Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near London, United Kingdom {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near London, United Kingdom {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2023, 10:38 am

60k Properties

Mobile issues, repeated post deleted.

Last edited by RadicalDude; Sep 4, 2023 at 10:57 am
Old Sep 4, 2023, 10:51 am

60k Properties

Don't normally have a hard time deciding on a property, but definitely could use some input on this one. (Edit I've read through this forum and others)

5 nights on points. Mid-July '24. First time visit, just the spouse and I. Really like to be central and <10 mins from a tube. Curb appeal is pretty important (for no logical reason), we just like to walk out and feel like "we're there" for anytime we visit a new place.

Right now have Conrad booked at 80k.

Without having visited, it looks like there are plenty of nice properties at 60k that dont get a lot of attention. I don't necessarily need to save the 20k/night on a room but given the way options look, seems very doable. I do have another trip coming up that the points saved would be put to use.

initially booked Waldorf, but varying comments on lackluster AC put that off the list.

Watching Trafalgar but no space open yet, so need some help on these 60k properties which I'll probably stick with one.

We are Diamond and ideally take advantage of breakfast on property at least most days.

Westminster looks 10min to tube, but aside from that similarly located as Conrad which is the main selling point on that property it seems. Is the Westminster so bad? Seems people get stuck up on lacking toiletries, leaking shower, and small rooms. Only downside in my naive view is lacking closet/dresser space.

Hilton Metropole. This gets a lot of love but Google street view seems to suggest the area isn't all that great And not walkable to any "sites".

DT London Tower looks like a great place given proximity to tube, city, and tower bridge but i cannot even recall why i crossed it off it just gets repeatedly poor remarks.

DT west end. Seems pretty perfect inbetween 2 tube and walkable to Covent Garden and other sites, but rarely mentioned. Is there something im missing on this one? It's also not available yet but watching it.

100 Queens Gate. Have this marked for curb appeal. Not center but Kensington looks favorable and 2 tube lines nearby. Almost never mentioned although other properties nearby are so it's off putting.
Old Sep 4, 2023, 11:37 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; AerClub Silver, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by RadicalDude
Don't normally have a hard time deciding on a property, but definitely could use some input on this one. (Edit I've read through this forum and others)

5 nights on points. Mid-July '24. First time visit, just the spouse and I. Really like to be central and <10 mins from a tube. Curb appeal is pretty important (for no logical reason), we just like to walk out and feel like "we're there" for anytime we visit a new place.

Without having visited, it looks like there are plenty of nice properties at 60k that dont get a lot of attention. I don't necessarily need to save the 20k/night on a room but given the way options look, seems very doable. I do have another trip coming up that the points saved would be put to use.

initially booked Waldorf, but varying comments on lackluster AC put that off the list.

Watching Trafalgar but no space open yet, so need some help on these 60k properties which I'll probably stick with one.

We are Diamond and ideally take advantage of breakfast on property at least most days.

Westminster looks 10min to tube, but aside from that similarly located as Conrad which is the main selling point on that property it seems. Is the Westminster so bad? Seems people get stuck up on lacking toiletries, leaking shower, and small rooms. Only downside in my naive view is lacking closet/dresser space.

Hilton Metropole. This gets a lot of love but Google street view seems to suggest the area isn't all that great And not walkable to any "sites".

DT London Tower looks like a great place given proximity to tube, city, and tower bridge but i cannot even recall why i crossed it off it just gets repeatedly poor remarks.

DT west end. Seems pretty perfect inbetween 2 tube and walkable to Covent Garden and other sites, but rarely mentioned. Is there something im missing on this one? It's also not available yet but watching it.

100 Queens Gate. Have this marked for curb appeal. Not center but Kensington looks favorable and 2 tube lines nearby. Almost never mentioned although other properties nearby are so it's off putting.
If you are considering to spend some time in the lounge, want a higher level of service and want to be two minutes walk from St. James' park and close to London's landmark, keep the Conrad. The only other hotel that I can suggest, based on the "I like to walk out and feel like "we're there", is the DT west end. It has no lounge but will provide you with a decent room and breakfast right in a nice part of the city, very close to the British Museum, Covent garden and walkable distance to many places.
The Trafalgar is also good, but most of the times far too overpriced.
I believe the other properties, including the The Westminster London which is now a Curio, will not give you the same feeling to be right in the middle of things, but each can be good for specific reasons such as the Metropole is excellent if you need to connect to Heathrow airport; the 100 Queens gate great if you stay in Kensington area and so on.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2023, 1:12 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer

Given those initial factors, this hotel, Trafalgar and Lost Property are your options. The Curio Westminster is I guess not far off many sites but by central London standards it's like a few other corners of town: a bit far off the tube for most likes and a bit tucked away. So I think you got it right first time, with Conrad, with Trafalgar and Lost Property having some location advantages but fewer facilities (no lounges). If it's weather like now, then Trafalgar's roof terrace would take some beating mind.

I wouldn't be too driven by anecdotes in reviews. It's incredibly rare for a reviewer to go to a number of different Hilton properties and silly things get amplified. Toiletries - seriously? I haven't noticed the a/c in Waldorf as being problematic, and though you sure would need it today, mostly London hotels' a/c can be left switched off for much of the year.
Old Sep 4, 2023, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by MP001
If you are considering to spend some time in the lounge, want a higher level of service and want to be two minutes walk from St. James' park and close to London's landmark, keep the Conrad. The only other hotel that I can suggest, based on the "I like to walk out and feel like "we're there", is the DT west end. It has no lounge but will provide you with a decent room and breakfast right in a nice part of the city, very close to the British Museum, Covent garden and walkable distance to many places.
The Trafalgar is also good, but most of the times far too overpriced.
I believe the other properties, including the The Westminster London which is now a Curio, will not give you the same feeling to be right in the middle of things, but each can be good for specific reasons such as the Metropole is excellent if you need to connect to Heathrow airport; the 100 Queens gate great if you stay in Kensington area and so on.
Lounge is more nice to have than needed unless we're traveling with our toddler.

Logistics isnt something i gave much thought, thanks for pointing that out. We're coming in on Eurostar and leaving through Heathrow so I'll factor that in, may be another vote for Metropole. Although appeared that bus was needed and not doable by rail to Heathrow which I assumed wasn't much better than other locations. IIRC from Google maps it put me on 205 bus, but at least it was just 1 bus. Thanks for your insight.

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Given those initial factors, this hotel, Trafalgar and Lost Property are your options. The Curio Westminster is I guess not far off many sites but by central London standards it's like a few other corners of town: a bit far off the tube for most likes and a bit tucked away. So I think you got it right first time, with Conrad, with Trafalgar and Lost Property having some location advantages but fewer facilities (no lounges). If it's weather like now, then Trafalgar's roof terrace would take some beating mind.

I wouldn't be too driven by anecdotes in reviews. It's incredibly rare for a reviewer to go to a number of different Hilton properties and silly things get amplified. Toiletries - seriously? I haven't noticed the a/c in Waldorf as being problematic, and though you sure would need it today, mostly London hotels' a/c can be left switched off for much of the year.
Yeah im not overly influenced by reviews, until they become repeated. But it's confusing when London is the only city in the world that DT gets repeatedly hated on. And exactly...toiletries or 1 "rude" staff member...Or small rooms when they're perfectly typical for the area.

I travel with a fan in winter so I don't mess around with AC. It's got to be good or I'll leave. It's one of the first things I search reviews for mention of.

Idk why i didn't mention Lost Property, I have that favorited too waiting to open up. I have this intuitive sense that we're going to really enjou the City area and staying there would be a safe choice for us.

It looks like I've narrowed down to Lost Property, DT West End, or Trafalgar if it opens up. Not sure why I'm in such a undecisvie penny-pinching mood with the points, I think the abundance of varying London options did it to me.
appreciate the help!
Old Sep 4, 2023, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Some here would wonder if i was ill if i didnt take this chance to shill for the Hilton Park Lane . It does check all of your boxes, and as a Diamond you will likely get a high floor room with an epic view. Likely more expensive on points but worth it IMO.
Old Sep 4, 2023, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
Some here would wonder if i was ill if i didnt take this chance to shill for the Hilton Park Lane . It does check all of your boxes, and as a Diamond you will likely get a high floor room with an epic view. Likely more expensive on points but worth it IMO.
It's 80k, same as Conrad or Trafalgar, but Park Lane nor Trafalgar are available yet (still 10 mo out) (EDIT Park lane is available) so I booked Conrad as it's harder to get and looked towards 60k properties as alternatives.

Maybe I shouldnt be overlooking this one, but immediately put Conrad ahead of it simply for the brand. Though I hear it doesn't hold up to Conrad standards anyways (nor is that super important to me...sometimes I like to be ignored unless I need something).

Seeing the four seasons and Ritz in the same neighborhood is an easy give away. Any view would be epic in comparison, and i see balconies (cigar smoker) but seems to be suites. Would you say all esle considered it tops location of the Conrad in regard to "curb appeal" I seem to be arrogantly stuck on?
Old Sep 5, 2023, 3:36 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It looks like I've narrowed down to Lost Property, DT West End, or Trafalgar if it opens up. Not sure why I'm in such a undecisvie penny-pinching mood with the points, I think the abundance of varying London options did it to me.
I would say DT West End isn't in the same league as Conrad, Trafalgar or LP. If you add West End on to your list then leaving Waldorf off isn't logical. Nothing greatly wrong with WE, and the location is tremendous, but it's not as swish as the other locations, and Waldorf has a lot of old school charm that WE doesn't have. If you are trying to save money/points then you best accept a slightly out of town location and get around by tube, at which point the list of potential hotels goes up by about 10 properties.
Old Sep 5, 2023, 1:35 pm

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
Hahaha, I was just thinking that scrolling down ...... although I can’t crow too loud, I used to say the same about Hilton Canary Wharf 😂👍
pauleeepaul likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2023, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
It's 80k, same as Conrad or Trafalgar, but Park Lane nor Trafalgar are available yet (still 10 mo out) (EDIT Park lane is available) so I booked Conrad as it's harder to get and looked towards 60k properties as alternatives.

Maybe I shouldnt be overlooking this one, but immediately put Conrad ahead of it simply for the brand. Though I hear it doesn't hold up to Conrad standards anyways (nor is that super important to me...sometimes I like to be ignored unless I need something).

Seeing the four seasons and Ritz in the same neighborhood is an easy give away. Any view would be epic in comparison, and i see balconies (cigar smoker) but seems to be suites. Would you say all esle considered it tops location of the Conrad in regard to "curb appeal" I seem to be arrogantly stuck on?
I have only stayed twice at the Conrad, both precovid. It is a fine hotel, hard and soft product, a little like a luxury boutique property. The neighborhood is a little sleepy nights and weekends. And the views- if any- are meh. The Hilton Park Lane is imposing, right in the heart of Mayfair (nick out the backdoor to Shephard Market in 3 minutes), and oh the views, epic. The lounge at the Conrad was better, but the Hilton is still pretty good. As with all YMMV.

Stepping off my soap stool...
wizla likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2023, 5:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by happychic
Hello all! Me and P2 will be visiting London for 3 nights next May from California. It will be my 4th visit (although my last visit was about 16 years ago now), P2's first visit. We will be using a few FNC certs. I cannot decide which Hilton we should go with. I would love to stay at Conrad or Trafalgar, but neither is available for standard redemption for my dates.

King size bed is important to us. We are lowly golds, so while we'd love to have access to lounge and/or complimentary breakfast, it isn't as important in light of everything.

So far I have narrowed down to this list.

Canopy by Hilton London City
London Hilton on Park Lane
Lost Property St Paul's London

Which one would you pick? Any other ones we should consider? We will be visiting cocktail spots and wandering around. Maybe going to Claridge's for afternoon tea. P2 probably wants to go to Stonehenge for a day trip.

We will be flying into LHR but leaving from LGW, probably taking public transportation to/from airport.

Thank you.
My wife and I stayed at Park Lane last time we were in London, which was just pre-pandemic, and we really liked it. It’s very central for many things (London is huge) and in a spectacular location. We walk a lot so it was excellent for that. I’ve been to London 100 to 150 times over the last 30 years or so and stayed around town and I think Park Lane is about my favorite location. When we were there the concierge arranged transportation to Devon for us which was quite well done so I expect they can help with getting you to Stonehenge.
happychic likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2023, 1:36 pm

Programs: Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
My wife and I stayed at Park Lane last time we were in London, which was just pre-pandemic, and we really liked it. It’s very central for many things (London is huge) and in a spectacular location. We walk a lot so it was excellent for that. I’ve been to London 100 to 150 times over the last 30 years or so and stayed around town and I think Park Lane is about my favorite location. When we were there the concierge arranged transportation to Devon for us which was quite well done so I expect they can help with getting you to Stonehenge.
Thank you, appreciate your input!
Old Sep 9, 2023, 1:01 pm

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
I highly recommend the Hilton Bankside - just checked out of my second stay in the past week (3 nights total).

One benefit that is particularly notable this week - functioning, reliable air conditioning. Room set to 21 and remained at 21 for the duration.

The Good:

Pool at a good temperature for lap swimming, Exec Lounge, Location, Modern Rooms, great water pressure in the shower, quiet rooms, a pool, excellent and speedy service, the pool, great variety of wines on the room service list, excellent continental breakfast (can't speak to the hot breakfast, not my bag), did I mention the pool and air conditioning?

The Not So Good:

Pool only 17m (or thereabouts, I paced it out). Room service (and therefore restaurant) dinner menu is a bit limited.

Will definitely return on all future London stays. It's only a 10-15 pound Uber ride to all of the action across Blackfriar's Bridge (didn't find any bankers underneath it) and there's a host of decent cafes, pubs, restaurants and bars within easy walking distance. Bonus for a Local Sainsbury's & Tesco literally next door to the hotel, both open until late.

Can't go wrong.
Old Sep 9, 2023, 3:16 pm

How crowded is the pool at Bankside? It seems rather narrow from the pics. Do other pool users respect/give space to those who are there for laps?
Old Sep 9, 2023, 9:55 pm

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
Originally Posted by shillard
I highly recommend the Hilton Bankside - just checked out of my second stay in the past week (3 nights total).

One benefit that is particularly notable this week - functioning, reliable air conditioning. Room set to 21 and remained at 21 for the duration.

The Good:

Pool at a good temperature for lap swimming, Exec Lounge, Location, Modern Rooms, great water pressure in the shower, quiet rooms, a pool, excellent and speedy service, the pool, great variety of wines on the room service list, excellent continental breakfast (can't speak to the hot breakfast, not my bag), did I mention the pool and air conditioning?

The Not So Good:

Pool only 17m (or thereabouts, I paced it out). Room service (and therefore restaurant) dinner menu is a bit limited.

Will definitely return on all future London stays. It's only a 10-15 pound Uber ride to all of the action across Blackfriar's Bridge (didn't find any bankers underneath it) and there's a host of decent cafes, pubs, restaurants and bars within easy walking distance. Bonus for a Local Sainsbury's & Tesco literally next door to the hotel, both open until late.

Can't go wrong.
I stayed there several times a number of years ago and liked it a lot. As you say, some pleasant drinking and eating places nearby. Was your breakfast in the EL or the restaurant (or maybe room service)? Was there any restriction on where and what you could eat as a diamond and how was the one essential, the coffee?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.