Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near London, United Kingdom {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near London, United Kingdom {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2023, 12:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Why is Bankside popular?
Old May 2, 2023, 12:47 pm

Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Plat Life, UA Silver (thx Marriott), IHG Gold, Accor Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Red259
Why is Bankside popular?
It's a fairly new hotel. Large lounge. Good breakfast. Rooms are a decent size for London. Near London Bridge so plenty of transport options too.

T
Old May 2, 2023, 1:27 pm

Bankside is no longer an option. I'm paying with points and the standard room is gone. I heard some negative stuff about Waldorf about it being pretty dated etc. I'm paying with points. Waldorf and park lane cost about the same number of points. I have seen postings that they are doing renovations at park lane so it is noisy but I'm not sure if that improved or not.
Old May 2, 2023, 2:16 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Park Lane is one of London's larger hotels, so there is always some work going on there. I think they are doing a floor at a time so you should be able to avoid the worst of that. The Waldorf is an older, indeed historic property. If that's not what you like (and Bankside is out) then you would be looking at London Bridge, or the Metropole, which has recently completed its refurbishment. By all means be a bit more precise about what you are looking for.
Old May 2, 2023, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Park Lane is one of London's larger hotels, so there is always some work going on there. I think they are doing a floor at a time so you should be able to avoid the worst of that. The Waldorf is an older, indeed historic property. If that's not what you like (and Bankside is out) then you would be looking at London Bridge, or the Metropole, which has recently completed its refurbishment. By all means be a bit more precise about what you are looking for.
Looking for what is best in terms of quality for a points stay as a gold member out of the available properties. I am in London for tourism so obviously I don't want to stay way far out from the center. I don't mind taking the tube to get there but I don't want an excessively long commute either. I like nice lounges and want a comfortable room to get a good night's sleep in. I know some of the entry rooms in London can be extremely small. I don't have an issue with historic properties but there is historic and then there is tired and poorly maintained and that is more of my concern based on some reviews I saw. My stay falls over a Thursday/Friday so an area with restaurants/pubs within walking distance would be nice.
Old May 2, 2023, 3:37 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Looking for what is best in terms of quality for a points stay as a gold member out of the available properties. I am in London for tourism so obviously I don't want to stay way far out from the center. I don't mind taking the tube to get there but I don't want an excessively long commute either. I like nice lounges and want a comfortable room to get a good night's sleep in. I know some of the entry rooms in London can be extremely small. I don't have an issue with historic properties but there is historic and then there is tired and poorly maintained and that is more of my concern based on some reviews I saw. My stay falls over a Thursday/Friday so an area with restaurants/pubs within walking distance would be nice.
That's clearer. I think that's pushing you towards the Metropole, that has a good lounge, there are plenty of pubs and restaurants within walking distance (on Edgware Road itself the main cuisine is Arabic / Lebanese, away from there everything goes). It's reasonably central and good tube/bus services. In the West Wing the rooms are large by London standard, but more average in the Tower wing. No issue with poor maintenance. Your next bet would be Park Lane, though Mayfair is a bit high end in terms of pubs and restaurants. Then Tower, which is probably the best of the three for nightlife. Both of these venues have a weaker lounge offering compared to the Metropole.
Old May 2, 2023, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
On points or opm I go to the Park Lane. Epic views. Great location. Good enough lounge, (I haven't been there in about a year FWIW.) YMMV.
Old May 2, 2023, 4:20 pm

That's clearer. I think that's pushing you towards the Metropole, that has a good lounge, there are plenty of pubs and restaurants within walking distance (on Edgware Road itself the main cuisine is Arabic / Lebanese, away from there everything goes). It's reasonably central and good tube/bus services. In the West Wing the rooms are large by London standard, but more average in the Tower wing. No issue with poor maintenance. Your next bet would be Park Lane, though Mayfair is a bit high end in terms of pubs and restaurants. Then Tower, which is probably the best of the three for nightlife. Both of these venues have a weaker lounge offering compared to the Metropole.
Realistically will I get lounge access as a gold at Metropole? I can deal with staying in Mayfair if the hotel is good. For nightlife I don't need anything crazy. Just places to eat and grab a drink. Unlikely to do any sort of clubbing etc. Looks like Bankside may be back in play as an option.

Last edited by Red259; May 2, 2023 at 4:37 pm
Old May 2, 2023, 9:46 pm

Programs: United Platinum, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
The Conrad has the better lounge and is higher spec, but depending on the time all the lounges here (except the lounge-less Trafalgar) may only have cookies or fruit at a given point, so I'm not convinced that making a hotel choice on this basis is sensible - access to a nearby supermarket may be more useful. I would expect all of the hotels to be able to handle an early check-in, at noon or soon thereafter, but all of them may struggle with a 4pm check out. 2pm may be more realistic. The upgrade issue is unknowable until close to arrival - if a hotel is 100% full (or more!) then upgrades may not be possible. If the cash rate is relatively low about a week before arrival then you may have better luck.

I just want to report back on an absolutely fantastic stay at the Conrad St James. From the front desk to the pub staff, service was top class. We did not get any meaningful upgrades, but they accommodated our request for adjoining rooms. The rooms were fairly modern and well furnished compared to some other 5 star London properties I've seen. Kids had a blast - they got the Conrad stuffed dogs, and VIP passes entitling them to free ice cream whenever and wherever. The lounge served nice proper sandwiches and appetizers at lunch, and evening canapes were excellent. Diamonds can get breakfast at the lounge or a bigger spread at the restaurant downstairs. We did the restaurants - it was as good as you would expect from a Conrad. And obviously the location is unbeatable. Within 10-15 minutes walk you have St. James Park, Buckingham Palace, Westminister Abbey and Palace, Whitehall and Churchill War Rooms etc. And the St. James tube station right in front of the hotel if you want to go anywhere else for work or pleasure. I think I have found my favorite property in London after all these years of shuttling around various Marriott / Starwood properties!
Old May 3, 2023, 1:02 am

Realistically will I get lounge access as a gold at Metropole? I can deal with staying in Mayfair if the hotel is good. For nightlife I don't need anything crazy. Just places to eat and grab a drink. Unlikely to do any sort of clubbing etc. Looks like Bankside may be back in play as an option.
When I used the term nightlife it was just to prevent using "pub / restaurant" yet again so I wasn't assuming you would be clubbing. I must admit I don't know the Gold upgrade/lounge criteria for the Metropole (or anywhere really). Mayfair has pubs, as do the other locations, the options are just better at the Met, and better still at Tower. Park Lane also has the park at the front door, the location is pretty good and many rooms have amazing views. But if Bankside is back in contention that would certainly be worth consideration. It's an interesting area, not as many shops nearby compared to the other places mentioned, but close to the river and many places to eat nearby.
Old May 3, 2023, 5:27 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
The only place I know that has an almost guaranteed gold upgrade to executive level ( so you get lounge entry) is Hilton Canary Wharf.
Thursday and Friday nights are usually quiet, there are some great bars and restaurants around nearby West India dock and there is always a clean and safe vibe.
I know it’s not on your shortlist but definitely consider it
Old May 3, 2023, 7:11 am

Programs: Hilton Honors diamond
Originally Posted by wizla
The only place I know that has an almost guaranteed gold upgrade to executive level ( so you get lounge entry) is Hilton Canary Wharf.
Thursday and Friday nights are usually quiet, there are some great bars and restaurants around nearby West India dock and there is always a clean and safe vibe.
I know it’s not on your shortlist but definitely consider it
You can’t guarantee that anymore. I had friends staying over the weekend and it was super busy and as Gold they didn’t get an upgrade and no lounge access.
Old May 3, 2023, 12:51 pm

I booked Bankside on points. I can always change it if people believe there is a better option. Since its a points stay the room price isn't a factor as long as there is standard room availability. When I fly out I need to head to LGW to catch easyjet so bankside looked a bit easier to depart from as well and I like the way the rooms look.
Old May 3, 2023, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
I need to head to LGW to catch easyjet .
Fun squared
wizla likes this.
Old May 4, 2023, 3:24 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by Winniesbestfriend
You can’t guarantee that anymore. I had friends staying over the weekend and it was super busy and as Gold they didn’t get an upgrade and no lounge access.
Oh no….. Looking back I was being ambitious as this was back in 2013 when I was gold, I guess as I have a friend ( who I gifted gold to ) who stayed last November and was successful so I assumed this was still the case .
Thinking back I had a stay last year where I didn’t get upgraded for the first time here too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.