Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 19, 2013, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry a. laska
Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post, and edit this Wikipost to update.

The 59th floor Executive Lounge has opened again today (Sunday, 1st Sept. 2013) after an extensive refurbishment. Pictures of the new lounge can be seen here:

New Exec Lounge Pictures by infoworks

10 Things to do while at the Hong Kong Conrad by wideman
Print Wikipost

Conrad Hong Kong {HKG}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2019, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mendezka
Thanks for this. Looking like I'm gonna cancel. Now I gotta figure out how to get over to Macau... Have a 4 day stopover before I head out to the Maldives.
You can still fly into HKG and then take the ferry from the airport to Macau. Example: https://www.turbojet.com.hk/en/routi...ule-fares.aspx

Tip: Paying for First on the ferry is worth it Way less crowded, seating upstairs, and first to get luggage off the ferry.
mendezka likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
You can still fly into HKG and then take the ferry from the airport to Macau. Example: https://www.turbojet.com.hk/en/routi...ule-fares.aspx
My flight lands at 5:30PM. I don't see any feasible way I could make a 6pm ferry. Is it possible to take this ferry from Lantau after leaving the airport & staying in a hotel? I was looking at staying at Disney for 1 night anyway.

Meaning, is this ferry like a separate terminal apart from HKIA? Or do I have to be transiting with a airline ticket in order to access?

Last edited by mendezka; Nov 18, 2019 at 2:30 pm Reason: Adding question
Old Nov 18, 2019, 2:50 pm

My flight lands at 5:30PM. I don't see any feasible way I could make a 6pm ferry. Is it possible to take this ferry from Lantau after leaving the airport & staying in a hotel? I was looking at staying at Disney for 1 night anyway.

Meaning, is this ferry like a separate terminal apart from HKIA? Or do I have to be transiting with a airline ticket in order to access?
I have not connected from HKG to Macau, but did the reverse. The pier is at the airport. Presumably you can get to it even if you have cleared HK immigration and headed somewhere before coming back to take the ferry.
mendezka likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
I have not connected from HKG to Macau, but did the reverse. The pier is at the airport. Presumably you can get to it even if you have cleared HK immigration and headed somewhere before coming back to take the ferry.
Thank you for the tips! I'll try digging in a bit more. Looks like the Conrad Macao only has premium rooms available with points booking as well . Might just risk HK... Just tough with so many unknowns.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 3:12 pm

Thank you for the tips! I'll try digging in a bit more. Looks like the Conrad Macao only has premium rooms available with points booking as well . Might just risk HK... Just tough with so many unknowns.
The Conrad Macau is amazing, although not very convenient to the historic downtown, but there is a shuttle bus service to it from the ferry port which is very convenient. Been there twice, and didn't disappoint.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 3:23 pm

Good to know! Thank you very much for the assistance!
Old Nov 18, 2019, 3:27 pm

I see figures in the thread of HKD1750 per night, presumably for a standard room. My question is, before the protests, what kind of rates (for a standard room) could you expect from this property at this time of year. TIA for any figures.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
I see figures in the thread of HKD1750 per night, presumably for a standard room. My question is, before the protests, what kind of rates (for a standard room) could you expect from this property at this time of year. TIA for any figures.
When I made my booking it was roughly HKD3350 & 80k points. Points now down to 60k.
MaldivesFreak likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 3:54 pm

Programs: BA SIlver, Virgin Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite
Around 2300-2500.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 3:57 pm

There's only a couple of ferry's a day now from HKIA to Macau.

To get to Macau, follow signs for the bus via bridge. It's about $60 one way.

Macau hotels rates at weekends are eye watering espesh at weekends.
mendezka likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 4:00 pm

When I made my booking it was roughly HKD3350 & 80k points. Points now down to 60k.
I was pretty disappointed that I didn't get a cheap rate - like $1000 or something. It seems they'd rather protect the brand than have people stay for really cheap.

I heard the new Rosewood hotel in TST is running at 20% capacity! Still charging $5000 per night too.
mendezka likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 8:07 pm

We've been staying at Conrad this time of the year every year for the last 5-6 years. I would say the lowest refundable rate's usually been something like 2600-3400 HKD for the standard room, although I believe I have never paid more than 3100 HKD in the end (I keep checking rates and sometimes change to nonrefundable rate as we get closer to the date).
Old Nov 18, 2019, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by evergrn
We've been staying at Conrad this time of the year every year for the last 5-6 years. I would say the lowest refundable rate's usually been something like 2600-3400 HKD for the standard room, although I believe I have never paid more than 3100 HKD in the end (I keep checking rates and sometimes change to nonrefundable rate as we get closer to the date).
Sounds about right. This is peak season for hotels in HK right now. Low occupancy is a double whammy as spending goes down on restaurants which is a big chunk of revenue.

My question is, should rates go lower? I'd definitely stay for $1000 per night! Cheaper than my rent!
Old Nov 18, 2019, 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by anonymous_third_party
Sounds about right. This is peak season for hotels in HK right now. Low occupancy is a double whammy as spending goes down on restaurants which is a big chunk of revenue.

My question is, should rates go lower? I'd definitely stay for $1000 per night! Cheaper than my rent!
I wonder what the break-even point would be for the hotel. Well, not exactly break-even price (which would factor in overhead, maintenance costs, etc), but rather what would be the cost at which it benefits the hotel to fill a room as opposed to keeping it unoccupied?

For non-status guests, it could be as low as 600HKD (housekeeping, utilities, set of toiletries, etc) seeing as HGI is going for as little as 360HKD.
But for Diamond/Gold party of 2 with EL access, it might be ~1600HKD (above plus breakfast x2, EL snacks/canape/drinks).
Note that these are my wild guesses.

Anyways, I would be hard-pressed to think that the rates will ever significantly go lower than what it is now and certainly not below 1600HKD. I remember staying at BP International's harbour view room when I was a poor student for around 1500HKD, because that was the only decent hotel I could afford with any semblance of harbour view. If Conrad prices itself that low, then it would be opening its doors to a whole bunch of people like me 15yrs ago!
Old Nov 19, 2019, 3:30 am

Originally Posted by evergrn
I wonder what the break-even point would be for the hotel. Well, not exactly break-even price (which would factor in overhead, maintenance costs, etc), but rather what would be the cost at which it benefits the hotel to fill a room as opposed to keeping it unoccupied?

For non-status guests, it could be as low as 600HKD (housekeeping, utilities, set of toiletries, etc) seeing as HGI is going for as little as 360HKD.
But for Diamond/Gold party of 2 with EL access, it might be ~1600HKD (above plus breakfast x2, EL snacks/canape/drinks).
Note that these are my wild guesses.

Anyways, I would be hard-pressed to think that the rates will ever significantly go lower than what it is now and certainly not below 1600HKD. I remember staying at BP International's harbour view room when I was a poor student for around 1500HKD, because that was the only decent hotel I could afford with any semblance of harbour view. If Conrad prices itself that low, then it would be opening its doors to a whole bunch of people like me 15yrs ago!
As you point out, this is complicated. The revenue management software normally dynamically dictates room pricing based on oodles of factors, much of it predicated on historical data and current competitive conditions. That has all been thrown out the window, and I doubt the model has any accuracy when things are this off the normal parameters. I guess they just make it up and marginal cost becomes the primary driver.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.