Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter {US-CA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter {US-CA}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2014, 7:36 am

Programs: Lots, some no/low status some high status, can't be bothered to list them :-)
We stayed here 27-30 December 2013.

We booked a loft room, got upgraded to a balcony loft room. Our room was in the 450's. For most of the time you could just smell the food/cooking from the restaurant below. The outside corridor was never cleaned. The terrace/balcony was next to the elevator block so no view to the left, a building directly in front of you and to the right was the street. It seemed kind of pointless having a balcony there to be honest.

Being gold breakfast was included which is just as well as for a Hilton this was the worst breakfast buffet I have ever seen. You can order from the menu instead of having the buffet. The waiter was shocking, really slow and I finally had to approach him to get a drink towards the end of our meal. For some reason I still left him a tip and he was just as crap the following day.

Service was generally poor in the hotel. The cleaners failed to replenish items in the room, the front desk were slow to respond to requests.

I wouldn't stay here again. We loved San Diego though.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Private Pyle

Service was generally poor in the hotel. The cleaners failed to replenish items in the room, the front desk were slow to respond to requests.

I completely second both of these thoughts. Great city with a lot to do but the hotel leaves a lot to be desired. I've stayed at the embassy suites, the airport hotel, and Torrey pines as well as the Hyatt and Marriott both of which are far superior to any HH property in price and service. The first two HH properties mentioned were acceptable standard HH and for the price were fine. Torrey Pines is expensive and you need a car, but is right near Torrey pines state park, a real treasure.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by Private Pyle

We booked a loft room, got upgraded to a balcony loft room. Our room was in the 450's. For most of the time you could just smell the food/cooking from the restaurant below. The outside corridor was never cleaned. The terrace/balcony was next to the elevator block so no view to the left, a building directly in front of you and to the right was the street. It seemed kind of pointless having a balcony there to be honest.

Being gold breakfast was included which is just as well as for a Hilton this was the worst breakfast buffet I have ever seen. You can order from the menu instead of having the buffet. The waiter was shocking, really slow and I finally had to approach him to get a drink towards the end of our meal. For some reason I still left him a tip and he was just as crap the following day.

When I stayed there I never had an issue with the service. We always were replenished and the front desk was great for us. I guess YMMV.

The breakfast was pretty good if you get omelets or waffles. The cold selection was really lacking though and the fruit selection would have watermelon one day and not the next, it was odd. There was one waiter that was SLOW I remember. We sat there for about 20 minutes for him to come over and realize that we were done so we could get the bill. He would just disappear for a while then come back to another table and then disappear again. When we sat in the other room there were a few different women who did their jobs well.

If I had my choice, I would choose another hotel in SD. However, if someone needs a hotel in SD that's within walking distance of the convention center and gaslamp, it's not all that bad.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 10:25 am

Programs: Lots, some no/low status some high status, can't be bothered to list them :-)
Originally Posted by AnthonyF1227
When I stayed there I never had an issue with the service. We always were replenished and the front desk was great for us. I guess YMMV.

The breakfast was pretty good if you get omelets or waffles. The cold selection was really lacking though and the fruit selection would have watermelon one day and not the next, it was odd. There was one waiter that was SLOW I remember. We sat there for about 20 minutes for him to come over and realize that we were done so we could get the bill. He would just disappear for a while then come back to another table and then disappear again. When we sat in the other room there were a few different women who did their jobs well.

If I had my choice, I would choose another hotel in SD. However, if someone needs a hotel in SD that's within walking distance of the convention center and gaslamp, it's not all that bad.
That male server at breakfast must've been the same. On our last day we have female servers who were much better. I was surprised when they walked over within minutes of us arriving .

As for the breakfast itself it was the cold options I was disappointed with. I was hoping for some cold cuts really. The bacon, sausages, eggs are great if you like that sort of thing but I can't eat that these days. The omelettes I did try but some days it was challenge due to the lines and the staff and they were of a very small size. One day I asked for them to go easy on the oil, she looked at me and just starting adding things to the pan whilst looking at me saying the oil was already in there and was that okay? Obviously I said it wasn't so she just chucked it out and started again . I wasn't being awkward I have digestion and other issues when I consume too much fat.

The breakfast issue on it's own wouldn't put me off but the other things combined with it have done.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 4:13 pm

Staying here in July. I would have preferred the Bayfront, but they had a weird 3 night minimum it seemed for that weekend (the weekend before Comic-con, so not an issue there), at least with a check-in on Thursday. I'm staying 4 nights but it's 2 certificates + 1 points + 1 paid, and they weren't able to get that to work at the Bayfront.

Lots of people commenting on the breakfast but I haven't seen anything about whether or not the gold status gets the full breakfast buffet. Anyone have recent experience? Edit: crap, I see in a post above "being gold breakfast was included." Don't know how I missed that.

Anyway, our main concern will be getting to Petco so while the Bayfront might have been a tiny bit closer, this will do nicely.
Old May 26, 2014, 2:27 pm

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
My wife and I just completed a two-night stay here for a quick vacation. I almost always stay up the block at the Marriott Gaslamp but it was just too pricey this trip so I stayed here at $85 + 20,000 points per night (not bad over a holiday weekend).

Check-in & Room

The taxi from the airport was $20 - we arrived at around midnight and were upgraded to a corner room. I had meant to ask for a loft room, but was tired and forgot. Anyway, we were given one chit each per day for breakfast in the restaurant (which I will cover later). The corner room had a french balcony facing west and then a large window (which could partially open) facing to the north. Although there were earplugs on the bedside table, I didn't hear any train noise. There was some yelling and whooping from the street as the bars let out each night, but nothing too disruptive.

The room was large, the bathroom was clean and typical Hilton-y. Nothing too special but the bed was comfortable and it did just fine for us.

The hotel is located around a 3-minute walk from the Convention Center trolley station and is right on the border of the Gaslamp Quarter. One of my favorite things to do in San Diego is to wake up and go out for a run or walk on the Embarcadero and this hotel is in a perfect location for that. I've never stayed at the Hilton Bayfront but I don't think I'd like it as much over there - it's just a little too isolated and I think this property is better suited for dining and the sights. It's around 10 minutes to the airport via taxi.

Breakfast

The breakfast buffet included scrambled eggs, bacon (crisp and tasty), sausage, potatoes (above average), and nice cut fruit along with the typical breads and cereals. An omelette or eggs cooked to order were also included. As others have mentioned, we found the breakfast service to be very slow - there was only one waiter each day and that was not enough to keep up with the crowds. It took a while to resolve requests like water, other drinks, etc., and although the waiter was nice he does need some more assistance. The food was all good, it's just not the quickest place to get in and out of.

Pool and Gym

The pool is small but looked like it would be fine for splashing around. The gym I also thought was small given the size of the hotel, just a couple of treadmills and ellipticals and then weights. But then again, I suppose the weather is almost always good enough for exercising outside so the gym probably doesn't need to be too large.

Food & Final Thoughts

Unfortunately we didn't realize it until we left, but a Stone Brewing Company just opened right up the street. We went to the Liberty Station location, which is great, and next time will check out this location. Altitude, on top of the Marriott Gaslamp (which is right down the street from the Hilton), is also a great place to get a drink although it is on the pricey side.

We also tried out Magnolia Tap & Kitchen for dinner on Saturday and enjoyed that too, although Seersucker remains a favorite for me in San Diego.

In closing, the Marriott Gaslamp is a nicer hotel but for the price I would return to the Hilton.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 10:48 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
Mini Review

We just completed a 2 night stay at the Hilton Gaslamp and it was a great experience.

I had booked and paid for a 1BR suite and called the hotel to a couple days ahead to see about adding a night, but the ES where we were refused allowing us an early departure.

I called the hotel the morning of our arrival to ask about my request for a high floor and they suggested arriving early to ensure we could get the exact kind of room we requested. Arrived at 1 p.m. and we were pre-upgraded to a lovely loft terrace, which we had to decline owing to having no real separate bedroom for our little one. They were apologetic about not having a suite ready, but I did mention it was not urgent and not to rush. I'd rather have a 5 pm check in for the right kind of room. After we left to explore the city, one hour later the front desk person called to say she had a room ready. Nice attention to detail. Ended up on the 11th floor with great views.

Room was showing a tiny bit of needing some cosmetic touch ups, but everything was spotless clean and worked perfectly. Very comfortable bed and quiet AC. Worth mentioning is the internet service there was really speedy compared to most Hiltons I've been to.

The concierge was great with making reservations at restaurants in the quarter which were spot on recommendations.

Breakfast was full American off the menu or buffet - both of which were tasty and service was impeccable.

Throughout, we were treated wonderfully by all the staff - even by the maintenance guy in the elevator who asked how our stay was and he asked what could they do better. I've never had that happen before!

I met a couple of other HH Gold and Diamonds who were regulars and they said Gold/Diamond treatment was exceptional.

As a first time guest there, I could not have been more impressed with the service, location and over all experience. I learned many front line service people have been there several years and were really proud of their hotel. Road warriors can easily get a blase about traveling, but this place is a real gem for exploring San Diego. ^^
Old Jun 27, 2015, 10:56 am

Programs: WN A+/CP, HH Diamond, Enterprise Gold
Stayed here in June 2015. Booked a French balcony room with 50,000 points as it was the same as a standard room. They were asking $239 or something for the room, so the redemption wasn't great at a little over half a cent, but with a million points to use I did it anyway.

I did online checkin and accepted the room it selected, 1120. At checkin, or rather key pickup whatever we are calling it now, I asked about upgrades and was told she could put me on the 12th floor but it would be a standard room and that the French balcony was a nicer room. I didn't check to see if suites were open or push her further. She implied that I had been upgraded to the French balcony already when that is the class I booked.

I was given breakfast vouchers for the restaurant which are good for continental breakfast only. Full breakfast with made to order eggs/omlets is $10 upgrade. It looks like there is an executive dining room behind the buffet one is supposed to use, but I sat up front and they didn't complain. At 6:45 on a Saturday they were attentive and friendly. I was about the only one there.

No sign of executive lounge or mention of evening service, at least during my weekend stay.

Room was nice, but air conditioning didn't seem to be that great for a newer property. I like to leave the fan on all night so we don't hear the compressor turning on and off and to drown out some of the other noise. While it has a fan on mode, it isn't functional for my purposes. I set it down to 66 and the wife who is always cold complained about it being hot overnight.

Bathroom is standard HGI issue. In fact I would swear this place was built as an HGI based on size, decor, exterior, etc. I suppose it wasn't though. Room had a fridge under the TV, but no microwave.

Parking is valet only and $45 a night now. That seems pretty steep, but since we drove down we didn't have much of a choice. I'm sure there are cheaper options nearby, but for two nights I'm not sure it's worth it.

The grass/park in front of the hotel seems to be the only grass around for a while so lots of dogs there, many unleashed.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 9:12 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by spchester
No sign of executive lounge or mention of evening service, at least during my weekend stay.
Nope. Breakfast is good though, and the location is fantastic!
Old Apr 27, 2016, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I stayed at the Gaslamp for 3 nights from the 15th to 18th April (over the weekend) with fantastic weather.

I was given room 459 ( one of the loft rooms that I had booked) The room was large , well maintained and with good a/c and a fridge.

The pool and gym are a little small but adequate and the pool was nice to cool down in mid afternoon after walking around San diego.

There is a desk that can book tickets to the USS Midway and the Old Town trolley tour .

I generally crossed the railway tracks at the crossing and then walked over the Convention centre ( saw lots of people running up the steps to keep fit ( 100 to the top of the convention centre) to the Embarcadero.

I did not hear any whistles or bells from the tracks during the night.

I got a free continental breakfast buffet voucher. The cold selection is a little smaller than other hotels and upgraded to the full buffet for $10 and ordered an omelette made to order. No complaints about the service.

Whilst at the pool on Saturday pm, you could hear loud music from the Hard rock roof top pool near by ( pool party?) but it stopped in the evening.

This was my first time in San diego and loved it. I visited the Seaport village, the USS Midway and the seaport museum. The day I did the trolley tour it did not stop at Balboa park ( my main disappointment) as they were having an Earth day event with 150,000 people in the park but did the rest of the trolley tour.

Regards

TBS
Old Apr 29, 2016, 3:52 pm

I'll be down in SD in the near future for a conference and moved my reservation from the Marriott Marquis to this property because of that HHonors promo.

Regarding the balcony rooms, can one have a cigar on the balcony? Comfortably? I looked on TripAdvisor and the photo I saw suggest that the balcony is perhaps underwhelming, rather small and narrow.
Old May 31, 2016, 8:50 am

Programs: AA Gold (1mm) , Hilton Diamond, Aer Lingus Newbie
We just returned from a stay over memorial weekend.

I had booked a standard award room (French Balcony) and against my principals fell for the NOR-1 trap and requested a space available upgrade to a suite ($9/night) or whirlpool loft room ($27).

We checked in around 10PM and neither upgrade was available. After some prompting we were "upgraded" to a non balcony loft room on the 3rd floor facing K street.

The street noise was very annoying over the course of the weekend, it seems that all pedicabs have to have boom boxes blasting while touting for customers. The noise on Saturday afternoon was intense , I see from another poster that it was probably the Hard Rock hotel pool party.

In short we probably should have taken the originally offered room on the 11th floor.

Continental breakfast was ho-hum, The hot offerings didn't look worth $3 extra let alone $10.

The staff were all very friendly, the breakfast servers were very efficient on the 2 days we went there (wasn't worth delaying our departure for on the last day).

We had a great time in San Diego and despite my complaints about the noise the Gaslamp Hilton was ideally located. The Hilton Bayside looked remote as it was cut off by the convention center.

On a side note we picked up a rental car at the Marriot Marquis , which is set back across the trolley tracks from the hustle and bustle of the Gaslamp Quarter. So I'm sure it would have been less noisy, but my - it's a big hotel. The lobby was like grand central at rush hour.

I can highly recommend Old Town Trolley Tours as an ideal way to get your bearings. It's a hop-on , hop-off tour and covers the whole city. Make an early start though - it takes 2 hours plus even if you don't get off.

Last edited by NYScot; May 31, 2016 at 8:55 am Reason: speeling & clarification
Old May 31, 2016, 9:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by NYScot
The street noise was very annoying over the course of the weekend, it seems that all pedicabs have to have boom boxes blasting while touting for customers. The noise on Saturday afternoon was intense , I see from another poster that it was probably the Hard Rock hotel pool party.
Unfortunately, the choice in SD is often between the very noisy Gaslamp properties or the three mega-convention hotels (Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt) on the water.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:24 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond, United Global Services
Trip Report

Just finished my second stay at this hotel. My first trip I was upgraded to a one bedroom suite, and this trip I was upgraded to a loft room.

I was very excited to be upgraded to a loft room, however when I walked in I was a bit underwhelmed. Perhaps my expectations were too high? Although, I must say I really did like the room, as it did not feel like a Hilton hotel room. I also like the fact that you didn't have to go through the lobby to get to the room. Al you had to do was take one of the side doors to the terrace and then the private elevator to the room. The decor was nice.. and the TV was massive. Perhaps it was a 65 or 70 inch TV. The biggest TV I have ever seen in a Hilton hotel room.

Breakfast-As a diamond I received certificates for the continental breakfast, and could upgrade to the full breakfast for $10. However, I wanted to order off the menu. The first day, I had no idea what the coupon would get me, if I ordered from the menu, however I was pleasant surprised when the food on the menu was also comped by the breakfast coupon. The eggs Benedict was very good!

Dinner/Lunch-I ate here a few times, simply because of not wanting to deal with finding someplace on gaslmap. My meals were all above average for hotel standards. I highly recommend the Steak Chimichurri and Baja steak tacos.

Room Service- When I go to places for work, I typically am so busy that I order at least once from room service. While the menu was the same as the restaurant the up-charge was insane! $10 tray charge, 3 percent tax tourist fee, and 26 percent service charge. The menu stated that the service charge did not include gratuity. Thus, I never ordered room service.

Location-Loved the location. Super easy to walk to both the tourist spots and the convention center. I feel this has a much better location to the convention center than the other Hilton.

Compared to Hilton Bayfront-I have stayed at both hotels now. I think the Hilton Gaslamp wins on location, service, breakfast, and room decor. The Hilton Bayfront wins on view, gym, and food options. I really think the service at gaslmap was much better than bayfront because of the size difference. Gaslamp had more of a boutique hotel and did recognize diamonds, while Bayfront is so large-its impossible for them to acknowledged and remember guests each day.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:43 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by JetSet05
Just finished my second stay at this hotel. My first trip I was upgraded to a one bedroom suite, and this trip I was upgraded to a loft room.

I was very excited to be upgraded to a loft room, however when I walked in I was a bit underwhelmed. Perhaps my expectations were too high? Although, I must say I really did like the room, as it did not feel like a Hilton hotel room. I also like the fact that you didn't have to go through the lobby to get to the room. Al you had to do was take one of the side doors to the terrace and then the private elevator to the room. The decor was nice.. and the TV was massive. Perhaps it was a 65 or 70 inch TV. The biggest TV I have ever seen in a Hilton hotel room.

Breakfast-As a diamond I received certificates for the continental breakfast, and could upgrade to the full breakfast for $10. However, I wanted to order off the menu. The first day, I had no idea what the coupon would get me, if I ordered from the menu, however I was pleasant surprised when the food on the menu was also comped by the breakfast coupon. The eggs Benedict was very good!

Dinner/Lunch-I ate here a few times, simply because of not wanting to deal with finding someplace on gaslmap. My meals were all above average for hotel standards. I highly recommend the Steak Chimichurri and Baja steak tacos.

Room Service- When I go to places for work, I typically am so busy that I order at least once from room service. While the menu was the same as the restaurant the up-charge was insane! $10 tray charge, 3 percent tax tourist fee, and 26 percent service charge. The menu stated that the service charge did not include gratuity. Thus, I never ordered room service.

Location-Loved the location. Super easy to walk to both the tourist spots and the convention center. I feel this has a much better location to the convention center than the other Hilton.

Compared to Hilton Bayfront-I have stayed at both hotels now. I think the Hilton Gaslamp wins on location, service, breakfast, and room decor. The Hilton Bayfront wins on view, gym, and food options. I really think the service at gaslmap was much better than bayfront because of the size difference. Gaslamp had more of a boutique hotel and did recognize diamonds, while Bayfront is so large-its impossible for them to acknowledged and remember guests each day.
Thanks for the new TR. Will be returning here for an extended stay soon, glad still doing well. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.