Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reward Certificate Question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2008, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
I've done the 175,000 point GLON and ALON awards and they both showed up exactly as you describe with a 240,000 point total listed for the stay. I was charged the correct value of 175,000 with no hassle each time and I didn't need to do anything (except enjoy my stay of course...).

BTW, you do earn points for incidentals on an award stay, and the stay counts as a stay for elite qualification purposes.
Old Oct 3, 2008, 4:01 am

When Does a Reward Certificate Expire?

Q3FN reward cert issued 7/07 states on its face "valid thru 1/1/09." Will this certificate still be honored even though it is now longer than 1 year since when it was issued?
Old Oct 3, 2008, 10:24 am
Community Director Emerita

It sounds as though the redemption period is longer than 1 year. The real test is when you make your booking, and associate that cert number with the award night. You'll need to give your cert number to the reservation folks. If there is any problem, they will be able to advise you.
Old Oct 3, 2008, 11:41 am
Suspended

Suggest you check this sooner than later if only by making a dummy booking.

I recall there was some discussion ( controversy??) regarding the validity periods of these certs sometime ago.
Though HH would have fight on their hands if they denied me use before the printed date.

mike
Old Oct 3, 2008, 4:11 pm

I used one cert last week by calling HHonors and was advised then that it was valid through 1/1/09 and I made a reservation that I consumed at the end of last week with no apparent problem. So I am guessing that I am okay, but I have another one that I plan to use next week. However, each cert. in the fine print says redeemable for accomadations for one year from date of issue (which as June/July 2007) or the valid through date (which is 1/1/09), whichever comes first. I didn't notice this until I was reading this over on the plane on the way out to the hotel where I was using it. I am concerned that the cert. could be rejected. The hotel didn't actually need the cert. so this wasn't raised at check in. All they cared about was the cert. number. If it makes a difference, I never received the original certs. that they sent after I earned them, and I had to call in late December to have them sent to me again, so I effectively lost 6 months of ability to use them.
Old Oct 3, 2008, 4:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dldkjones
I used one cert last week by calling HHonors and was advised then that it was valid through 1/1/09 and I made a reservation that I consumed at the end of last week with no apparent problem. So I am guessing that I am okay, but I have another one that I plan to use next week. However, each cert. in the fine print says redeemable for accomadations for one year from date of issue (which as June/July 2007) or the valid through date (which is 1/1/09), whichever comes first. I didn't notice this until I was reading this over on the plane on the way out to the hotel where I was using it. I am concerned that the cert. could be rejected. The hotel didn't actually need the cert. so this wasn't raised at check in. All they cared about was the cert. number. If it makes a difference, I never received the original certs. that they sent after I earned them, and I had to call in late December to have them sent to me again, so I effectively lost 6 months of ability to use them.
Actually getting the certs resent might have worked in your favor since I clearly recall that some including myself received certs with later expirations than others had reporting here on these board seem to have got.

It seems the quirky HH system dated them later and was dependent on the date you actually got/downloaded them as opposed when they were actually earned.
Frankly I wouldnt worry too much about the wording... I used six HH award certs in Sept and those that the hotel actually asked for ( not all did) just took them and filed them with even apparently glancing at them.

mike
Old Oct 7, 2008, 6:28 pm
Original Member

You can see the Q3FN certs on your HH award redemption page if still valid. It falls off the award redemption page once the expiration date passes. Normally, the certs are issued with one year expiration, however, it seems, HH can't back date the certificate if it gets re-issued. So, by re-issuing in late Dec/1st Jan'08 triggered the later 01/01/09 expiration date.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Exec, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Plat Elite
Reward certificate quesiton - cancel and rebook stay?

I have an award stay reservation and certificate for later this month, for a trip I cannot make. However, I can likely make a similar trip before the expiration of the award certificate. Is it possible to cancel just the reservation but save the certificate for the upcoming trip?

The reward code is GLONP7, a certificate issued from prior to the points deval in January. Consequently I'm resisting rebooking the points and reissuing the certificate later, as that would deflate the value.

Diamond desk said this was not possible, but thought I'd seek other opinions. Am also planning to call back and see if I get a different answer.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
call a bunch of times & you may get the answer you are looking for....as per the rules of the program you got the right answer from the diamond desk....
Old Oct 29, 2010, 9:00 am

reuse existing certificate?

Anyone have any prior experience with cancelling a reservation and not the certificate? I know my circumstance is a bit unique, but just wondering if there are circumstances where this does work.

On the award certificate, it says "if you have not yet made a reservation, please call..." I've always taken this to imply that the grant of a certificate is completely separate from the actual reservation. It would then seem logical that you could cancel a reservation and make a replacement one, without needing to surrender or re-work your award certificate.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 9:14 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Yes, I did this not long ago. Called the Diamond Desk and told them I needed to cancel the reservation but to not cancel the reward certificate, that I would be using for another reservation soon.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 9:21 am
Suspended

Despite some (mainly useless) advice given ....I am sure I read here that old reward certificates at pre-devaluation values were able to be rebooked only at the same property ... was able to do such myself.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 10:06 am

Thanks newbluesea

Originally Posted by newbluesea
Despite some (mainly useless) advice given ....I am sure I read here that old reward certificates at pre-devaluation values were able to be rebooked only at the same property ... was able to do such myself.
Thanks for this...that's probably the best strategy for me to try, to reuse at the same property at a later date. Did you do this through diamond desk or with the hotel directly?
Old Oct 29, 2010, 12:18 pm

Programs: HH diamond
Originally Posted by Ed ONeill
Thanks for this...that's probably the best strategy for me to try, to reuse at the same property at a later date. Did you do this through diamond desk or with the hotel directly?
One thing to keep in mind is the certificate is good ONLY for ONE YEAR from the date of issuance. If your new reservation is beyond that, your certificate will no longer be valid.

With regular certificates, we can redeposit the points and have a new certificate re-issued. In your case, you can't do that without having to pay extra for the certificate.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 1:38 am
Suspended

Reward Certificate Validity

I have a reward certificate for 3 nights which is expiring pretty soon (redeemed almost a year ago).

Do I need to complete the reward stay before the expiry date, or can I actually check-in on the expiry date and check-out 3 days later (i.e 3 days after the expiry)

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.