Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Dilution of Diamond Force (with points)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dilution of Diamond Force (with points)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2011, 10:47 am

Programs: HH diamond
Originally Posted by craz
isnt the free breakfast only in the club, and in order for a Gold to get access they would have to have their MyWay switched onto Upgrades, and then if you dont get it No Breakfast either. Only a Diamond gets access whether they were UPed or not. Then again in a # of hotels the 1000 pts was worth more then what they have in the lounge

since I could get some eats and drinks very cheap here in the States I always took the Pts, overseas is something else and always went with the Upgrade
As long as their MyWay is set to the Upgrade option, Gold will get free continental breakfast whether or not they get an upgrade. Gold will NOT get access to the EL if they are not upgraded to an ER. Diamonds will, even without the ER, as long as their MyWay is set for the upgrade option.

I am like you in the US. I take the points because the breakfasts are usually pretty sad and many hotels don't have a decent EL.
Overseas, I always use the MyWay upgrade option.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by RDU-Man
Hey- this manual is great! We need to publicize it more widely on FT! In addition to confirming that Diamonds are not subject to Length of Stay Requirements, I found an item on page 104 that states we are supposed to get $200 cash for being walked (in addition to any points earned). I was not aware of that, but will file away for future reference.

c. Relocation/Dishonored Diamond VIP reservations.
In addition to actions listed in Section 8.1.8. a. c., the following actions must also be
followed:
i. A Diamond VIP (and Preferential Gold VIP) member must be the last guest to be
relocated. The hotel must follow the following Standards for all guests with
guaranteed reservations who are relocated:
Relocated guests must receive the best available accommodations if returning to
the hotel on a multiple night stay after being relocated.
ii. For Diamond VIP members ONLY:
This relocation and all pertinent information must be reported to Guest
Assistance as soon as possible and no later than one hour after the actual
relocation. If possible, communication should take place in advance of the
relocation.
An immediate inconvenience compensation of $200 cash must be paid to the
member.
The hotels General Manager or General Managers representative must
immediately telephone the Diamond VIP member to apologize for failing to honor
a reservation.
The hotel must also provide the Diamond VIP member with Points & Miles credit
for any nights the member was relocated. The hotel must pay the normal cost of
the points and miles.
Good stuff! Thanks for posting this. If you find any more nuggets, please feel free to share them as well!
Old Aug 11, 2011, 11:18 am

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Originally Posted by azepine00
For the sake of clarity, SPG suites are usually 100% extra in points not "1K-3K".
Sorry, should have been clearer. The official SPG policy is the 100%, but I've never paid even close to that, even well in advance. The most I've ever paid (per night) for a suite is an extra 3K on normal redemption levels.

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Good point, azepine00, re the Starwood policy. But for what it's worth, individual Starwood properties (at least some abroad) sometimes do provide suite upgrades for a relative smattering of points. Within the last few years, we "paid" approximately 2,000 points to upgrade to suites in Le Meridien Khao Lak (Thailand) and the Western Cape Hotel and Spa in South Africa (though very sadly, the latter is leaving or has left Starwood). And these were arranged well in advance, not upon check-in.

I continue to hope that the crazy figures we're seeing for Hilton upgrades will disappear once the new system is firmly in place and policed, but I'm a wishful thinker.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by RDU-Man
Hey- this manual is great! We need to publicize it more widely on FT! In addition to confirming that Diamonds are not subject to Length of Stay Requirements, I found an item on page 104 that states we are supposed to get $200 cash for being walked (in addition to any points earned).
Good stuff! Thanks for posting this. If you find any more nuggets, please feel free to share them as well!
But please post in a suitable thread, keeping the current one focused on the title topic.

Re the policy for walking Diamonds, there are several existing threads, including http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16853805-post9.html, where I posted the terms (and a link to the operating standards manual) last week.

Last edited by beltway; Aug 11, 2011 at 1:36 pm Reason: sheer orneriness
Old Aug 11, 2011, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by beltway
But please post in a suitable thread, keeping the current one focused on the title topic.

Re the policy for walking Diamonds, there are several existing threads, including http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16853805-post9.html, where I posted the terms (and a link to the operating standards manual) last week.
Agreed, needs to be in the right thread. I had thought that someone said the forum sticky had a link to other manuals, but I don't see it. I have found the ES manual (2011 edition) thru Google. Didn't try the other brands
Old Aug 11, 2011, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by jasonvr
Agreed, needs to be in the right thread. I had thought that someone said the forum sticky had a link to other manuals, but I don't see it. I have found the ES manual (2011 edition) thru Google. Didn't try the other brands
See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...cavalieri.html for links to various manuals.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dcstudent
Sorry, should have been clearer. The official SPG policy is the 100%, but I've never paid even close to that, even well in advance. The most I've ever paid (per night) for a suite is an extra 3K on normal redemption levels.
Good point, azepine00, re the Starwood policy. But for what it's worth, individual Starwood properties (at least some abroad) sometimes do provide suite upgrades for a relative smattering of points. Within the last few years, we "paid" approximately 2,000 points to upgrade to suites in Le Meridien Khao Lak (Thailand) and the Western Cape Hotel and Spa in South Africa (though very sadly, the latter is leaving or has left Starwood). And these were arranged well in advance, not upon check-in.
Can you please comment in a thread on SPG forum as Starwood Lurker indicated that low point upgrades are rather uncommon
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...-examples.html
Thanks
Old Aug 11, 2011, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by azepine00
Can you please comment in a thread on SPG forum as Starwood Lurker indicated that low point upgrades are rather uncommon
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...-examples.html
Thanks
Oh, I know far more about the Starwood system than Starwood Lurker does.

I suspect that Lurker (who's great, by the way) is right. I haven't checked much for the Starwood low points upgrade option, especially since recently I've been redeeming points at HH properties more than at Starwood. In my very limited experience, it seems to work best at properties that are relatively low tiers but high value, such as those I lucked out with upgrades at in Thailand and South Africa.

Anyway, it certainly can be worth calling a Starwood CSR when booking to see if that option is available. As I noted, a couple of times it worked out great for me. And dcstudent reports having similar experiences, except possibly more often.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Added dcstudent to the list. Keep property updates coming please.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Oh, I know far more about the Starwood system than Starwood Lurker does.

I suspect that Lurker (who's great, by the way) is right. I haven't checked much for the Starwood low points upgrade option, especially since recently I've been redeeming points at HH properties more than at Starwood. In my very limited experience, it seems to work best at properties that are relatively low tiers but high value, such as those I lucked out with upgrades at in Thailand and South Africa.

Anyway, it certainly can be worth calling a Starwood CSR when booking to see if that option is available. As I noted, a couple of times it worked out great for me. And dcstudent reports having similar experiences, except possibly more often.
It also depends a lot on the definition of a suite and the specific property. Some properties (e.g. Sheraton Skyline LHR) only have junior suites, some properties have a mix of junior and real suites and some properties have rooms which are effectively suites but badged as something else. Some properties have no suites at all but may have rooms which are quite "suite like" even if not formally identified as suites. Some properties just have regular room types.

The only really constant in the SPG programme is that a redemption to a real suite (usually Executive Suite type room) is normally double the number of points for a base redemption room. However redemptions to junior suite type rooms (which in practice can be little different from real suites) can be had for 25% to 50% more points.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 12:14 pm

Programs: Delta DM, HH D, Starwood Plat, Hertz PC
Please add me to the list. I leave tomorrow for Africa for 2 weeks and then France for one. I found a rewards ticket for my wife for 60k to meet me in Paris. We even get to fly back together. First 2 weeks will be paid, just wanted to use points the last 4 nights w/ my wife. Looking at the Hiltons in Paris 139k plus per night, no way will I use that many points for a one night stay. DD was no help either. Even asked for a supervisor, got transferred to a person named Perry. Said he was Hilton corporate. He was no help either and actually mad at me for even asking for the diamond force. This is the first time they let me down and I was told it is how things are moving forward. So all my hotel stays on this trip will be in Crown Plaza, so far over $1500 w/more to book. Got 4 nights at the CP in downtown Paris for 25k per night. I will not stay at anymore Hilton chain hotels at this time. Diamond till '13. Really wish I would have known this earlier as I could have stayed at another chain. I really hate starting over, but will not at this time give any money to Hilton.

Originally Posted by mnredfox
Mods,

Can you add a post in the beginning of the thread, so we can keep a running tally of all hotels that no longer allow diamond force due to this dilution?

I'll happily own the first post and compile the list. So far:

Hilton Malta
Hilton ADT - Paris
Hilton Arc de Triomphe
Hilton Sorrento Italy
Hilton Faro
Hilton Cyprus
Hilton Dubrovnik
Hilton Watford
Hilton Monino-Venice
Hilton Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort
Hilton Seychelles
Hilton Istanbul
Hilton Cavalieri Rome
Conrad HKG

Seeking greener pastures (i.e. not re-qualifying for diamond)
mnredfox
Keyser
Land-of-Miles
azepine00
bartokian
mamb0
jkburns01
craz
pauleeepaul
Ritz
ytjk
ElmhurstNick
diaspora04
777 global mile hound
travelinfoo
seychellesbound
Rockhopper24
holtju2
Kyo
attorney28
dhsafiee
bharv
EngineeringConsultant
Explore
P D N
AJLondon
dcstudent
Old Aug 27, 2011, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Added you to the list. Mods, can we please add a poll similar to the Delta one about award changes:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...le-change.html
Old Aug 29, 2011, 11:22 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, HH Diamond, MR/RC Plat, KLM Plat, AS MVPG75K, UA Gold
Add the Conrad Brussels to the list of Hhonors rip-off's....138K per night for a "signature room" the next category up from their standard room
Old Aug 30, 2011, 7:56 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Back in January, I booked a 7 night VIP reward stay at the jan 2012 stay at the Hilton Sydney for 37,500 a night or 262,500 in a HILTON GUESTROOM PLUS. Shortly afterward there were no reward stays available ever. I just checked tonight after reading this thread - the same room I booked is now 107,407/night for a premium room or 751,849 for the exact same stay - a 286% increase now that they have "enhanced" the program...fail. Good thing I booked when I did
Old Aug 30, 2011, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by edge0329
Back in January, I booked a 7 night VIP reward stay at the jan 2012 stay at the Hilton Sydney for 37,500 a night or 262,500 in a HILTON GUESTROOM PLUS. Shortly afterward there were no reward stays available ever. I just checked tonight after reading this thread - the same room I booked is now 107,407/night for a premium room or 751,849 for the exact same stay - a 286% increase now that they have "enhanced" the program...fail. Good thing I booked when I did
Actually, that's a 186% increase. (In verbal terms, it costs almost three times as much = "almost twice as much more".)

Nitpicking aside, it's still inexcusable that Hilton permits properties to pull this nonsense.

P.S. Welcome to FT!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.