Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Dilution of Diamond Force (with points)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dilution of Diamond Force (with points)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2011, 6:34 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Dang, you may be right now. I see you've gone through too much DL devaluation and seem to know every devaluation trick in the book.
I managed to escape most devaluations or get my pound of flesh out of them anyway, but indeed I've seen DL's dirty tricks once too often.

I said it long ago, HH is chasing DL down the road of shame. DL first started with the marriage to Amex and devaluation happened shortly thereafter. HH is just emulating if you ask me.
Indeed, I've been saying the same thing for quite some time. Another thing they both have in common is a Jeff in charge of the relevant "loyalty" program.

Years ago, I decided that HHonors Gold was sufficient for even most of those family and friends who are Hilton Diamonds. This "enhancement" just reaffirms that pursuing Diamond status with Hilton makes less sense now than what little sense it made before the "enhancement(s)".
Old Jul 6, 2011, 6:53 am

Programs: HH diamond
I agree with 777globalmilehound. There is no incentive to reach Diamond anymore. I've been Diamond for only slightly over 5 yrs, all earned the hard way. I've only used the DSA twice but it was nice to know I could almost always get a room any time. My 2 DSA were for special occasions and saved lots and lots of $$$. Several years I was off Diamond by a few stays. I would do a MR because this benefit alone was worth it to me.
But I've been watching all the changes this year. I think they came about via multiple factors: the large increase in FT and CC Diamonds, cheapening the tier, the massive numbers of points being thrown around, customer requests for point-upgrades (good if reasonable # points, not as they have done), and prb the success of the NOR-1 - they prb realized ppl are willing to pay for these rooms if a reasonable charge was floated. If as a Diamond, you no longer get a decent complimentary upgrade and the points upgrade is outrageous, wouldn't you opt for the NOR-1 payment to enhance your chances of getting a nice upgrade?

I'll just qualify for Gold this year. No reason to continue to maintain Diamond now. Both get guaranteed brekkie w/upgrade option, neither will prb get much of an upgrade, Diamond still gets EL but given how crowded so many are and the offerings dwindling, not much of an incentive.

Last edited by travelinfoo; Jul 6, 2011 at 6:58 am
Old Jul 6, 2011, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
Upon a few days of reflection, even though I'm not Diamond any more, I'm reducing my base value of my HH points that I use for planning purposes by 30% from $0.005 to $0.035. The odds of an 4-night Cat 6/7 AXON being available when I want it are going to become quite small, and I can do just as well with Cat 3-5 rooms by booking Crowne Plazas or Staybridge Suites via IHG.

This effectively puts my HH AMEX in mothballs even for the 6 points/$ categories when compared to my SPG AMEX. I need to find out if AMEX will let me convert it to a DL AMEX insead.
I don't agree with your adjustments. These HH program changes should indeed lower the value of HH points. However, your reduction is irrationally drastic.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by travelinfoo
If as a Diamond, you no longer get a decent complimentary upgrade and the points upgrade is outrageous, wouldn't you opt for the NOR-1 payment to enhance your chances of getting a nice upgrade?
Unlikely. The only thing I value from Diamond is guaranteed lounge access. Upgrades are just jam.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 9:52 am

Programs: AA PLT, WN CP, Hilton Diamond
I just tried to book a room at the Hilton Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort for July 13 - July 20. This is a Category 7 hotel (50,000 points per night). Even though a 1 King Deluxe Intracoastal room is available for $179 per night, the Diamond Desk told me that the only rooms available for point redemption were a 2 King 2 Bedroom Suite for 186,246 points per night or a 2 King 2 Queen 3 Bedroom Suite for 349,650 points per night. I requested a force for the 1 King Deluxe Intracoastal room and was told that benefit is no longer available.

I still can't believe this dilution of benefits. Hopefully they get this sorted out soon or they will lose another long time Diamond customer who earns it with stays and nights every year.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 10:52 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold, CAM Card
Originally Posted by Lookin4Points
I just tried to book a room at the Hilton Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort for July 13 - July 20. This is a Category 7 hotel (50,000 points per night). Even though a 1 King Deluxe Intracoastal room is available for $179 per night, the Diamond Desk told me that the only rooms available for point redemption were a 2 King 2 Bedroom Suite for 186,246 points per night or a 2 King 2 Queen 3 Bedroom Suite for 349,650 points per night. I requested a force for the 1 King Deluxe Intracoastal room and was told that benefit is no longer available.
This is becoming quite evil. I looked at this hotel's rewards availability through the end of the year and one can see the redemption points required rise and fall depending on season or whether there's a holiday around that time. It looks like the new Hilton rewards process makes it very difficult to redeem at the "standard rate" at popular hotels unless you choose a time off-season or very far in advance. Forget about next-week bookings at affordable points rates. It's a very sad development.

Last edited by jefftiger; Jul 6, 2011 at 12:43 pm
Old Jul 6, 2011, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
This one will be interesting to see if folks who are Diamond and earn it by staying in their hotels and spending revenue consistently and in good faith do walk away in droves.........
My last year to qualify as a diamond. I'm at 24 stays now, after 4 more it's to IHG the rest of the year (probably 60+ nights). After that, gold is all I need. Probably will figure out how to requalify with less than 16 stays too, since it's being handed away candy style these days.

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
(And I will never now)28 stays for what would be my question?
Ugh?The chance for a room upgrade perhaps a higher floor? Yawn
+1. And don't forget silly continental breakfast. Oh wait, I can get that, free lounge, and internet as gold too. Diamond = nothing anymore.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Years ago, I decided that HHonors Gold was sufficient for even most of those family and friends who are Hilton Diamonds. This "enhancement" just reaffirms that pursuing Diamond status with Hilton makes less sense now than what little sense it made before the "enhancement(s)".
Well, I should have listened to you with NWA/DL, and now I'm listening to you with Hilton. Only 4 more stays this year (probably 2 awards) and then I'm out.

Any where else I should go besides IHG?
Old Jul 6, 2011, 1:32 pm

My last year to qualify as a diamond. I'm at 24 stays now, after 4 more it's to IHG the rest of the year (probably 60+ nights). After that, gold is all I need. Probably will figure out how to requalify with less than 16 stays too, since it's being handed away candy style these days.

+1. And don't forget silly continental breakfast. Oh wait, I can get that, free lounge, and internet as gold too. Diamond = nothing anymore.

Well, I should have listened to you with NWA/DL, and now I'm listening to you with Hilton. Only 4 more stays this year (probably 2 awards) and then I'm out.

I've moved a majority of my stays to Hyatt.

I really like the idea of the Passport Escape award that includes 5 nights, free daily breakfast and 3 dinners for two

145,000 points = Hello Park Hyatt Maldives
Old Jul 6, 2011, 1:36 pm

Programs: MR PLT, HH Blue, DL, CO, Avis Preferred, Hertz President Circle, National Emerald, IHG, Omni GLD
Any where else I should go besides IHG?[/QUOTE]

I will suggest Marriott if you are going to stay more than 50 nights, the megabonuses and upgrades will make it worth it for you to be gold, besides they have alot more redemption opportunities than Hilton (Specially if you are traveling overseas you can get into great hotels for around 15k-20k per night (Or use the cat 4 certificates if they have them as part of the megabonus)
Old Jul 6, 2011, 3:10 pm

Programs: Cathay Marco Polo, AF/KLM, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, others
Originally Posted by Aldebaran
Do you remember the IHG Big Losers promotion after the 2010 points devaluation?
I hope the competitors will offer Diamond members a similar incentive to move their business to a better hotel group...
+1. And I'll be gone....
Old Jul 6, 2011, 3:48 pm

Programs: United Global Services
And what's the point of being a Diamond VIP?

I gave up trying to retain my Diamond VIP status. Starting in mid-2008, I don't what happened, but Hilton's customer service has been a nightmare! It's as if they just don't care and it doesn't matter whether you're a Diamond member or Joe Average - it's awful. I provide feedback (good or challenging) immediately following my stay and then.... nothing. Though, every once in a while, there's a follow-up discussion with a hotel manager or GM, but usually - silence.

As a frequent hotel guest, the ONLY thing I'm interested in getting these days is a room on a high floor and away from the elevator (and working Internet) - that's it! I don't need those carb-filled junk food items or extra points or free snacks, food coupons, etc. I just want a room on a high floor, away from the elevator. I can't tell you how many times that request was ignored as a Diamond member starting in mid-2008 through mid-2010. It was painful! It wasn't as though they didn't have the room. I'd check-in and then, I'd have to move rooms. It became a chronic issue. I had some other issues (the free water wasn't in the room or they "forgot" I was a Diamond; I couldn't get the upgrade for some vague reason; I did an online check-in, but prior to arrival I was DOWNGRADED to a smaller room and moved;, etc., etc., ad nauseum).

It just became too much so I started spreading the wealth. I've built Marriott points and status unexpectedly and I really dislike Marriotts. (Who's the chief interior designer at Marriott? That red and green motif is hideous.) Over a decade ago, I dismissed Hyatt's, but I'm having a resurgence because of their Park Hyatts and their Hyatt Place. Domestically, my favorite chain is the Four Seasons and (updated) Ritz-Carltons, but their presence isn't always available in those 2nd and 3rd tier cities.

Hilton?? Who cares?

[In the first quarter of this year, I was down-graded to Gold. As if I cared.]
Old Jul 6, 2011, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by seychellesbound
I've moved a majority of my stays to Hyatt.

I really like the idea of the Passport Escape award that includes 5 nights, free daily breakfast and 3 dinners for two

145,000 points = Hello Park Hyatt Maldives
Originally Posted by fandresva
I will suggest Marriott if you are going to stay more than 50 nights, the megabonuses and upgrades will make it worth it for you to be gold, besides they have alot more redemption opportunities than Hilton (Specially if you are traveling overseas you can get into great hotels for around 15k-20k per night (Or use the cat 4 certificates if they have them as part of the megabonus)[/QUOTE]

Good tips. I'll focus my stays on IHG til I requalify for RA for sure, after that maybe Hyatt or SPG. I've always been put off by Marriott in how hard they make challenges to their elite (they always gave me the cold shoulder), but at the same time I respect that they don't give elite status away.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 10:22 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
Here's a new high:

Hilton Monino - Venice
225,570 or EU519 - Executive Room
1,307,786 or EU3,009 - King Tower Suite
5,208,545 or ?? - Presidential Suite
PER NIGHT!
Originally Posted by Lookin4Points
the only rooms available for point redemption were a 2 King 2 Bedroom Suite for 186,246 points per night or a 2 King 2 Queen 3 Bedroom Suite for 349,650 points per night.
Points for a "confirmed" upgraded room on points is a great idea.

A 10-30% increase in points is probably a fair premium for a confirmed upgrade - perhaps even sweetened with a discount for Diamond and or Gold members would be a good idea... But a 300 - 500% premium or higher amount over a base award is clearly highway robbery.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 8:14 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AA Platinum
Just turned diamond a few months ago (did a challenge match due to work contract) and have stayed about 40 nights this year. Love the frequent upgrades, but hate the rewards and the diamond desk doesn't seem to help. Luckily I still get to stay at marriotts on occasion because Hilton doesn't seem to bring too much to the table in terms of diamond status beyond a nice room in during my one night stays
Old Jul 7, 2011, 11:26 am

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
Just tried to book 2 night point stay at ADT starting May 27; hotel calander says available but for 263k/n, called DD who tried to be helpful, said she sees standard rooms but cannot get the 50k/n to go through and blamed it on the new web site. All she could do for now is open a case file and said I would be contacted with 5 working days. I said it seems the ADT simply doesn't want point guests as the whole month of June seems blocked; she said no, be patient and was confident I could get the 50k rooms.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.