Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

The Official "Help me find a good rate with Hertz" CHALLENGE thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2013, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: AutoSlash
Please follow this format when posting your request:
Pickup Location (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode):
Dropoff Location (if different) (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode):
Pickup Date and Time:
Return Date and Time:
Vehicle Size Preference:
Home Country (if not USA):
Memberships (AAA/USAA/airline FFP/Amex Plat/Cent etc):
Best Price you've found, Hertz or otherwise:
More information can be found on the first page of this thread.

Additionally, you can save time by having AutoSlash generate a quote for you up-front by clicking here, or if you've already got a rental booked, just click here to enter your info and AutoSlash will check to see if a lower rate is available.

If you're looking for a specialty vehicle from Hertz (something from the Prestige/Adrenaline/Green Collections), it is helpful if you can specify the four-letter car size code (i.e. ICAR, MVAR, etc.) shown on the Hertz website for the specific vehicle you're looking for.

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS

New members who post any type of link will have their posts flagged for moderation by our spam filters. Unfortunately...
...this includes any links in quoted replies!
You can avoid our spam filters simply by not posting any links or quoting any links in your replies. This restriction applies to just your first two posts, so once you've posted a few times you can link away.

We are happy that this thread generates many new FlyerTalk members, and we hope you will stick around. By learning & sharing our knowledge freely, we all become better travelers. Hopefully some day you will be posting a reply, showing a new guy how to get a good rate.

Welcome to FlyerTalk! We are glad you are here.
Print Wikipost

The Official "Help me find a good rate with Hertz" CHALLENGE thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2013, 6:27 pm

pickup/dropoff: FLL
10/3 : 9:30pm
10/6 : 8:30am

any size/class., no memberships.
Best I found earlier today was $42 with VSTPTE and 182092, didn't book at the time because I couldn't find my United Mileage Plus card - now they're no longer working and the best I can get is $91 with XCT1 only.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 10:04 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jordancl
pickup/dropoff: FLL
10/3 : 9:30pm
10/6 : 8:30am

any size/class., no memberships.
Best I found earlier today was $42 with VSTPTE and 182092, didn't book at the time because I couldn't find my United Mileage Plus card - now they're no longer working and the best I can get is $91 with XCT1 only.
Looks like Budget may be your best deal at $53.33 for a compact car.

Last edited by AutoSlash; Jun 6, 2014 at 11:21 pm
Old Oct 2, 2013, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by murdawg
Pickup Location (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode): 6820 Center Road HLE (local edition in 44060)
Dropoff Location (if different) (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode): 6820 Center Road HLE (local edition in 44060)

Pickup Date and Time: October 11, 2013 at 10:00am
Return Date and Time: November 8, 2013 at 10:00am
Vehicle Size Preference: no preference...looking for least expensive
Memberships (AAA/USAA/airline FFP/etc): Got them all, AAA, USAA, all FF, plat amex
Best Price you've found, Hertz or otherwise: Hertz.com about $625.50 USD Per Month (679.87 Approx. Tot.) using AAA
Hi Murdawg,

I'm getting $559.35 (Total Approx Charge) for a Compact- Ford Focus.

Using CDP # 1805452 (AAA WEB ID) or CDP # 164 (AAA Northwest Ohio, it that's you) (Monthly rate is $549)
*WITH PC # 176256 ($50 off Monthly for AAA when used with AAA CDP)
Old Oct 3, 2013, 12:10 am

Programs: Marriott LT Platinum; United 1MM, 1K
Here's a slightly different challenge: Boy Scout travel for next year.

Pickup Location (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode): PITsburgh
Dropoff Location (if different) (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode): same
Pickup Date and Time: July 12, 2014 at noon
Return Date and Time: July 19, 2014 at 4:30pm
Vehicle Size Preference: 2 x 12 or 15 passenger van. (24 people)
Memberships (AAA/USAA/airline FFP/etc): AAA, UNITED, MARRIOTT, SPG
Best Price you've found, Hertz or otherwise: $719 each.

We're trying to lock-down costs so families can decide and budget for the trip. I know we may be able to reduce price with coupons when we get closer to the date, but I want to book it in October.

Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 3, 2013, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by hook13
Pickup Location (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode): LAS (mccaran vegas)
Pickup Date and Time: 10/5/13 - Plane lands at 11:10
Return Date and Time: 10/14 - 3:30
Vehicle Size Preference: not picky, something that qualifies for gold choice and not compact economy (small suv or convertible would be great)
Memberships (AAA/USAA/airline FFP/etc): Hertz gold (amex platinum), AAA, Costco
Best Price you've found, Hertz or otherwise: 310 for budget rent a car/intermediate @ Costco, 343.74 for intermediate SUV, pay it now, on hertz (is pay it now cancellable? mentions fees)

Thanks so much for any help, way over budget on this vacation! wondering if bidding priceline might be way to go for vegas...
Hi Hook13,

Go back to the Costco Travel webpage. I'm seeing $254.64/intermediate with ALAMO as of today.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by ethang801
Pickup Location (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode): New York City (flexible on airport JFK, LGA, EWR or local)
Pickup Date and Time: 12/20/13 5pm
Return Date and Time: 1/1/14 1pm
Vehicle Size Preference: Full Size or SUV (mini or regular SUV fine)
Memberships (AAA/USAA/airline FFP/etc): AAA
Best Price you've found, Hertz or otherwise: $839
Hi Ethang801,

Would you consider using Dollar Rental Car?
Best rates are for Mid-size SUV:

JFK $673.01
LGA $713.55

Use Promo Code: 989 ("City Specials" Rates)
Old Oct 3, 2013, 1:10 pm

Hoping you fine FTers can help me out... I'm stumped on this one. Need a one/way from my home in Central OH to the ATL airport, as I need to show up at family Christmas and then continue on to a post-holiday vacation.

Pickup Location (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode): Dublin, OH; Hilliard, OH; CMH airport, or anywhere in between
Dropoff Location (if different) (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode): ATL
Pickup Date and Time: 12/23 first thing in AM. Could pick up a day or two earlier if including weekend stay gets me a better overall rate.
Return Date and Time: 12/26 early AM
Vehicle Size Preference: economy/compact but flexible
Memberships (AAA/USAA/airline FFP/etc): AAA, WN RR2.0, Costco
Best Price you've found, Hertz or otherwise: 186.30 USD including base fee & taxes (no insurance,) from Cemetary Rd/Hilliard HLE using AAA (or 186.21 from Sawmill/Dublin, same.)

Thanks!!
Old Oct 5, 2013, 12:12 am

Looking to rent a convertible for our week-long stay in Maui. I was hoping to ensure a nicer model/trim and from my cursory research it would be relatively easy to do that with Hertz given that they have multiple convertible classifications available.

Pickup Location: OGG
Dropoff Location: OGG
Pickup Date and Time: 11/27/13, 5:00PM
Return Date and Time: 12/04/13, 3:00PM
Vehicle Size Preference: Convertible, preferable nicer model (which would mean RTAR as far as I can tell - the prestige line is too costly)
Memberships: AMEX Plat, USAA, Costco, Hertz Gold
Best Price: $594 including all taxes and fees. Using AMEX Plat CDP, couldn't find a PC that would work for my dates.

Thanks!
Old Oct 5, 2013, 4:57 am

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott, IHG, Sirius, Dusit, Thai, Virgin, Hyatt, BAA, AS, AA(both)
Originally Posted by m0nikr
Looking to rent a convertible for our week-long stay in Maui. I was hoping to ensure a nicer model/trim and from my cursory research it would be relatively easy to do that with Hertz given that they have multiple convertible classifications available.

Pickup Location: OGG
Dropoff Location: OGG
Pickup Date and Time: 11/27/13, 5:00PM
Return Date and Time: 12/04/13, 3:00PM
Vehicle Size Preference: Convertible, preferable nicer model (which would mean RTAR as far as I can tell - the prestige line is too costly)
Memberships: AMEX Plat, USAA, Costco, Hertz Gold
Best Price: $594 including all taxes and fees. Using AMEX Plat CDP, couldn't find a PC that would work for my dates.

Thanks!
Cdp 262 and Pc 192021 = $463
Old Oct 5, 2013, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by E14 26C
Cdp 262 and Pc 192021 = $463
Fantastic! Went ahead and placed a reservation using this CDP and PC. Thanks so much.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 12:54 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash
Original Poster

Originally Posted by m0nikr
Fantastic! Went ahead and placed a reservation using this CDP and PC. Thanks so much.
Note that this CDP is for AAA members. Be sure you are a member or use a different CDP (since they sometimes ask for proof of membership.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 5:22 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Pickup Location: Allston, MA or Cambridge, MA (would consider BOS if price difference is significant enough)
Dropoff Location: same
Pickup Date and Time: Oct. 11, 9 AM
Return Date and Time: Oct. 15, 9 AM
Vehicle Size Preference: economy/compact
Memberships (AAA/USAA/airline FFP/etc): Hertz Gold, United, Delta, American
Best Price you've found, Hertz or otherwise: $252.41

I would prefer to pay later because this trip is to visit a sick relative, and plans can change depending on his health. Does anyone know of any coupons that are not blacked out next weekend?

Thanks.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 6:48 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis CC, Continental Onepass
Originally Posted by lmagnott
Pickup Location: Allston, MA or Cambridge, MA (would consider BOS if price difference is significant enough)
Pickup Date and Time: Oct. 11, 9 AM
Return Date and Time: Oct. 15, 9 AM
Vehicle Size Preference: economy/compact
Memberships (AAA/USAA/airline FFP/etc): Hertz Gold, United, Delta, American
Best Price you've found, Hertz or otherwise: $252.41

I would prefer to pay later because this trip is to visit a sick relative, and plans can change depending on his health. Does anyone know of any coupons that are not blacked out next weekend?

Thanks.
I got $153.95 at the Allston HLE using AAA and rate code XCT1. I don't believe a coupon can be added to this rate.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 9:02 pm

Programs: Hertz President's Circle; Formerly :( United 1K, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum
Question Help Me Find a Buffalo

Hi all,

Here goes the ye olde challenge:

Pickup Location: BUF (Buffalo Airport, NY)
Pickup Date and Time: Nov 2, 9:30 AM
Return Date and Time: Nov 3, 4 PM
Vehicle Size Preference: ANY
Memberships (AAA/USAA/airline FFP/etc): Hertz Presidents Circle, United, Hilton, Delta, American, Chase Mileageplus Explorer, Amex Delta regular, a couple alumni associations but those usually aren't great

Best Price you've found, Hertz or otherwise:

Hertz with a CDP I don't want to use at $29.15/day and without using it and instead trying various codes from the thread on discount codes is $49. Can you get me closer to $29? I'd very much like to stick with Hertz, given the status and less hassle.

Thanks good people of FlyerTalk
Old Oct 6, 2013, 9:48 am

Pickup Location: ORD
Pickup Date and Time: Nov 8, 9:30PM
Return Date and Time: Nov 11,6 PM
Vehicle Size Preference: Mini Van
Memberships (AAA/USAA/airline FFP/etc): United, Hilton, Delta, American, Chase Mileageplus Explorer, Amex Delta regular.

Best Price you've found, Hertz or otherwise: $442 on hertz.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.