FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dilution of Diamond Force (with points)
View Single Post
Old Jul 6, 2011, 3:48 pm
SFO_UGS

Programs: United Global Services
And what's the point of being a Diamond VIP?

I gave up trying to retain my Diamond VIP status. Starting in mid-2008, I don't what happened, but Hilton's customer service has been a nightmare! It's as if they just don't care and it doesn't matter whether you're a Diamond member or Joe Average - it's awful. I provide feedback (good or challenging) immediately following my stay and then.... nothing. Though, every once in a while, there's a follow-up discussion with a hotel manager or GM, but usually - silence.

As a frequent hotel guest, the ONLY thing I'm interested in getting these days is a room on a high floor and away from the elevator (and working Internet) - that's it! I don't need those carb-filled junk food items or extra points or free snacks, food coupons, etc. I just want a room on a high floor, away from the elevator. I can't tell you how many times that request was ignored as a Diamond member starting in mid-2008 through mid-2010. It was painful! It wasn't as though they didn't have the room. I'd check-in and then, I'd have to move rooms. It became a chronic issue. I had some other issues (the free water wasn't in the room or they "forgot" I was a Diamond; I couldn't get the upgrade for some vague reason; I did an online check-in, but prior to arrival I was DOWNGRADED to a smaller room and moved;, etc., etc., ad nauseum).

It just became too much so I started spreading the wealth. I've built Marriott points and status unexpectedly and I really dislike Marriotts. (Who's the chief interior designer at Marriott? That red and green motif is hideous.) Over a decade ago, I dismissed Hyatt's, but I'm having a resurgence because of their Park Hyatts and their Hyatt Place. Domestically, my favorite chain is the Four Seasons and (updated) Ritz-Carltons, but their presence isn't always available in those 2nd and 3rd tier cities.

Hilton?? Who cares?

[In the first quarter of this year, I was down-graded to Gold. As if I cared.]