Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at SFO; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Renting at SFO; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite
2/17 (Saturday) morning around 7. PC lot:

- 1x brand new Highlander
- Multiple 2018 Camry LE
- 1x Q50
- 1x Q60
- 3x Rogue
- 3x Malibu
- 1x Civic
- 2x XF (which I took)

Premium upgrade zone was empty. Macan upgrade was $150/day.

Last edited by uclasfo; Feb 22, 2018 at 4:41 pm Reason: .
Old Feb 21, 2018, 6:40 am

Programs: Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum, Eurobonus Diamond
2/20 1:30pm. PC lot:

- Multiple 2018 Camry
- 1x Impala
- 1x Titan xD
- 3x Brand New Tahoe LT (I took)
- 2x Old body style Expedition
- 2x Pathfinder
- 2x Sorrento
Old Feb 27, 2018, 4:50 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum, Eurobonus Diamond
Quick update from this morning 27feb at 6am. Notable standouts were:
1x Mercedes SLC
1x Infiniti Q50
1x Nissan Armada
Old Mar 13, 2018, 8:01 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles - Platinum; Hertz - President's Circle; Expedia - Gold
Originally Posted by phat-dave
"on rather thick tyres" - what on earth does this mean? wide tyres? high profile?
Yes, high profile tires = terrible handling and cornering
The rest of my post mentions a better choice
Old Mar 24, 2018, 10:46 pm

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
PC's choice: 3/24 around 2pm had two SUVs (one Ford Edge which I took and one Nissan),,but other than that there was a galore of Full-Size and maybe a handful of Premium vehicles. Since I was hoping for a SUV on my mid-size rental I got what I was looking for, but compared to Chicago's O'hare location the selection just sucks at SFO...at least for the limited samples I have.

That said: Will have a reservation at LAS next week for a SUV - can I also just check the President's Circle offerings before resorting to what has been assigned to me?

Greetings - Dirk
Old Mar 25, 2018, 4:09 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by djohannw
Will have a reservation at LAS next week for a SUV - can I also just check the President's Circle offerings before resorting to what has been assigned to me?
Q. What if I book a Luxury/Prestige/Adrenaline car or a SUV/Minivan?
A. You will be assigned a car from that class in a marked space. You can either accept it or chose a car from Ultimate Choice.
Questions/Discussion About Hertz Ultimate Choice Service
Old Apr 1, 2018, 11:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
OK choices today (Easter Sunday) at around 5pm.

2 Jags (didn't check the exact models)
3 Infiniti Q50's
6+ Chrysler 300's
2 Subaru Legacys
1 Dodge Charger
5+ Buicks of some form or other
Plenty of full size vehicles, to the point that I don't think there was a single free spot.

I decided to go with the Q50's. Two of them were >30k miles, and both some noticeable scratches/etc on them, so I grabbed the third one (~27K miles). As I was throwing my stuff in the trunk I noticed it had a California plate on it, which was odd because it didn't have a front plate (One of the others also didn't have a front plate, but it was from Arizona where they don't do them). Checked and it had clearly had one previously that had been removed - no idea if it was stolen or something else.

Pointed it out at the gate and they gave me a damage report form for it. I suspect they probably shouldn't have rented it at all, but hey, at least I've got proof it wasn't me...
Old Apr 7, 2018, 6:21 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hertz PC
Don't rent at this location. SFO hertz has become worse and worse over time. Rented a couple times this spring, (Thursdays, Fridays ~10pm)

In PC, there are tons of Toyotas, Nissans, Chryslers, etc. No SUV at all. All the Q50s are placed in the Premium Upgrade section (need to pay $25 per day to upgrade), and they are pretty much the only choices if you want to do premium upgrade. (I saw a couple cars come back after washed, including a QX30, but the staffs were just told not put them in PC.

Only two cars kinda special:
1 Charger
1 Camaro

The Camaro got taken right away.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by hpec
Don't rent at this location. SFO hertz has become worse and worse over time. Rented a couple times this spring, (Thursdays, Fridays ~10pm)

In PC, there are tons of Toyotas, Nissans, Chryslers, etc. No SUV at all. All the Q50s are placed in the Premium Upgrade section (need to pay $25 per day to upgrade), and they are pretty much the only choices if you want to do premium upgrade.
As someone that rents from this location frequently, your experienced don't match mine or clearly many others in this thread. As with all UC locations it depends on the exact time you're there, and the simple fact is that getting something like an SUV or a premium vehicle isn't guaranteed.

Personally, I don't remember the last time I didn't leave with at least a premium car. I would rate SFO as my #1 UC location so far in terms of availability of good vehicles, and certainly not somewhere to be avoided.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by docbert
As someone that rents from this location frequently, your experienced don't match mine or clearly many others in this thread. As with all UC locations it depends on the exact time you're there, and the simple fact is that getting something like an SUV or a premium vehicle isn't guaranteed.

Personally, I don't remember the last time I didn't leave with at least a premium car. I would rate SFO as my #1 UC location so far in terms of availability of good vehicles, and certainly not somewhere to be avoided.
I myself had a pretty lousy experience just last week! Reserved a "Prestige K group" car that was a Volvo S90 full size sedan. They had in my assigned spot a small hatchback type car. No manager on duty, best the guy at the Gold Star counter could do was put me in a Jaguar XE part of the "P4" group which was about $80 less to rent. Several calls to Hertz during the week with the instructions "keep your phone line clear as a SFO manager will call ASAP" never happened. Upon return Friday, "The manager just stepped out" was the standard response from all. E-reciept reflected full price, K Group reservation/ car out P4 group...
One call to the Hertz 800 # told me they don't rent Jaguar XE's and I must have the wrong model, they declined my offer to send them a picture of the car... Car itself only had 19,000 miles on it and had been through hell and back, brakes screeched loudly every time we stopped, inside and out the car was heavily worn... Not impressed with Hertz SFO to say the least.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 4:26 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Hi all,

Here's my experience last Friday ~2pm. At the PC lot, cars available were
- Avalon's
- 300's
- Sonata's
- Camry's
- Impala's
- 1 SUV - I believe it was the Equinox
- Infinity Q50 (1)
-Infinity Q70 (1) - which I grabbed just to test out.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by nldogbert
-Infinity Q70 (1) - which I grabbed just to test out.
What did you think of it? I've seen them a few times but never actually grabbed one.

Also, it's Infiniti (with an i on the end), not Infinity.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 1:51 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by docbert
What did you think of it? I've seen them a few times but never actually grabbed one.

Also, it's Infiniti (with an i on the end), not Infinity.
Haha.. silly me...still in my jet-lag mode when typing it yesterday.

As for the car itself, a quick summary:
Ride: Comfortable and you do feel that the car is slightly higher compared to the Q50 as you get a better view, though you do also see the bigger bonnet in front of you. Sort of like the Subaru Outback which is slightly higher than the normal car.

Performance: Mine had a 3.7 liter engine, and if you are gentle with the accelerator, it will feel a bit lagging. Flooring it does give it the push that you need. I was however not very impressed with the Fuel efficiency, even by being gentle and using the Eco mode. If you are used to the Q50 (3.0 liter or even the 2.0 liter), this will be slightly disappointing from the nippiness of the car.

Interior: It is clearly more of a family/luxurious car compared to the Q50. Mine came with in-build navigation and there was the analog clock in the center piece which you normally find in the higher end mid-range/higher end cars. What I did not like was that the controls on the steering wheel column was much smaller and in my opinion less better positioned than on the steering wheel column of the Q50. I do prefer the Q50 steering wheel functionality and comfort - and the design actually. The dashbord information seems smaller compared to the Q50 which is strange, though they had some nice funky design - does add to higher end finish of the car.

Gadgets: There were quite a few additional gadgets which were not available at least on all the different Q50's (and Q60's) that I've driven, mainly a nice bird's eye view when backing out - I am curious how this was achieved as I could not spot any camera close to the passenger doors, sensors all around which did help when parking in tight spots and activated all the time, side mirror folding in function and seat heating/cooling (the cooling one is nice especially for distance driving to cool your back).

All in all, if you are more into mid end luxury and not too worried about fuel consumption/power, this is a nice car to drive. If fun and power is what you are after, than the Q50 is much better and of course the Q60 the best. If this car was in the lot next to an Impala or 300S, I'll still go for this car.

Cheers!
Old Apr 11, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Hey everyone, I'll be landing at SFO on Saturday and have two "Prestige" group reservations as an attempt to ensure I get what I want:

- Evoque/GLC (HPC Group H4 JFDR)

- Discovery/Infiniti QX60 (Group Z4 RGDR)

I've applied every discount code I could, and ended up with a quote of $199 and $194 for Sat-Mon which I'm pretty happy with.

The wife surprisingly gave me the green light to "splurge" a little and get something "nice" for this trip. She loves the Evoque so that's what I'm gunning for. How likely is it that I'll actually get one? I'd definitely be cool with a Disco or the GLC, but not really much else.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, TK E+, AS MVPG, SPG&Marriott Plat, HHD, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hpec

In PC, there are tons of Toyotas, Nissans, Chryslers, etc. No SUV at all. All the Q50s are placed in the Premium Upgrade section (need to pay $25 per day to upgrade), and they are pretty much the only choices if you want to do premium upgrade. (I saw a couple cars come back after washed, including a QX30, but the staffs were just told not put them in PC.

Only two cars kinda special:
1 Charger
1 Camaro

The Camaro got taken right away.
i hd the same experience however i asked nicely and was given a Q50 free of charge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.