FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dilution of Diamond Force (with points)
View Single Post
Old Jul 15, 2011, 11:45 am
ElmhurstNick
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Kyo
Just tried a Conrad HKG standard reservation for Christmas on the 24-25th of Dec, no dice... wanted 199,993 points for a Harbourview Room. Standard rate apparently 50,000points. :$

It's a pity as I've had numerous wonderful stays there and I think the GM is a fantastic chap.
Originally Posted by Guava
I don't agree with your adjustments. These HH program changes should indeed lower the value of HH points. However, your reduction is irrationally drastic.
Very much a YMMV situation. I do two kinds of leisure stays where points are really an option, and spend about half my points on each:
- 4 night stays in high-end urban properties such as the Conrad HKG
- 1 night stays when on a driving trip, in areas where there are no available 3.5* Priceline options

So for me, a 30-35% reduction is quite realistic. The high end properties are going to be problematic to get four nights in a row, especially weeknights. For the low end properties, about 1/3 of the time there's an acceptable ICG property at 30% less points than a Hampton/HGI/Homewood.

Case in point, Windsor ON.
Hilton properties: 25k (Hampton), 30k/NA (Hilton)
ICG properties: 15k (HIX), 15k/NA (HI)

In most smaller cities, the HIX/HIXS is always 15-20k instead of 25-30k. In this example, it's across the street from the Hampton.

So if I'm better off earning PC to book the low end, and the high-end isn't going to be available any more, then yeah, a 30% reduction for me is realistic.