Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Phony / false / not really Hilton and Hilton properties

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Phony / false / not really Hilton and Hilton properties

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2010, 9:54 am

Programs: AF Frequence Plus Rouge pour toujours, BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, BW Rewards Diamond
There's a Hilton restaurant near the Ramses Hilton in Cairo. Obviously no relation.

UTA
Old Nov 2, 2010, 4:01 am

Then there was the Hanoi Hilton.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanoi_Hilton
Old Nov 2, 2010, 7:18 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
And now there is once more - Hilton Hanoi Opera. <link> So much better than the wryly named original, which I have also visited - their frequent guest program was really awful. They have tried rebranding, but the truth is Hoa Lo was a terrible place for many years under all management.

Hoa Lo VIP room upgrade, similar to that
given to former US military hero and
Presidential candidate John S. McCain III

Originally Posted by Helsinki Flyer
Then there was the Hanoi Hilton.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanoi_Hilton

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 8, 2011 at 5:25 pm
Old Nov 2, 2010, 9:27 am

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
Embassy Suite Hotel Shanghai
Old Nov 2, 2010, 10:33 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Only one suite, eh? I seem to recall a similar non-Embassy Suites in Santiago, Chile on Avenida Condell? Ah, yes... The "Embassy Suites Santiago". <link>

Originally Posted by rdchen
Old Nov 3, 2010, 1:32 am

Programs: UA 1P; Delta Gold; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond; ICH Amb; Marriott Gold
Only slightly off topic - In Folly Beach, SC there is a Holiday Inn that actually is a Holiday Inn (Holiday Inn Oceanfront is the formal name).

Down the street, literally 2-3 blocks away, is another property: The Holliday Inn

http://www.hollidayinnfollybeach.com/

"Thank you for your interest in the Holliday Inn of Folly Beach. We are a small friendly Inn, not affiliated with the large hotel chain. Our size and location offers a unique private setting for guests to relax and enjoy the beach, while avoiding the crowds of larger hotels. We have 14 rooms all with heat & air conditioning, full baths, phones, and cable TV."

I don't know how they get away with it - imagine showing up at this place with your family only to find out you've been duped!
Old Nov 6, 2010, 8:40 pm

Programs: Various
Another one is the "Formerly the Blackball Hilton" (that's the full name), which is right outside of Greymouth, NZ. It has an interesting history, is a fun & funky place, and has great food and pints.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 5:20 am

Panama City Beach has a Holiday Inn Resort (formerly the Sunspree) that is operated by the LC Hilton Family. I think that this family also owns the newly rebranded Holiday Inn Vacation property in the Marriott Bay Point Resort. So there you have it..the Hilton family operates a Holiday Inn in the Marriott Bay Point complex. All bases covered.

FWIW, I was really surprised when I saw the Hilton name on the operator's certificate during my first HI stay
Old Apr 7, 2011, 1:35 pm

Programs: DL PM; Marriott Plat; Hilton Honors Gold
Atlantic City Hilton and other “fake” Hiltons

Does anyone know what the deal is with the Atlantic City Hilton? It uses the Hilton name but does not appear to be affiliated with Hilton in anyway. It is not bookable on the Hilton website nor does it participate in Honors. What a horrible way to add to brand confusion.

Does anyone know of any other “fake” Hiltons?

(This honestly reminds me of the "Sheraton" in Baghdad.)
Old Apr 7, 2011, 5:01 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
I don't believe the Hanoi Hilton was a real Hilton.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 7:19 pm
alc

According to Wiki for the Atlantic City Hilton, this used to be own by Hilton Corp. I guess as Hilton sold it, it work out something to allow the new owner to keep the word "Hiton" in it.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 10:16 am

Programs: UA-lifetime Platinum (2MM), IHG-Amb, HH-Diamond, Hertz-PC, Marriott-Gold, CX-AM
The Jakarta Hilton International is a fake Hilton, but it is nicer than a lot of top notch real Hiltons!
Old Jun 12, 2012, 3:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Silver, Aeroplan 25K, DVC
Holiday Inn

Originally Posted by erndog

I don't know how they get away with it - imagine showing up at this place with your family only to find out you've been duped!
If it's an older property, perhaps it was originally named after the Bing Crosby movie from 1942 rather than the hotel chain that started in 1952.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 5:25 pm
Suspended

Fairfield Inn

Ok not a Hilton prop but not a Marriott either.

In Fairfield,Ct theres a hotel thats called Fairfield Inn I guess they were sued by Marriott since its now Fairfield Inn by Macy
Old Jun 13, 2012, 6:22 am

Programs: HHonors (Diamond), SPG, Marriott Rewards, ALoyalty, Club Carlson, M&M
Strange Hilton by-product in Zurich, Switzerland

I think this is strange enough. Don't know if you'll get points there, but if I were Conrad Hilton, I wouldn't want that place in my portfolio.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...lattbrugg.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.