Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Phony / false / not really Hilton and Hilton properties

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Phony / false / not really Hilton and Hilton properties

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2018, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's a strange sign on the Hotel Plaza in Targu Mureș, Romania. It says partner "Hilton The Diamond Club". They told me it used to be a Hilton. Maybe bmi and Hilton had involvement in the business...

Old Sep 29, 2018, 10:30 am

Hilton's in Bali

Originally Posted by GordonGordon
The Jakarta Hilton International is a fake Hilton, but it is nicer than a lot of top notch real Hiltons!
I recall in the early 2000's, there were no official Hilton hôtels in Bali, although there existed properties doing business under the Hilton brand. FWK, there had been a dispute with Hilton, and the properties unilaterally pulled out of the franchise agreement while retaining the branding. This lasted for quite some time, .IIRC.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 11:22 am

The thread title says "properties", and not "hotels", so possibly the "Lamma Hilton Shum Kee Seafood Restaurant" in Lamma Island, Hong Kong, qualifies:

https://www.openrice.com/en/hongkong...-seafood-r1812

I didn't actually eat there, but walked past a few times; some of the older signs prominently add the word "genuine." Reviews of the food seem positive, however.

rmxjzr
Old Oct 2, 2018, 11:37 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Near where I grew up, a local industrialist had his own hotel. His last name was Hylton, and Hilton sued his "Hylton Hotel" for trade infringement. He ended up renaming it (and at some point not long after that, closed the place IIRC). This was in WV.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:28 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Here in the uk in Lowestoft we had a homeless shelter called " The Hilton " .....this was back in the 1970s, I remember it always used to make people laugh on the bus as it queued to get over the bridge......I was only a kid and never understood the humour at the time.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
My dog goes to the "Hilton Animal Hospital" which is so named because of the street that its on. Although their website doesn't have it their sign on the street is rather reminiscent of old Hilton hotels branding.

My dog has one night towards lifetime status there...

wizla likes this.

Last edited by Fraser; Oct 3, 2018 at 2:22 pm
Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Fraser
My dog has one night towards lifetime status there...
Hopefully pupper never so much as makes Silver there.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by PanGalactic
OT, but there is an award winning hotel in Cyprus brazenly using the Four Seasons name.

It's actually a really nice place and the service there is impecable, so it definitely lives up to the name. I visited it a couple of weeks ago and it was absolutely buzzing. All the other hotels on the strip were dead at the time as it's currently out of season for that resort, but this place was packed!

Apparently it all went to court a few years back and they won because their logo was different.

http://www.fourseasons.com.cy/
There are some Vier Jahrzeiten hotels in Germany.

There must be a bunch of hotels in Hilton Head with Hilton Head in their names.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 8:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There must be a bunch of hotels in Hilton Head with Hilton Head in their names.
Of course, like "The Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa" - stayed there many time and was
always treated there as Platinum but not Diamond!
Old Oct 4, 2018, 6:08 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, M&M, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by wizla
Here in the uk in Lowestoft we had a homeless shelter called " The Hilton " .....this was back in the 1970s, I remember it always used to make people laugh on the bus as it queued to get over the bridge......I was only a kid and never understood the humour at the time.
In my previous place, there was residential building called Sheraton, 70. style, looking like ex-council.
wizla likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 7:25 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by PanGalactic
OT, but there is an award winning hotel in Cyprus brazenly using the Four Seasons name.

It's actually a really nice place and the service there is impecable, so it definitely lives up to the name. I visited it a couple of weeks ago and it was absolutely buzzing. All the other hotels on the strip were dead at the time as it's currently out of season for that resort, but this place was packed!

Apparently it all went to court a few years back and they won because their logo was different.

http://www.fourseasons.com.cy/
There's a Four Seasons in central Missouri - a lake resort in the Ozarks. I remember going there as a kid thinking it was the real Four Seasons. It was considered one of the better lake resorts in the area (although nowhere remotely near a luxury property) and I think it's actually still there.

There's also an apartment building near my house in Kansas City called the St. Regis. Older but well-kept building that has kind of a classic New York City look to it, so it kind of fits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.