Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 19, 2013, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry a. laska
Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post, and edit this Wikipost to update.

The 59th floor Executive Lounge has opened again today (Sunday, 1st Sept. 2013) after an extensive refurbishment. Pictures of the new lounge can be seen here:

New Exec Lounge Pictures by infoworks

10 Things to do while at the Hong Kong Conrad by wideman
Print Wikipost

Conrad Hong Kong {HKG}

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2020, 4:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by lsquare
I thought Hilton wasn't in the business of owning hotels? 80% is pretty significant.
Hilton International does invest in property on a strategic basis, typically in markets they care about, but lack options. HK certainly fits this profile, but I am a little skeptical because they tend to disclose these assets in a public manner. My secondary theory is that an entity that neither Swire nor Hilton wants to be associated with has some skin in the game. Honestly, I don't know the answer.
lsquare likes this.
Old May 25, 2020, 5:02 am

Programs: CX Marco Polo Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Actually I have been hearing rumors that Conrad Hong Kong will be rebranded as the Fullerton Hong Kong later this year. Perhaps someone can fact check to see if the rumor is true. The remaining 80% shares of the hotel is owned by the Sino Group (https://www.sino.com/en/our-business...rad-hong-kong/) who owns the Fullerton brand.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by lesteryen; May 25, 2020 at 5:24 am Reason: Providing reference link.
Old May 25, 2020, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by lesteryen
Actually I have been hearing rumors that Conrad Hong Kong will be rebranded as the Fullerton Hong Kong later this year. Perhaps someone can fact check to see if the rumor is true. The remaining 80% shares of the hotel is owned by the Sino Group (https://www.sino.com/en/our-business...rad-hong-kong/).
That's terrible if true.
Old May 25, 2020, 9:42 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by lesteryen
Actually I have been hearing rumors that Conrad Hong Kong will be rebranded as the Fullerton Hong Kong later this year. Perhaps someone can fact check to see if the rumor is true. The remaining 80% shares of the hotel is owned by the Sino Group (https://www.sino.com/en/our-business...rad-hong-kong/) who owns the Fullerton brand.
There was a Fullerton property announced for Ocean Park last July with an opening mooted for 2021, while this article from August specifically mentions The Fullerton Ocean Park Hong Kong.

khabah
Old May 25, 2020, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
That's terrible if true.
Why is it terrible to have a lower priced option at Pacific Place than the SL, UH, or current Conrad? I thought we were supposed to embrace competition, and especially small players.
:D! likes this.
Old May 25, 2020, 10:19 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
It seems Swire also owns 20% of the other Pacific Place hotels, JW Marriott and Shangri-La.
Old May 25, 2020, 10:42 am

I thought Swire owned the Pacific Place complex (including all of Conrad, Shang, JWM), but I guess I was wrong. Didn’t know it was only 20% ownership.

Anyways, I’d be surprised if Conrad’s thinking about renovation under these circumstances.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 25, 2020, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by evergrn
I thought Swire owned the Pacific Place complex (including all of Conrad, Shang, JWM), but I guess I was wrong. Didn’t know it was only 20% ownership.
I didn't have a vague understanding until I saw your post, and spent 10 minutes trying to learn. While 10 minutes wouldn't be sufficient for the investment community, I think it is probably good enough for this thread.

Following are my assumptions:
-Swire owns ~40% of PP on paper
-but, when you consider the fact that it also has minority stakes in the hotels, maybe we can put the true number at ~60%
-as anchor tenants, and equity holders, the hotels are more important than Starbucks, but it would foolish to count out the value of Starbucks in the grand scheme
-the SL and Conrad are an easy comparison because they are the exact same in terms of physical plant
-this will continue to be the case after Conrad rebrands
-I'm guessing that Fullerton is going to price itself at 20% less than the SL
-it could go in the other direction, and invest $100 million on renovations in order to fetch 20% more than the SL, but the odds of this are pretty low
-Swire won't care as long as the rent is paid
lsquare and evergrn like this.
Old May 25, 2020, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
I don't know if Conrad HKG is Hilton-managed or franchise.
But either way, isn't the hotel locked into a multi-year contract? Such things are not usually year-to-year, correct?
If that's the case, then Conrad HKG wouldn't be able to just rebrand unless it happens to be at the end of the contract.
Does anyone know how that works? Like someone said upthread, I too would hate to see the Conrad rebranded.
Old May 25, 2020, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by moondog
You accept as a given that the Conrad Hong Kong will rebrand. Upthread it was reported as a rumor. Does anyone know anything more concrete about this? Or even the source of the rumor, if nothing else?
Old May 25, 2020, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by anabolism
You accept as a given that the Conrad Hong Kong will rebrand. Upthread it was reported as a rumor. Does anyone know anything more concrete about this? Or even the source of the rumor, if nothing else?
The rumormonger..
Old May 25, 2020, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is silly. That Sino owns 80% means nothing? If one looks at the top 20 hotels in Hong Kong or any major city pretty much anywhere one tends to find similar owners, i.e. corporate or investment groups. AFAIK SIno has has a big chunk for some time, and yes they also own the Fullerton in Singapore (and now Sydney), they also own majorities of several other hotels in HK, any of which they could make a Hilton if they chose to. Like many of Swire's projects, Swire often dilutes themselves down from majority to sometimes controlling, sometimes not, in any case they built/maintain and run Pacific Place overall.

Even if true, I have very fond memories of the Hilton Hong Kong......which was ultimately owned by Li Kashing. One day he decided that he wanted to build a bigger better building on that site, he bought out the rest of his deal with Hilton and knocked the hotel down, and a few years later we had the Conrad instead. If that were to happen again (which I doubt) maybe we might see finally a dozen Hilton properties in HK, rather than just a high end one on the island, and a low end one in Mongkok.
Old May 27, 2020, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by est-gratuite
Don't be surprised if this hotel ultimately decides to brand downgrade to a standard Hilton or Doubletree, rather than rennovate.

I mentioned this in the other Hong Kong thread:

With the way Hong Kong is going, I wouldn't be surprised if most western hotel chains decide to "brand downgrade" or even shut down their luxury properties in HK permanently. China is doing everything possible to ensure Hong Kong's special status as a center of finance & business for foreign investors comes to an end. Without the foreign companies & investors & western style legal system, Hong Kong will slowly morph into an obscure 2nd or 3rd tier Chinese city, that only older nostalgic tourists, and mainland Chinese (many on their way on their way to Macao) will visit.

In the long run, this seems to be Beijing's plan...let the city slowly descend into non relevance on the global stage.
At that stage only a few 4 star or 5 star luxury properties will be necessary and will survive.
Exactly!
Old May 29, 2020, 11:20 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
The issue for this franchised model (particularly in Asia) is the partners (often large Asian conglomerates) are gradually developing their own hotel chains, and deflagging the international chains.
For example losses by Hilton and Starwood in Australia over the last 15 years.

Hilton SW Melbourne - Pan Pacific 2017
Hilton on the Park Melbourne - Pullman 2015
Hilton Melbourne Airport - Parkroyal 2010
Westin Sydney - Fullerton 2019
W Sydney - Taj 2007 - Ovolo 2014
Old May 30, 2020, 3:46 am

Originally Posted by moa999
The issue for this franchised model (particularly in Asia) is the partners (often large Asian conglomerates) are gradually developing their own hotel chains, and deflagging the international chains.
Reflags from one established management group to another are also more common in Asia than elsewhere.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.