Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Dilution of Diamond Force (with points)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dilution of Diamond Force (with points)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2011, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by sjuhawk_jd
This is just ridiculous!!! I am glad I am still maintaining my SPG platinum status.
You don't think Starwood plays the exact same shenanigans?
Old Jun 20, 2011, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Herb687
You don't think Starwood plays the exact same shenanigans?
I think all the hotel chains do.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HYATT DIA
FIRST, make sure that you are talking to someone at the Diamond Desk. I recently called and thought I was and found out I was not (they route calls when busy) so now I always start with: "Am I speaking with the Diamond Desk?"

Then let them you know you want them to put in the request. My first agent did not want to and I was honest that she could do it or I would call back and find someone else who would. She did it and 5 days later the hotel approved it and Voila - I had it.

Never give up. This is a benefit. Just remind them. If not, try someone else.

Cheers!
Old Jun 20, 2011, 3:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JAFU007
FIRST, make sure that you are talking to someone at the Diamond Desk. I recently called and thought I was and found out I was not (they route calls when busy) so now I always start with: "Am I speaking with the Diamond Desk?"

Then let them you know you want them to put in the request. My first agent did not want to and I was honest that she could do it or I would call back and find someone else who would. She did it and 5 days later the hotel approved it and Voila - I had it.

Never give up. This is a benefit. Just remind them. If not, try someone else.

Cheers!
If you want your opinion to be heard and Count the DD is No good , call the DD and ask for Customer Relations. Thats what the DD agent told me and transferred me

Had a nice chat with both, my main pt was Can you please tell me why not Only I should remain staying with Hilton but why should I Requalify as a Diamond/ what is the difference now going forward between a Diamond and a Gold and I have no reason to be a Gold, Basically they couldnt! and agreed with me its a Dumb move

I told them as having top status with UA I have special inventory available to me that a non 1K doesnt, that doesnt mean there will Always be a flight I can cash in for at the Saver level but they never have told me well Mr Caz you can cash in 2x the # of miles and get an Anytime Tkt or Mr Craz you can get a 1st class saver tkt, which is what Hilton is now telling me. I said If I wanted to cash in for a better room thats 1 thing, but Diamond was special simply knowing the Force if needed was there , now with that gone so will I be. I cant see 1 reason why to remain with Hilton and be Diamond when Gold will get me the samethings, why should I spend the extra $$$ and Nights with Hilton, there was no answer and she said if enough call up and complain they may have no choice but to go back to what was
Old Jun 20, 2011, 4:28 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond United Gold
What else I don't understand is how we can be guaranteed a room if we book it 48 hours in advance but the request can take 5 to 7 business days. Shouldn't we be able to also "force" the decision within 48 hours?
Old Jun 20, 2011, 9:10 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by rsgrauer
What else I don't understand is how we can be guaranteed a room if we book it 48 hours in advance but the request can take 5 to 7 business days. Shouldn't we be able to also "force" the decision within 48 hours?
I guess the "red tape" will move quickly if you reservation dates are within 48 hours and move "slowly" if not!
Old Jun 20, 2011, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I was always under the impression the property took a huge hit on a reward stay and only got a few dollars on a reward stay from Hilton. If that is the case, I am surprised Hilton is able to force a franchise to give up rooms when the property is able to get rack rates
Old Jun 20, 2011, 9:54 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I was always under the impression the property took a huge hit on a reward stay and only got a few dollars on a reward stay from Hilton. If that is the case, I am surprised Hilton is able to force a franchise to give up rooms when the property is able to get rack rates
Very true, and HH was the only programme offering this for reward stays...which is (was?) a great benefit. It's logical that it wasn't financially feasible for them, and those bailing to other programmes won't find this benefit there (but they may find other perks HH doesn't offer, e.g. suite upgrades at SPG).

I do agree though that this was by far the main differentiator between gold and diamond, and as such, makes the incentive to achieve the latter much less.

As a minor anecdote: called up to make a one-night reservation, told the hotel was sold out. Asked for a special request, was put on hold and was suggested to book at a nearby hilton family property which had availability. Now, I knew this beforehand, and wasn't too bothered which one I preferred - just wanted to test the 'force' issue for myself. I didn't push since I didn't feel strongly, and just took the alternative, but it certainly seems at the very least that the DD is reluctant to put through these requests now.

tb
Old Jun 20, 2011, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Reward compensation to the hotel depends on occupancy (search on this). So when the occupancy is high, the hotel gets rack rates anyway. No loss to them.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 9:03 am

satori has now blogged the story, with a link to this thread.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 11:31 am

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere
This was on the american forum last year:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ecure-swu.html

I remember something else a year or so ago about someone getting a letter from their fraud dept.
Yes, but there is a difference between what that passenger was doing and creating fake suite reservations in order to force a hotel to quit breaching their contract and do what they are contractually obligated to do for the benefit of the third-party beneficiaries, i.e. we folks.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Ok, it's official (for me at least). I called the DD, who transferred me to corporate Guest Assistance. They then called the DSR desk to confirm this.

The answer is yes, info here is correct. If a property is participating in offering what HH's calls "extended rewards" (premium rooms, suites etc) and for a specific date is offering those extended rooms for reward redemption, even if the std rooms are not available for reward redemption you CANNOT do a DSR.

At the end of the call, I simply asked the Guest Assistance person to pass my high dissatisfaction up to mgmt. No apology, no thank you for loyalty, just "I will."

to Hilton. Time for to fire off some emails to the diamond desk and hilton corporate for this negative change. I don't think I'm going for diamond anymore.

What are the emails to send?

DD is [email protected], or is it [email protected] (my archives show this is Diamond Special Services)
FT is [email protected] (is it still Cynthia)?

Does HHR respond to anything?

Any others? Goto website to complain?

Last edited by mnredfox; Jun 21, 2011 at 12:41 pm
Old Jun 21, 2011, 3:33 pm
soy

Programs: various
this is a huge devaluation. All diamonds should register their disgust. With this change there is no difference between the loyal diamond customer and those who get free gold via one of the many offers. The mind boggles at the logic that hilton are using on this one
Old Jun 21, 2011, 3:34 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
This certainly is one way for a hotel "loyalty" program operator to burn some of its programs' big account balance customers so that such customers either end up burning far more points for far less in return or not burning their points at all.

to Hilton for gutting one of the only Hilton Diamond benefits that really differentiated Hilton Diamond status from Hilton Gold status.

I think all the hotel chains do.
Not all hotel chains do. Increasingly Hilton is becoming to US hotel "loyalty" program customers what Delta Airlines already is to US airline "loyalty" program customers.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder

Not all hotel chains do. Increasingly Hilton is becoming to US hotel "loyalty" program customers what Delta Airlines already is to US airline "loyalty" program customers.
After rapid deterioration of HH a few years back i thought things have stabilized but clearly they are determined to continue killing the program.

Ironically while other loyalty programs struggle with getting hotels to offer loyalty benefits, HH itself is trying to screw its members while the few hotels I've been to this year were rather nice to diamonds.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.