Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hertz President's Circle Member Experiences (2017-Onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hertz President's Circle Member Experiences (2017-Onward)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2018, 9:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, TK E+, AS MVPG, SPG&Marriott Plat, HHD, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
$22 a day? Wow. How much are you saving? Are you crediting to Hertz for points or to an airline for miles?
I've been renting from Hertz instead of owning for over a year now. With depreciation and everything else thrown in, as long as originally you were going for a 30-40k car you'll be ahead. Plus the United miles.
cloudskipper likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by mdbe
I've been renting from Hertz instead of owning for over a year now. With depreciation and everything else thrown in, as long as originally you were going for a 30-40k car you'll be ahead. Plus the United miles.
We've been debating how long to keep renting vs. buying (we are in the process of moving and have been renting for multiple months at a time while still spending time between two homes). How do you manage your rentals, i.e. multi-month program or individual contracts, and for what period? How often do you change cars, if you do? What kind of rate do you get?

When I look at some of the sites that (KBB, Edmunds) that show the cost of owning over 5 years, it's not that far off from renting in the higher categories. Although if one would keep a car for much longer than 5 years, owning is cheaper.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 12:40 am

It depends on your personal preference. I personally would’ve never owned a car beyond the warranty and the max i’ve kept a car is 2.5y 40k miles so it works out great for me. Plus the piece of mind is priceless. Scratched? Hit? Broken? Cool, its not my car, its not my problem. I usully do 2 weeks because i enjoy trying all different cars and keep a list.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 12:49 am

Thanks. We have thought similarly to you that it would be so easy to continue renting. Also when we travel, just turn it in at the airport and get a new one when we get back. We don't have a garage or dedicated parking so it would alleviate the problem of a car we own sitting out all the time. We already have a non-owner insurance policy to cover long-term rentals as well.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by SusanDK
Thanks. We have thought similarly to you that it would be so easy to continue renting. Also when we travel, just turn it in at the airport and get a new one when we get back. We don't have a garage or dedicated parking so it would alleviate the problem of a car we own sitting out all the time. We already have a non-owner insurance policy to cover long-term rentals as well.
i honeslty get ldw too adds another layer of peace of mind protection. And if you travel a lot free parking is definitely an added bonus.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 2:26 am

How do you account for the fact that a car you buy is still worth thousands of dollars even after 5 years?
Old Jun 10, 2018, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by m907
How do you account for the fact that a car you buy is still worth thousands of dollars even after 5 years?
last car I owned, i lost 30k in 2 years due to depreciation plus 10k in insurance over 2 years and however much gas was.

https://www.kbb.com/new-cars/total-cost-of-ownership/
Old Jun 10, 2018, 4:25 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Used my PC benefit which I got via Chase United Club Card during my last trip. The car we picked out, turned out to be brand spanking new and we were the first renters. Only had 6 miles on the odometer when we took it out and returned it with a little over 3000 miles.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 11:55 pm

last car I owned, i lost 30k in 2 years due to depreciation plus 10k in insurance over 2 years and however much gas was.

https://www.kbb.com/new-cars/total-cost-of-ownership/
I'm assuming you owned a luxury car? They tend to depreciate massively and have higher insurance cost. I'm not trying to debate you or anything, just weighing the pros and cons.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 7:09 am

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
I have always wanted to do this ... rent cars instead of own.

Generally, I lose average of $6000-$7500 a year in depreciation value from my cars. However, the cost to rent would be much much higher than that for the year. Even if I only do weekdays rental, I still come out ahead by owning.

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong places?
Old Jun 11, 2018, 7:56 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I'm beginning to think I should be crediting my Hertz bookings to United.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by aSiAnRiCk

Generally, I lose average of $6000-$7500 a year in depreciation value from my cars. However, the cost to rent would be much much higher than that for the year. Even if I only do weekdays rental, I still come out ahead by owning.

my cost to rent is cheaper then my spouse’s lease and insurance. So depends on your circumstances. The cheapest lease plus insurance would probably be half my cost not considering maintenance.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by m907
The Kia Soul is a surprisingly good little car, as long as you don't need the cargo space.
Completely agree. Kia Soul is way much better than I thought as well.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by aSiAnRiCk

Ive been doing it for 2 years now.

Great to be able to switch types when you need to (truck for work/hauling, minivan for 6 to disney, expedition to outrun a hurricane with family, luxury etc), no insurance cost (spouse car full coverage), and abandon payments whenever you leave town or not want a car, etc. In Miami I average $400/mo in rentals. Thats like a $300 cheap used car payment plus $100 insurance. But Ive been driving an XTS for a 5 wks now, had a new Tahoe for $326/mo before that, $50-$60k trucks for months, etc.

I hate swapping so I try to get great monthly rates, but sometimes im stuck swapping at a hertz HLE weekly.

The disounts are worth more than the points so I do that usually. I also switch companies as necessary but Hertz has been killing it recently.

I think it depends on location - Miami and Vegas have a plethora of tourists and rental cars.
m907 likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 2:40 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Picked up at ROC on July 4th for a one-way to SYR. Golds have to check in at the counter in the baggage claim area but there is a priority line. They had my contract and keys ready to go, a quick flash of my driver license and I was on my way to the garage which is just across from the terminal. I was given a Toyota Camry with 3,000 miles on my FCAR reservation. Not too bad for a one-way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.