Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Conrad Algarve {PRT}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by PaulH1
just completed our sixth stay at Conrad Algarve and it has been faultless, infact I would say it was our best stay yet.

We stayed for 6 nights and It has been a true 5 star experience, the staff here are amazing.

Previous stays have been very good but not faultless but this time everything has been fantastic

On arrival we was welcomed like family

Housekeeping consistent with room cleaned by 11am and turndown same time every night.
Chocolate left on pillow each evening with personalised note
Extra tea and coffee left at morning clean and refilled again at turndown.
Daily newspaper arrived every morning
Bottle of sparking wine left in room and large bowl of fresh fruits.
Pool service consistent with welcome non alcoholic drink and iced water each morning.
Breakfast service outstanding and high quality food and lots of choice
Now there is a new cooking station in operation for omelettes and poached eggs etc
Granola is a new addition and some mornings there were bacon sandwiches.
Every Wednesday they now have welcome drinks in Gusto for Gold and Diamond members between 6pm and 7pm
If anyone is contemplating staying at Conrad Algarve in the near future I do not think you will be dissapointed.
Management are doing a fantastic job at this hotel and are a real credit to the Conrad brand.
Thanks for the detailed report, sounds amazing! How was the pool/weather during April? Warm enough to swim?
Old Jan 26, 2019, 4:53 pm

I have a summer booking at this hotel and was surprised with the 30-day cancellation period; is this normal for this hotel? Also, if you have not booked a non-refundable rate, do they pre-authorize the credit card on file or do they do so when you actually check in?
Old Jan 27, 2019, 3:14 am

Programs: HH Diamond,Virgin Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Weather last April was low 20s and pleasant with a fair bit of cloud
We don't like sun scorching hot so it suited us, you could still wear shorts and t shirt
This time of year weather can be a bit hit and miss so it's a gamble
Swam every day and water was cold but not freezing
Already booked to return again this April
Old Mar 4, 2019, 8:15 am

Looking at a week's summer holiday in Portugal - is it worth splitting time between this Conrad and Hilton Vilamoura (or indeed any other hotel)? i.e. is 7 nights a bit much for this property?
Old Mar 4, 2019, 4:48 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club refugee: BA-Br; HH-D
Originally Posted by kryten22uk
Looking at a week's summer holiday in Portugal - is it worth splitting time between this Conrad and Hilton Vilamoura (or indeed any other hotel)? i.e. is 7 nights a bit much for this property?
No, 7 nights is fine - I had 6 nights in October and could have stayed longer. I don't think it is worth splitting the trip because of the hassle of moving. Plus, Vilamoura is a pleasant short drive away so you can easily visit if you like.
It is worth considering which location suits you best and what the cost difference is - the Conrad can hit some pricey room rates in high season.

I'm looking at booking another trip later this year but might end up returning to the hilton since it is around EUR100 per night cheaper. Both hotels are good - the Conrad is definitely best, but the value at a 100E delta is debatable.

Enjoy your trip, wherever you stay!
Old Mar 24, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond
I have completed a 5 night stay on points. Honestly, I thought, this stay was out of this world. The staff's kindness and motivation is hard to believe, but true, consistently.

Pre-arrival upgrade from King Deluxe to a King Deluxe with pool view. On arrival upgraded to a Grand Deluxe Suite (no pool view). High quality in the suite everywhere plus a large balcony. We were overly happy. The GM took her time to great us on arrival and on departure.

As reported before here, excellent house-keeping and reliable turn-down service. Breakfast was extraordinary in terms of items and service. We only used the sauna once but not the outdoor pools which were opened only few days before our arrival.

There is a "cocktail experience" for Diamonds. You just have to register with the front-desk and from what I understand, this is necessary for an individualized experience. The bar keeper created a special cocktail for us while having a conversation with us about cocktails, ingredients, preferences and experiences.

We took advantage of the small supermarket at the other side of the road in the little shopping mall. We ate in one of the "Italian" restaurants one night but honestly spoken, we better should not have. There is the "Alambique" restaurant nearby. It is walkable within 15 to 20 minutes. However, there are no side walks. In daylight this is not a big problem but for the way back we used Uber (about 3.30 €). We also used Uber for a restaurant visit in Quarteira (about 10.10 € one way).

The only draw-back was that you cannot walk out of the hotel going for a stroll. You do need a car to go to places.

All in all a fantastic stay!
Old Mar 24, 2019, 11:50 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Originally Posted by Zurich
I have completed a 5 night stay on points. Honestly, I thought, this stay was out of this world. The staff's kindness and motivation is hard to believe, but true, consistently.

Pre-arrival upgrade from King Deluxe to a King Deluxe with pool view. On arrival upgraded to a Grand Deluxe Suite (no pool view). High quality in the suite everywhere plus a large balcony. We were overly happy. The GM took her time to great us on arrival and on departure.

As reported before here, excellent house-keeping and reliable turn-down service. Breakfast was extraordinary in terms of items and service. We only used the sauna once but not the outdoor pools which were opened only few days before our arrival.

There is a "cocktail experience" for Diamonds. You just have to register with the front-desk and from what I understand, this is necessary for an individualized experience. The bar keeper created a special cocktail for us while having a conversation with us about cocktails, ingredients, preferences and experiences.

We took advantage of the small supermarket at the other side of the road in the little shopping mall. We ate in one of the "Italian" restaurants one night but honestly spoken, we better should not have. There is the "Alambique" restaurant nearby. It is walkable within 15 to 20 minutes. However, there are no side walks. In daylight this is not a big problem but for the way back we used Uber (about 3.30 €). We also used Uber for a restaurant visit in Quarteira (about 10.10 € one way).

The only draw-back was that you cannot walk out of the hotel going for a stroll. You do need a car to go to places.

All in all a fantastic stay!
Sounds good. Who is the GM here?
Old Apr 25, 2019, 4:01 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
We recently finished a five-night stay here as well. I agree with most of the previous positive reviews and will just add a bit (HH Diamond)
- rooms are not well sound-proofed and there are A LOT of families at this resort
- the spa area is quite nice but fills up especially when people scatter their things about
- quality of breakfast is very good, but options limited; there are a few made-to-order free options on the menu and more paid
- drinks at Lago lobby bar are watered down; not sure if this is intentional or not, but altogether 8 cocktails were consistently bland (we had menu cocktails for the “cocktail experience”)
- food at Lago was not particularly good, but it got us the free bottle of wine as a Diamond
- service here is indeed what stands out; from reception to the poolside staff and housekeeping, everyone was friendly, professional and helpful
hugolover likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 6:03 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Excellent stay

We stayed here for 3 nights at the end of July and absolutely loved this hotel. We used points, so booked a standard room. Received an e-mail from Guest Relations with questions about our arrival etc. Not pre-upgraded before check-in, but at check-in upgraded to a King Grand Deluxe Suite. The building and the grounds are spotless. This hotel definitely deserves all the award it displays next to the entrance. You get a completely different feeling once you step inside and reach the check-in desk - everything revolves around you. The room was huge. The balcony was about the size of what I'd call a standard room in Europe. Not even sure we needed that much space. The bathroom was very nice (also huge). The room had many closets, and I am not sure we used them all. Breakfast was free due to the DIA status, and it was great. We were really lazy and never left the property during these three days, opting to lounge by the pool (they make excellent drinks there!), and ate both lunches and dinners on property. Pricey but convenient if all you want to do is hang out by the pool. We got a bottle of wine as a welcome amenity, and also got a bottle for free at Louro restaurant (very recommended for both dinner and lunch). They also treated to to a few glasses of the local sparkling wine on a few occasions. The service was top notch everywhere (and I am not the one who is actually seeking such things out). It's unlike any other property that I have been to. What I would have imagined as a high end resort. Very much recommended.

Bedroom

Living room

Infinity pool

View from the room

View from the room

Balcony

Pool
BotB, treppenlaeufer and tynmar like this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 6:46 am

Stayed a week here in early August.
Booked two rooms on points. No upgrade given, but then it was very high occupancy, and I was happy enough getting connecting rooms (that they rip you off for if you want to guarantee in advance). On arrival, in the room we had large plate of fruit and a bottle of prosecco on ice. Couple of.days later another bottle of wine was given, and later still a plate with chocolates and macaroons. Also received the free bottle of wine for eating in Louro. So quite a nice set of amenities. Not sure how much if it was due to being diamond or not.

Breakfast was free for both rooms, given diamond status. The breakfast spread was good, but was to be expected for this price point. But wasnt the widest selection. Prosecco was available in the buffet, if you're a morning drinker!

Rooms are very nice and well equipped, as discussed much in prior posts. Odd point probably would be the shower cubicle which was unfortunately too small.

All resort areas very nice and clean and contemporary. Suprisingly however, some of it is done somewhat on the cheap. For example there is lots of stone cladding around, to give the impression of stone walling, but the stone cladding is so thin, and big gaps that you can quite easily see the grey concrete wall behind, so not a nice effect imo.

Despite being high occupancy, almost nobody uses the indoor pool/jacuzzi/sauna area, which is a very nice space. So we went there for a bit every day after time at main pools. Visited the spa area, which seemed a bit pointless. The indoor pool area has everything the spa area has, with fewer people, and more space!

Wife had spa treatment, and said it was the best treatment she'd ever had, so glowing praise there.

Everyone is very friendly and helpful, but the guest service offering doesn't try to maximise guest value. For example I sat with guest services whilst they phoned their car hire 'partners'. All their prices were coming in at £140 for one day. I asked about the car hire location just over the road (which I found out was half the price), but the response was that they are 'not a Conrad partner'. Conrad shouldn't limit who they deal with if I am the one paying.

Similarly, the beach area is very nice but the 'concession' is nothing more than Conrad having block booked a few sun loungers from the local beach hut. Price is £30, or if you go to a non-conrad lounger next door, it's only £15!

All the residences which line either side of the long driveway in to the Conrad lie eerily empty and dusty. Apparently upon completion, the developer went bankrupt, and all owners lost their money. Has been a legal battle for 6 years. Conrad are attempting to buy the residences, but the court case isnt expected to end any time soon.

Last edited by kryten22uk; Aug 22, 2019 at 7:19 am
Old Oct 15, 2019, 10:51 am

I have a stay over Christmas coming up at this hotel and wanted to make dinner reservations. They replied back asking us to wire them money to confirm the reservation. Is this normal for Christmas time? I've never encountered a hotel asking for a money wire instead of just using the credit card on file.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 1:20 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
Originally Posted by dan9124
I have a stay over Christmas coming up at this hotel and wanted to make dinner reservations. They replied back asking us to wire them money to confirm the reservation. Is this normal for Christmas time? I've never encountered a hotel asking for a money wire instead of just using the credit card on file.
I see this message pop up (that a Hilton hotel may ask for payment via a third party site) and have read of reports mentioning they had to pay like this but it seems (anecdotally at least) to be limited to North American travellers visiting Europe or Asia...can’t comment on whether it is required/legitimate but it has come up more often of late on some hotel threads here and FB. Safe travels.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 1:25 am
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
A group of us have a long weekend stay coming up at this resort, really looking forward to it as last stay was 2 years ago now! Weather isn’t looking great so hoping to enjoy the spa /indoor pool areas and check out a few nearby towns/cities. Booked a table at Gusto’s, curious to see how it’s developed since getting the Michelin star, prices certainly went up for the tasting menus!

as another FTer says ‘I’ll report back’ once we’re here!

safe travels everyone.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 9:17 am

Programs: Hilton Honors diamond
Originally Posted by BotB

as another FTer says ‘I’ll report back’ once we’re here!
😂😂

Look forward to your report, it’s been a couple of years for me as well. Quite keen to stay there again next year.
BotB likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 3:50 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club refugee: BA-Br; HH-D
Originally Posted by BotB
... Booked a table at Gusto’s, curious to see how it’s developed since getting the Michelin star...
We were underwhelmed by Gusto - plenty of style and excellent service, but the food was less enjoyable than we'd had elsewhere. Admittedly that was also before the star... By contrast, we had fantastic tasting menu at Henrique Leis (a short drive away) and also a great dinner at Aquarelle. Worth trying one of these if you have a few evenings free. Have a great trip!
BotB likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.