redeem standard rooms at category one hotels through category seven hotels, like select Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts.

We value your loyalty and membership to Hilton HHonors and hope that you enjoy our new offerings.

-HiltonHHonors Representative
Given the availability of standard accomodations at a property is limited by the extent a hotel and/or Hilton want to game it, the availability of the standard rooms using points and how HHonors prices "premium rooms" (direct bookings or upgrades) using points is the thing which needs to be clarified. That hasn't been clarified at all.

If this Hitlon HHonors premium room reward scheme is not now a tool to limit Hilton's expenditures on a per point redeemed basis, I would be entirely shocked if that is not what it is intended to become soon enough. IIRC, Hilton's not in the business of increasing its expenditure per point redeemed by Hilton HHonors customers.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Keyser
i think you mean post # 223....
Oops, you're right, fat fingers.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 12:06 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by calvinoeh
Good move Hilton! Hope you guys enforce that hotels give a % of rooms as standard rooms to prevent hotels from abusing the premium awards.
I suggest being more concerned about what Hilton Worldwide/Hilton HHonors management have done and will do than what the properties do. The reimbursement properties get from Hilton Worldwide/HHonors is a function of what the property has in its franchise agreement with Hilton Worldwide/Hilton HHonors; the reimbursement received by the properties is not a function of the number of points that Hilton HHonors charges Hilton HHonors customers.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 12:16 pm

Is Availability limited to the amount of points you have?

Originally Posted by voc6
Both BBN and Moorea show no award availability at all anymore. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and praying that this means some type of change!

Man, if our marriage can survive this honneymoon planning fiasco, I think we can survive anything! Planning a wedding is easy in comparison!

Also, thanks to everyone for not making me feel so alone in this! I've been in touch with Hilton since the day they changed the rates and am so happy to hear I'm not the only one upset. At this point, we'll sleep on a pool chair all week if it's 50,000 points!

***Nevermind - it's always available for 1 night (Moorea) but never for 4 nights...and BBN has no award rooms available anymore....I'm so confused!
Originally Posted by ksf45632
Neither are available..you can "see" availability if you AREN'T signed into your account. If you select the room when you are signed out, it will prompt you to sign in, and then tell you that the room is unavailable. Hopefully they're fixing this mess!
Originally Posted by lewende
You confused me now - this "no award" situation has been there for a while, and not restricted to Moorea and BBN, but for all Hilton properties. This problem only occurs when you log in as a HHonors member.
One thing that I noticed last night was that I couldn't see availaiblity for properties where the # of nights cost more than the points I had in my account. For example, I currently have 111K points. If I check Hilton Waikoloa for 3 nights, it shows no availibility (150K points is the amount for a 3 night stay and I have less than that). If I check for 2 nights, it has availiblity (100K points is the amount for a 2 night stay and I can cover that). I spot checked a couple of other properties and saw the same thing. Of course, when I log off and then check, I can see a 3 night stay
without an issue. So for some instances, the website seems to restrict availability to the number of points you have in your account if you are signed in.

This may be the issue that some of you are having (just a thought)

I don't recall this being an issue before - maybe it is an "enhancement" with the Beta site?
Old Oct 14, 2011, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Splittin' Aces
So for some instances, the website seems to restrict availability to the number of points you have in your account if you are signed in.

This may be the issue that some of you are having (just a thought)
Nope. Happens to me even for single night queries well under my current balance.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Given the availability of standard accomodations at a property is limited by the extent a hotel and/or Hilton want to game it, the availability of the standard rooms using points and how HHonors prices "premium rooms" (direct bookings or upgrades) using points is the thing which needs to be clarified. That hasn't been clarified at all.

If this Hitlon HHonors premium room reward scheme is not now a tool to limit Hilton's expenditures on a per point redeemed basis, I would be entirely shocked if that is not what it is intended to become soon enough. IIRC, Hilton's not in the business of increasing its expenditure per point redeemed by Hilton HHonors customers.
nothing has been clarified, except that standard awards aren't going away. That the unavailability is a glitch, and not a a block on booking to avoid mass redemptions before recatagorization or revaluation of standard awards.

The knee jerk reaction to this situation is revealing and costly to Hilton, slow communications have no doubt cost them $$$ in switched bookings. The ongoing IT problems have increased the disgust with the HH program. while we all wait and see if they put it back the way it was or devaluate the program in the name of enhancement (aka Delta)
The best thing to do is wait and see how it plays out and then respond accordingly....the inept way these changes are being implemented tend to make me leary of the outcome.
I have a weeklong stay at Hilton coming up and just started learning about their program....I now have to hesitate booking future stays, signing up for credit cards, and getting heavily invested in HH points.
We are just starting a relationship with Marriott and could just as easily build points with them instead.
I found HH points worth less in general, but easier to earn the massive amounts required for redemption. The south pacific standard awards that everyone talks about in these forums, are a tempting prize to persue. I'm not sure if Marriott has anything to compare.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by andysiz

Oh, of course. I should have remembered points/money. Thanks!
Old Oct 14, 2011, 12:49 pm

To the HHonors Representative: It would be helpful to know a general time frame when the system will be back up and running. If it's going to be another week...month...another day..etc. I don't want to be checking every 10 minutes, but I am because I'm so nervous about getting a room for our honeymoon. Honestly, I can't even sleep well because I wake up in the middle of the night and check. If I knew it wasn't going to be up for a day or a week, I could calm my nerves.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ksf45632
To the HHonors Representative: It would be helpful to know a general time frame when the system will be back up and running. If it's going to be another week...month...another day..etc. I don't want to be checking every 10 minutes, but I am because I'm so nervous about getting a room for our honeymoon. Honestly, I can't even sleep well because I wake up in the middle of the night and check. If I knew it wasn't going to be up for a day or a week, I could calm my nerves.
Don't know if it would work, but you might try calling HHonors to try and make a reservation over the phone. Now that they have admitted that it is an I.T. glitch they may be willing to work with you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.