Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at SFO; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2017, 1:09 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Scifience
Got a new (~1300 mi) Jaguar XE at SFO from Ultimate Choice this week. A few XTS and S60s were on offer as well, plus a mix of the usual Camrys/Altimas.
Similar mix of premium vehicles today. A few Jag's (XE and XF). Multiple Infiniti Q50's and one Q60 (which I took) - all the 3.0t models. A number of Camaros (most of them convertibles, and most of them yellow!). Other than a few Hyuandai's I struggled to see anything non-premium in there at all!

It's not overly obvious, but there's 2 aisles of PC cars at SFO - I could see a lot of people missing the second aisle and thinking the first one you come to was it where they actually go all the way up to the edge of the structure.
Old May 17, 2017, 10:45 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold (Thanks Amex)
I have a reservation at SFO in a couple days... Any word on how their selection is there? Unfortunately, right now I'm just a Gold member

I'm hoping to get a hybrid, and if not that, at least something fun!
Old May 18, 2017, 9:36 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by spencertimm
I have a reservation at SFO in a couple days... Any word on how their selection is there? Unfortunately, right now I'm just a Gold member

As basic gold it will likely be standard C/D cars. Corollas and a lot of different Nissan sedans.
Old May 25, 2017, 4:00 pm

SFO
President's Circle
Booked: F
Received: Jaguar XF with all of 16 miles on it. That was a fun weekend.
Old May 28, 2017, 9:04 am

Programs: United, Hertz, SPG
Originally Posted by spencertimm

I picked up at SFO on a Wednesday morning (11am) and the PC section was excellent - a corvette, 7-8 Camaros, 1 Camaro SS, couple Ford Fusions, QX80, two Q50s and a Jag. I had a large bag so I went with the Jag but a corvette for the standard rate is excellent. Oddly enough nobody believed it so it sat there as many people took the Camaros but it was out there in the PC section and I did confirm with the customer service folks.
Old May 28, 2017, 3:06 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by nktech
I picked up at SFO on a Wednesday morning (11am) and the PC section was excellent - a corvette, 7-8 Camaros, 1 Camaro SS, couple Ford Fusions, QX80, two Q50s and a Jag. I had a large bag so I went with the Jag but a corvette for the standard rate is excellent. Oddly enough nobody believed it so it sat there as many people took the Camaros but it was out there in the PC section and I did confirm with the customer service folks.
Wow. A Corvette? Interesting.
Old May 29, 2017, 12:35 am

SFO today was nice. PC area had a Infiniti QX60 and a Q60 3.0t. Two Jaguars and a few chevy coupes (camaro maybe?)

One question, for upgrades, I understand the "Premium Upgrade" region is $25/day for PC members. However, there is another region labeled as "Ultimate Series" (and had a few Porsche Macans in it!), how much is the upgrade for these cars?
Old May 29, 2017, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by ccsasuke
However, there is another region labeled as "Ultimate Series" (and had a few Porsche Macans in it!), how much is the upgrade for these cars?
Welcome to FT!

You will find that the rates on these upgrades vary wildly (even for the same car, depending on the location & demand & how much you are willing to negotiate with the manager). I would expect to be quoted something like an extra $100/day for a Porsche Macan. I've been quoted $150/day (extra) for most $50-70k cars, $250/day extra for things like the Mercedes SL550 back when they used to have those at DFW (would end up negotiating to $125-150/day), and $500/day extra for things like Mercedes G Wagon, or SLS, etc.

Some stations are very willing to negotiate, others are not. I negotiated a BMW 6 series convertible down from $250/day to $100/day on top of a cheapo rate, for example. But sometimes I've been told rates are firm, and I've usually found the asking rates much higher than what I'm willing to pay (and indeed, higher than you might pay for simply booking the vehicle outright on the website rather than base rate + upgrade).

Some stations will let you keep the unlimited mileage from your regular reservation, but most won't.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 10:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
SFO PC area was looking fairly bare yesterday afternoon with what looked like only a few full size vehicles (Ford Fusion, Altima, etc), however up the far end there were a few Jaguars and what is quickly becoming my new favorite car, an Infiniti Q60.

The only other person in the area at the time seemed a little confused by the whole process - I don't think he could believe that the Jag he was walking around was actually his to take, and he kept looking up at the signs to confirm he was in the right area!

I thought my HLE would be a little annoyed at me bringing them the Q60 (they've said in the past they generally don't get to keep the nice cars), but they were more than happy to have it!
Old Jun 11, 2017, 2:19 am

Picked up at SFO last night around midnight (PC). At first the PC aisles were limited in choice; basically a pick your color Maxima (although in nicer SL trims), or pick your color Chrysler 300s. As I was about to take a low mileage (119 miles) Maxima, the employees must have been close to getting off work cause a bunch of them came to restock the PC aisles before they left. Notables that came in during the restock: 2x Mercedes SLC roadster, 2x Infiniti QX70 SUVs, 2x Infiniti Q50s, 1 Infiniti Q60, 1 Infiniti QX60, and a Mercedes GLE350 AWD SUV that was 4 days old (according to the registration), which I happily took!
Old Jun 18, 2017, 3:06 pm
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Picked up today (Sunday) around noon. Great selection!

PC
5-6X Chrysler 300S and 300C
2X Nissan Maxima SL, 1 in SV trim
2X Nissan Armada
1X GMC Yukon
2X Camaro Convertible (1 SS, 1 V6 w/RS package)
1X Mercedes CLA250
1X Kia Optima Hybrid (brand new)
1X Infiniti Q50
1X Infiniti Q60
1X Impala Premier

Gold
Endless rows of sedans; Mostly Chevrolet Malibus, Kia Optimas, Ford Fusions (some Hybrid) and other standard sedan fare. Only standouts were a Subaru Legacy and three or four pickups.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 11:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Plat, AC E35K
Reserved C63 AMG (H) at SFO for next month. Just to be sure, these are the current gen C-class models? Website thumbnail still shows the older model.

Alternate choice is a Cayenne. Does anyone know how well or poorly optioned those are? Guessing they are base V6 models?
Old Jun 20, 2017, 4:24 pm

I believe the C63 is 2017, might have seen a few 2016. Make sure to request the 2017. They have at least 5 of them, they are usually parked closer to the exit, hidden away on the right side.
How much is that running you for a month? Got a good CDP/PC? )

Have fun with the car, it's a beast.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 6:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Plat, AC E35K
Originally Posted by FTDDD
I believe the C63 is 2017, might have seen a few 2016. Make sure to request the 2017. They have at least 5 of them, they are usually parked closer to the exit, hidden away on the right side.
How much is that running you for a month? Got a good CDP/PC? )

Have fun with the car, it's a beast.
Thank you! Will call ahead and see if they can note a request for the 17 in the reservation.

Oh no, I was a bit ambiguous. I wish I were there for a month... the rental is for just short of two weeks

After my CDP it averages out to approx 100/day after taxes. Quite reasonable, IMO - especially if I can score a 2017.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 9:07 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
I reserved the Standard Elite and ended up with a MB GLC300 small SUV. Picked up about 11:30pm Tuesday, which is never a good time to try to learn how all the switches and control are supposed to work much less read the small label on what that switch is. It was way at the end in space 404, but looked like the best choice, though I should have drove it over and checked the other vehicles more carefully-still jetlagged after a week on the east coast coming from BKK.

The Standard Elite was actually $100 per week less than the regular Full Size

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.