Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter {US-CA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter {US-CA}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2007, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA Platinum Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Kind of strange

Here's the attitude, regarding preventive maintenance:

People scream, and get comped, when preventive maintenance is not accomplished, resulting in the following

- Rooms aren't sprayed and have bugs
- Filters aren't cleaned and the water is brown
- Broken fixtures in the room are not repaired

For flights:
- Seats don't recline because they're not fixed
- In flight Entertainment doesn't work
- Poor IT systems lead to loss of upgrades.

Etc. Etc.

None of the above has any impact whatsoever on my personal safety.

However, it seems the one thing hotels don't have to worry about (in the minds of those on the board) is preventive maintenance of the laundry's lint filters, resulting in a situation where the room caught on actual fire enough to scare the manager into a 3 precinct response, and evacuating the hotel.

I should thank them for the priviledge, actually, of being evacuated, and putting my personal safety at risk through their negligence.

It's like arguing that if the IFE works, I deserve comp, but negligently failing to maintain the aircraft so that we have a brake problem that puts us all at risk is just OK.

I won't be writing them a letter, I was already downstairs But the attitude is surprising.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by ytjk
Here's the attitude, regarding preventive maintenance:

People scream, and get comped, when preventive maintenance is not accomplished, resulting in the following

- Rooms aren't sprayed and have bugs
- Filters aren't cleaned and the water is brown
- Broken fixtures in the room are not repaired

For flights:
- Seats don't recline because they're not fixed
- In flight Entertainment doesn't work
- Poor IT systems lead to loss of upgrades.

Etc. Etc.

None of the above has any impact whatsoever on my personal safety.

However, it seems the one thing hotels don't have to worry about (in the minds of those on the board) is preventive maintenance of the laundry's lint filters, resulting in a situation where the room caught on actual fire enough to scare the manager into a 3 precinct response, and evacuating the hotel.

I should thank them for the priviledge, actually, of being evacuated, and putting my personal safety at risk through their negligence.

It's like arguing that if the IFE works, I deserve comp, but negligently failing to maintain the aircraft so that we have a brake problem that puts us all at risk is just OK.

I won't be writing them a letter, I was already downstairs But the attitude is surprising.
I think you're assuming way too much. Nobody on this thread has talked about compensation for the other things you mention above. So, why do you assume that everyone on FT is always demanding compensation for every little thing that goes wrong? In spite of the reputation of FTers, a lot of us don't bother with such things. In many cases, just not worth it, IMO. @:-)

Certainly, there's no harm in asking for something. Expect nothing, then be pleasantly surprised if you get some points or whatever. @:-)
Old Jul 24, 2007, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
[QUOTE=KathyWdrf;8108911]I think you're assuming way too much. Nobody on this thread has talked about compensation for the other things you mention above. So, why do you assume that everyone on FT is always demanding compensation for every little thing that goes wrong? In spite of the reputation of FTers, a lot of us don't bother with such things. In many cases, just not worth it, IMO. @:-)[QUOTE]

Huh?!? People are constantly asking for compensation for inoperative/broken things on this board. In fact, I always check this board to see if a particular hotel has had any problems. Honestly, I had never asked for compensation for a fire alarm until my last trip to Austin, when it took them 2 hours to fix the fire alarm at 4am (false alarm situation). Even then, I only asked for a free breakfast for my entire party, which both I and the hotel manager thought was fair.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 10:28 pm

Programs: FB Plat/SPG Plat/HH Gold/LHW/SLH/SK Silver
Just had two stays at Hilton Gaslamp, one night each.

First stay- upgraded to loft jacuzzi suite. Breakfast was very good.

Second stay- Not upgraded. Front desk agent lied about all the lofts being sold out due to a group that booked all of them. Offered to upgrade to king deluxe room (not much of an upgrade). After pressing he reluctantly offered me a standard room in the loft section. Once in my room I checked the Hilton site and found plenty of loft jacuzzi suites available and booked one. Went back to the lobby with my new confirmation number and offered to pay the difference. Spoke to a different agent who switched the room for me free of charge.

My main complaint is not the agents refusal to upgrade me to the jacuzzi loft which I understand might not be part of the diamond benefits; perhaps he could have offered me the room for an additional charge. I am however upset that he blatantly lied about all of the lofts being sold out. There was plenty of availability the night before as well as on the day of my arrival and since I did get my room switched it's obvious he was full of bologna.

In regards to the jacuzzi loft it's a nice room, nice tub, amenity toothpaste, and milano cookies at turndown.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 1:50 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
Quick question, can anyone comment on loft rooms with and without terrace?
Thanks!
Old Jan 19, 2008, 9:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
I stayed here in November--both on a corner balcony deluxe suite on the 12th(?) floor and in the trendy Lofts on Fifth. You get the sense that this Hilton is very chic--or that, someone did some snooping around the W when building this property. It's very mod and sleek, not overly lavish, but those looking for space (not views), and the upgrade will like the Lofts. The basic loft room (the upgrade for most Golds and Diamonds without much hassle) is a modified L-shape bedroom, with an enormous bathroom occupying the space in between the legs of the "L". The room was swell enough. Nothing spectacular about it, but it was big, and plush. Comfy. Some rooms look right in to the Hard Rock Hotel and their night scene and bright lights might not be what you bargained for--but this is the Gaslamp, folks. If I stay here again, I'd stay in the Lofts. Nice size room, turndown service with Milano cookies.

On a side note, the breakfast was really good. And the granola/yogurt parfaits and fresh squeezed OJ were super!
Old Aug 11, 2008, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
The web site shows free high speed Internet, but then has a star next to it. Is the Internet indeed free at this property? Can anyone update us as to the latest offerings in the lounge?
Old Aug 11, 2008, 10:39 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
The web site shows free high speed Internet, but then has a star next to it. Is the Internet indeed free at this property? Can anyone update us as to the latest offerings in the lounge?
I stayed there last week. There is no lounge. But you get a free breakfast in the restaurant. Great food, comically bad service.

Free internet throughout the hotel, although it was quite slow at times.

You also get a couple of free waters and Milano cookies at turndown. This was in an ordinary room. Not sure whether all guests get this or just HHonors.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 11:46 am

Not a great place - could be, but some serious misses.

No upgrades for a Diamond, and not offered one during the stay - I did ask. BTW occupancy was at 65% some of those nights. I did get free breakfast coupons, but got eh same weird service that others got. Maybe a function of teh fact that I have seen loss confusing mazes that their dining room set up.

Keys that only work if you bend them in the slot a certian way - three trips to the front desk to be taught that trick - I then taught others that were dragging their bags around teh hall at 11-00 p.m.

On the plus side - comfy bed and modern surroundings. Right across from teh Convention Center, but did not feel like the typical convention barn.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 10:19 pm

Programs: UA 2P (will be 0P next yr), HH Diamond (thank you Surpass Card!)
Has anyone stayed here recently? If so, can you give your impressions?

I will be attending a conference at the convention center and so am trying to decide between the Gaslight and the Hilton Bayfront.

Can anyone comment on comparisons between the two Hiltons? I will be Diamond by the time I arrive there.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 1:59 pm

I stayed for one night a couple of weeks ago. I had a junior suite in the Lofts, in the front of the hotel, near the trolley stop. Tons of room, wonderful bathroom, with both a jetted tub and a separate shower. The internet is wired (but free), the lobby has free wifi. My breakfast was included, since I am Hilton Hhonors gold, and you could have food off the buffet and order from the menu. One major downside, in my opinion, the trolley stops right outside the hotel frequently and there are associated bells/clanging everytime. When I commented at the front desk on check out, the clerk pointed out that this is an issue even in rooms set back from the trolley tracks, and not just in the rooms/suites at the front of the hotel He said that they provide ear plugs in the rooms as a result, but I did not see any in my suite.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jinabe
Nice location, a petite size for Hilton. But for that $$$, Marriott would be my choice. Hyatt is nearby, but it is a bit outdated.
I've got to agree. The Gaslamp Marriott is my choice for my many stays down here. Even better location than the Hilton, far superior staff and guest service, and the best rooftop bar/nightclub in the city.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 5:53 pm

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Jassy-50
Has anyone stayed here recently? If so, can you give your impressions?

I will be attending a conference at the convention center and so am trying to decide between the Gaslight and the Hilton Bayfront.

Can anyone comment on comparisons between the two Hiltons? I will be Diamond by the time I arrive there.
Just curious...Schwab IMPACT Conf. in September????
Old Jul 19, 2009, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA P, QFPM, EYG, HH D, PC PA
Our last stay at Hilton Gaslamp was about 12 months ago. As HH Diamond was upgraded and given free breakfast. The breakfast, as others have reported, was fantastic with 'entertaining' service. Let's just say they made us laugh.

Hotel has a boutique feel to it unlike most large Hiltons and we absolutely loved it. Must admit our room overlooked the trolley line and we did hear the bells but got to enjoy them.

Can't beat location to conference centre, great eating and shopping all nearby.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 8:00 am

Programs: UA 2P (will be 0P next yr), HH Diamond (thank you Surpass Card!)
Originally Posted by Billiken
Just curious...Schwab IMPACT Conf. in September????
No, sorry. It's in Sept. but it's the Calif. Bar Assn annual meeting (which is, I guess, actually in the Hyatt next to the Convention Center ).

Thank you, everyone, for your comments. I like good breakfasts. And I once lived next to the cable car tracks in San Francisco, so the trolleys will bring back some good memories.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.