Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Dilution of Diamond Force (with points)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dilution of Diamond Force (with points)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2011, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats

Originally Posted by sawtooth
Is Hilton becoming to hotel chains what Delta is to airlines?
I've been wondering the same thing after repeatedly getting the same "no award stays available" message for a night in the middle of Nebraska (Lincoln, Grand Island, Kearney) & for the Green Bay area.

Why am I paying ~50% premium for Hampton Inns over cheap hotels when I can't use the points?

On top of that the web site seems to have gone a bit south.

Originally Posted by mnredfox
Please don't mention Delta and Hilton together like that, you're scaring me. I'm already wiped clean due to inflation of DL pts...
Hate to break it to you but Josh, the DP manager responsible for Dultah.com, took a similar job w/ hilton about a year & half ago.

Later: Got one of them (York, NE) booked as a 25K point "diamond standard room award" after repeated tries. Part of the solution might just be keeping out of their beta version that it kept sending me back to.

Later later: Finally got Green Bay book after another 15 or so attempts. It's actually a good deal (50K points for two nights in fairly close to the air show @ Oshkosh) but was it ever frustrating. "we are experiencing technical difficults" probably gets more hits than any other Hilton page, and having to enter your pin on multiple successive pages gets extremely frustrating.

This really is the next best thing to Dultah.com -- if you're used to be offered something & then told that it's not available, you'll feel right at home here.

Last edited by MikeMpls; Jul 13, 2011 at 3:08 pm
Old Jul 13, 2011, 5:57 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Bye Bye Hilton - 8 year Diamond here.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 8:02 pm

Location: DFW from PDX - UA 1K 2MM,Lifetime HHonnors Diamond, Bonvoy AMB/LT Tit, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Me too....

This year with Hilton, 36 stays YTD ...
*Wood 39 Stays YTD with their promo net me so far 7 Cat 7 rooms.

Hilton gave me Diamond for 5 years w/o qualify since i was 10 years maintaining Diamond.

I will wait it out, but at this point, adios Hilton. Most of my colleagues have already switched.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Hate to break it to you but Josh, the DP manager responsible for Dultah.com, took a similar job w/ hilton about a year & half ago.
How you know this stuff is nothing short of impressive. I love all of your history knowledge you share, so thanks! ^

But all along, I knew there was some sort of connection.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
my checkout on the 14th of june re-qualified me for diamond this year....its the same day this thread started....had it started a couple of days earlier i wouldn't even have bothered with my last 14th june stay with hilton....i would have been happy dropping down to gold next year because now diamond means pretty much nothing over gold....

since this thread started i have had about 10 spg stays, 5 pc stays & zero hilton stays....the only other time i see myself staying at a hilton property this year would be to burn as many points as i can....this would be my 5th year as diamond & will definitely be my last....i'm sticking to spg & pc from now....
Old Jul 14, 2011, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
We will probably qualify for Diamond again (8 more stays). Most of our travel this year has been driving between Minneapolis & St. Louis, and there are a couple Hampton Inns in Cedar Rapids & esp. Marshalltown that work out really well for us. I just hope I can keep using the points.

The website is just an incredible source of frustration, worse than ever & getting even worse.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Has anyone tried this?

I'm looking for a January award break.... I see some hotels (on the beta site) without any award rooms available, not even 250,000 pt rooms. Has anyone tried a Diamond award force in such a situation? I'm currently Gold but will be a Diamond very soon and I'd like to know if any perks will come with the new level...
Old Jul 14, 2011, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by A2010
I'm looking for a January award break.... I see some hotels (on the beta site) without any award rooms available, not even 250,000 pt rooms. Has anyone tried a Diamond award force in such a situation? I'm currently Gold but will be a Diamond very soon and I'd like to know if any perks will come with the new level...
You will just have to wait and call when you become Diamond. Its hit or miss so far from reports, as you can see.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 4:22 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy LT Plat, TSA vilifier extraordinaire, Once upon a time... US Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by A2010
Try switching to the non-beta site and check again. I was making a res a month or so ago and beta showed no availability but when I switched to the old screens, there were rooms available.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 6:28 am

Programs: BA GGL
It's the inconsistency of this that's annoying me. I managed to book a room at the Cavalieri using a Diamond Force and 3 Q3FN vouchers the other day (Showing as a King, Rome view). I made a booking yesterday at the ADT Hilton, but it's not showing up in my profile and apparently hasn't gone through. So, with no standard availability left today, a room at the same price as the one I thought I had booked yesterday is now showing at 137,000 points and the woman I spoke to at the Honors desk won't allow a Diamond Force on a standard room. Grrrr She actually had the cheek to tell me that Diamond members weren't losing out as it was now a benefit that we can book a premium rooms on points! Where's the benefit? Previously I could always get a room there for 50,000 points. Now I have to pay 137,000!
Old Jul 15, 2011, 8:11 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
She actually had the cheek to tell me that Diamond members weren't losing out as it was now a benefit that we can book a premium rooms on points! Where's the benefit? Previously I could always get a room there for 50,000 points. Now I have to pay 137,000!
keep drinking the HHonors kool-aid, all will be ok............
Old Jul 15, 2011, 8:55 am
soy

Programs: various
I sent my complaint to the customer marketing management (earlier posts suggest that its a waste of time complaining to the Diamond Desk itself)
I go the email address from post 99 on this thread. I doubt it will do much but nothing to lose. I am almost set for diamond again this year but it will be my last year if this pans out as expected.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Kyo
Just tried a Conrad HKG standard reservation for Christmas on the 24-25th of Dec, no dice... wanted 199,993 points for a Harbourview Room. Standard rate apparently 50,000points. :$

It's a pity as I've had numerous wonderful stays there and I think the GM is a fantastic chap.
Originally Posted by Guava
I don't agree with your adjustments. These HH program changes should indeed lower the value of HH points. However, your reduction is irrationally drastic.
Very much a YMMV situation. I do two kinds of leisure stays where points are really an option, and spend about half my points on each:
- 4 night stays in high-end urban properties such as the Conrad HKG
- 1 night stays when on a driving trip, in areas where there are no available 3.5* Priceline options

So for me, a 30-35% reduction is quite realistic. The high end properties are going to be problematic to get four nights in a row, especially weeknights. For the low end properties, about 1/3 of the time there's an acceptable ICG property at 30% less points than a Hampton/HGI/Homewood.

Case in point, Windsor ON.
Hilton properties: 25k (Hampton), 30k/NA (Hilton)
ICG properties: 15k (HIX), 15k/NA (HI)

In most smaller cities, the HIX/HIXS is always 15-20k instead of 25-30k. In this example, it's across the street from the Hampton.

So if I'm better off earning PC to book the low end, and the high-end isn't going to be available any more, then yeah, a 30% reduction for me is realistic.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Next week I finish my last 4 stays to requal for Diamond for the last year, then it's to IHG the rest of the year.

I already have 4 IHG stays reserved, no more Hilton.

HHR, I hope you're reading this and realizing the business you'll lose from me the rest of the year because of this (likely 60-70 paid nights).
Old Jul 16, 2011, 6:51 am

i may leave also

Diamond for a number of years

have 110 nights so far this year with another 100+ till the end of the year

will probably jump ship

any advice as to marriott ( i am plat there ) or maybe give IHG a try

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.