FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: slippahs
Print Wikipost

Guide to and Questions Concerning Connecting thru HNL & other Hawai`i airports

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2015, 6:12 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by kilbornr
Pre-check took 30 seconds. We were back at the gate for the next flight with 45 minutes to spare and I'm glad we took the detour. Even with a slightly worse security line and no pre-check, I think we would have been fine.

You can probably sneak a peak at the security line before you leave the secure area if time is tight.
Kudos for sharing your real world experience. I do think that your advice to check the security line is wise, for without precheck, it can take a very, very long time. Regardless of how short the line appears to be, unless you have precheck, I would urge caution. The non-precheck line can be be a bear.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 3:52 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
In our many years of travel to HI, we have never had to make a direct same day connection from main terminal to interisland to catch a flight. And we have never flown HA mainland to HI. So, we're doing both soon - LAX-HNL-LIH and reverse on HA. (First trip to Kauai also in all these years)

It looks like a nice hike from EWA gates to Interisland. We have adequate layover time, but are going to be with a friend that has a bum knee right now. He's young, mobile, fit, and walking - just moving slower. Want to confirm that there is a moving walk way connecting EWA gates to Interisland? Thanks!
Old Mar 12, 2015, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by davesam12
In our many years of travel to HI, we have never had to make a direct same day connection from main terminal to interisland to catch a flight. And we have never flown HA mainland to HI. So, we're doing both soon - LAX-HNL-LIH and reverse on HA. (First trip to Kauai also in all these years)

It looks like a nice hike from EWA gates to Interisland. We have adequate layover time, but are going to be with a friend that has a bum knee right now. He's young, mobile, fit, and walking - just moving slower. Want to confirm that there is a moving walk way connecting EWA gates to Interisland? Thanks!
There is a short moving walkway that sometimes is operational, but this is only for a very short part of the journey.

As an alternative, you can connect using the Wiki-Wiki bus.

http://hawaii.gov/hnl/intra-airport-transportation
Old Mar 20, 2015, 12:59 pm

Looking for advice on which flight to book for LIH > HNL to make JQ2 to MEL @ 9:00am.

HA104 arrives at 6:57am, HA110 arrives at 7:30am.

Carry on bags only, no TSA precheck.

From what I gather, walking from the interisland terminal to main terminal will be approx 10 mins, and check in for JQ2 closes 60 mins prior to departure. Should we play it safe with the HA104 or will we have enough time with HA110?
Old Mar 20, 2015, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by michiev
Looking for advice on which flight to book for LIH > HNL to make JQ2 to MEL @ 9:00am.

HA104 arrives at 6:57am, HA110 arrives at 7:30am.

Carry on bags only, no TSA precheck.

From what I gather, walking from the interisland terminal to main terminal will be approx 10 mins, and check in for JQ2 closes 60 mins prior to departure. Should we play it safe with the HA104 or will we have enough time with HA110?
Old Jul 11, 2015, 7:27 pm

is this inter-island connection too tight?about 20 minutes!

I was originally booked on a direct Hawaiian Airlines flight from Kauai to Maui. Today HA emailed me a change. I'm now booked on #346 leaving Kauai @ 11:29 AM, arr. HNL @ 12:02 PM., and then on #176 leaving HNL at 12:23 PM. I also spoke with a HA rep, who told me that this is within their minimum connection time guideline. Should I trust that, or re-book?
Thanks!
Old Jul 11, 2015, 8:27 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta SkyMiles, Fairmont President's Club ,Marriott Rewards,
Connection

It is more than likely that the onward flight is on the same plane.
The 20 minutes will allow for some folks to deplane, and some to board going to your final destination.
I wouldn't touch a thing. If in the unlikely event , you didn't make the connection.....HA will protect you and get you on the next flight without penalty.
Hawaiian Airlines runs a tight ship, and on-time performance is the best in the industry.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by jubujoy
I was originally booked on a direct Hawaiian Airlines flight from Kauai to Maui. Today HA emailed me a change. I'm now booked on #346 leaving Kauai @ 11:29 AM, arr. HNL @ 12:02 PM., and then on #176 leaving HNL at 12:23 PM. I also spoke with a HA rep, who told me that this is within their minimum connection time guideline. Should I trust that, or re-book?
Thanks!
Don't worry about it...ditto re post above...
Old Jul 12, 2015, 1:15 pm

Thanks, friends! I feel much better now!
Old Sep 11, 2015, 1:09 pm

HA check baggage, United Club meeting, back to HA gate

A bit embarrassed by this question but still not sure if I should just walk or navigate the shuttles which I haven't used in years...

Have to check baggage curbside for HA 50, get to United Club gate 10 for meeting then return to HA gate ~ 26 - 30.

Would just hoof it but have 2 pieces of carry-on, any advice?

Mahalo!
Old Sep 11, 2015, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by tdowl5757
A bit embarrassed by this question but still not sure if I should just walk or navigate the shuttles which I haven't used in years...

Have to check baggage curbside for HA 50, get to United Club gate 10 for meeting then return to HA gate ~ 26 - 30.

Would just hoof it but have 2 pieces of carry-on, any advice?

Mahalo!
Walk it, but stay airside. That is, after you check in your HA baggage, enter secure side there, and then walk airside to the UA Club. Your return trip to gates 26-30 will be shorter, but through the same corridor.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 2:20 pm

OK thanks.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 2:39 am

Originally Posted by tdowl5757
OK thanks.
On second thought, I would modify my advice to checkin at the HA terminal if the TSA line is busy/you don't have precheck/you have Gold Status on another airline that gets you expedited TSA line. Otherwise, my previous advice stands.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
So just wanted to get some feedback.

Flying into HNL from EWR set to arrive at 2:03pm on United on Sept 29th.

Connecting to a Hawaiian airlines flight that leaves at 4:37pm to OGG.

*when i booked i was arriving 1:59 and leaving 4:51. Not sure how much that ~15 mins lost will impact us.

These are on different PNRs and we will have checked baggage and are flying in BF on the United flight.

What is the process here? i assume we need to leave security to get our backs and recheck them? How am i on time here? Will ~2.5 hrs be enough time? Is there a way to check through to OGG or must we re-check it? Is there anyway to avoid leaving security? Any additional tips?

Thanks.

Last edited by njxbean; Sep 19, 2015 at 7:27 pm
Old Sep 19, 2015, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by njxbean
What is the process here? i assume we need to leave security to get our backs and recheck them? How am i on time here? Will ~2.5 hrs be enough time? Is there a way to check through to OGG or must we re-check it? Is there anyway to avoid leaving security? Any additional tips? Thanks.
This might help

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawai...1-12-a-22.html

I just did this. UA interlined through HA to OGG without any issue.

HA refused to interline out of OGG even though I was on paid F on HA. They checked bags to HNL, which made me miss nonstop HNL-EWR return. Horrible experience, no aloha spirit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.