Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hertz Fuel Scam

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2024, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
I doubt that that this is due to a policy change. You agreed to return full, you held up your part of the agreement, and they still charged you. Welcome to the Hertz Fuel Scam.

Hertz Fuel Scam
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2024, 10:38 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by pbr6891
For my last 2 rentals with Hertz I have been charged for fuel service (at the extortion rate of 10$ / gal) while I brought the car back with a full tank of gas .. (I have the receipt from filling up )
The first time there was no one checking in vehicles just a parking attendant blasting the standard phrase 'just leave the keys in the car , you are good to go ... ,
The second time there was someone checking in the vehicle but I was similarly told the same thing 'leave the keys in the car you are good to go ..."

I always declined the fuel service options and explicitly state to the gate attendant that "I will bring back the car with a full tank ..."

Prior to this past 1-2 month i have not had these fuel service charges added (that i recall) willy nilly even when there was no one checking the vehicle in ...

If this is retaliation for customers not pre-paying the fuel option (full tank with no refund) then this deserves a spot light to be shined on as fraudulent ... or is just customer service going downhill ?

What is everybody's experience .... ?

I merged this with the Hertz Fuel Scam thread

Thanks
Jason8612 Hertz Mod
Auto Enthusiast and strickerj like this.
Old May 5, 2024, 11:32 am

I had the opposite happen this weekend. Took a car full and returned it full. Attendant checks it in with the tablet and says that it showed it being rented only 52% full. I agree with Rylan's post above that the problem has gotten worse with the connected cars, and not just at Hertz.

Usually if there is no one checking cars in, I take a pic of gas and mileage then go inside and ask for a paper receipt to avoid any problems.
Old May 7, 2024, 9:08 am

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite, Hertz President's Circle
I am not sure why everyone complains all the time about this. It is very simple to place your receipt next to the display on the vehicle showing both the mileage and fuel level. I do this with a noticeable Hertz background to show it was taken at the facility during return.

I've never had to initiate showing Hertz this, as I've never been charged fuel, but nice insurance to have and takes 10-seconds of your time. And this simple picture shows fuel, where fueled, time fueled, mileage, and time returned.

Along those lines, I honestly don't even know why I fill the vehicles up, as my corporate rate has discounted gas based on fuel used, which is typically cheaper than the local gas station.

This brought up a thought. Could Hertz have changed their check-in procedure regarding topping off of vehicles during cleanup?. For those individuals that fill up 50-miles from the station, but car still shows full when returning. If when topping off vehicle during cleanup they put in more than 1-gallon, the charge gets placed? Just a thought.
Old Yesterday, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
New variant of the Hertz Fuel Scam™?

​​​​​​Rent an EV, get hit with a $277 fuel charge?

https://www.thedrive.com/news/hertz-...wont-back-down

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.