Old Mar 12, 2013, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: slippahs
Print Wikipost

Guide to and Questions Concerning Connecting thru HNL & other Hawai`i airports

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2013, 8:33 pm

Programs: Delta
I've transited many times through HNL coming from Japan and going on to mainland US. As a non-US passport holder you won't have the same success as a US citizen, but should be fine. In J, you will get off the plane in front of most others. You will either have a straight walk to immigration or will be herded on to buses (wiki wiki), though the bus ride is only a few minutes. If you catch the first set of wiki wiki, it's better. The key is to get in front of as many other passengers as possible after deplaning and after getting off the wiki wiki. So, stand by the door when riding the wiki wiki. Yes, US citizens have separate lines at immigration. Once through immigration you'll skip baggage claim and exit onto a sidewalk. Turn right and go to your airline check-in counter (the next floor above). It shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to get to the counter area, as HNL is not a large airport.

My record time from deplaning to landing on the sidewalk outside of customs at HNL is less than 10 minutes, but I have a US passport, which helps immensely.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 3:31 am

Programs: AF LTP, LH Sen, M Amb
Hey guys!

I', arriving to HNL from ICN at 10:25. I'm flying with Korean Air in business class and going to have one piece of checked baggage. Plus, I'm not US citizen.

I need to catch a go! flight to KOA then. There are 2 options: 12:52 and 13:45. What flight do you suggest to take? I would prefer shorter connection and a flight at 12:52, but it seems to be too risky.

Thanks a lot!
Old Sep 19, 2013, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by urww
Hey guys!

I', arriving to HNL from ICN at 10:25. I'm flying with Korean Air in business class and going to have one piece of checked baggage. Plus, I'm not US citizen.

I need to catch a go! flight to KOA then. There are 2 options: 12:52 and 13:45. What flight do you suggest to take? I would prefer shorter connection and a flight at 12:52, but it seems to be too risky.

Thanks a lot!
Go airlines has one of the worst on-time ratings imaginable. Better safe than sorry - go with the latter flight.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Wirelessly posted (iPhone-ETOPS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11A465 Safari/9537.53)

Originally Posted by deubster
Originally Posted by urww
Hey guys!

Thanks a lot!
Go airlines has one of the worst on-time ratings imaginable. Better safe than sorry - go with the latter flight.
If go! Is the one with the worst on time ratings, why would the OP need to take a later flight?

Probably the only good thing about go! is free same day standby. So if you do take the later flight, you can standby for the earlier one at no charge unless this policy has changed recently.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 1:39 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta SkyMiles, Fairmont President's Club ,Marriott Rewards,
Hawaiian Airlines

So urww,
If I'm understanding correctly, you do not as yet have the Inter-Island flight booked??
Hawaiian Airlines is No#1 for Safety, Comfort and on-time performance.
Forget "Go"
Fly Hawaiian....I would leave myself 2.5-3 hrs between flights, given the fact you will need to clear Customs and Immigration, transfer terminals, re-check-in and proceed through Security.
If you choose the "Coach plus" fare, you will have to ability to fly standby -by on an earlier flight if you get in any earlier and make your way through all the hoops any quicker.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Wirelessly posted (iPhone-ETOPS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11A465 Safari/9537.53)

Originally Posted by Executrip
So urww,
If I'm understanding correctly, you do not as yet have the Inter-Island flight booked??
Hawaiian Airlines is No#1 for Safety, Comfort and on-time performance.
Forget "Go"
Fly Hawaiian....I would leave myself 2.5-3 hrs between flights, given the fact you will need to clear Customs and Immigration, transfer terminals, re-check-in and proceed through Security.
If you choose the "Coach plus" fare, you will have to ability to fly standby -by on an earlier flight if you get in any earlier and make your way through all the hoops any quicker.
Seconded.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 9:49 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
For UA mainland to ha inter island this guide days 30-75 min. MCT says 1:15. Does that mean I really need 1:15? In taking ua from ewr so I'm not sure how often it's late
Old Oct 2, 2013, 11:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by eng3
For UA mainland to ha inter island this guide days 30-75 min. MCT says 1:15. Does that mean I really need 1:15? In taking ua from ewr so I'm not sure how often it's late
It depends. If you have a separate ticket on HA and are not checked in, you might need that much time. HA isn't very helpful when there are long lines to get boarding passes and the self serve kiosks in the boarding area seem to have disappeared. If your flight from EWR is on time, you have no checked luggage, your trip is all on one itinerary and you have a boarding pass, you'll be fine with 1:15.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 6:42 pm

Programs: DL DM UA AA Hilton Starwood
How much time to connect from DL to HA in HNL

Will be changing from DL to HA in HNL in Jan.
How much time is needed to do this?
Probably will need to get boarding passes for HA upon arrival.
Can this be done at or near the gates, or will I have to go out of security to get them and then back through security again?
Will have only carry on bags, so no need to recheck bags.

Do not have HA tickets yet because I need to know which flights to pick based upon how much time I will need to connect.

Thanks
Old Oct 16, 2013, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles

If arriving from US and flying interisland on HA, will need to go to that terminal, but no need to leave secure area. You should be able to print out boarding passes before DL flight, but I've had BP printed at gate when my phone app wasn't working properly. Since on separate itineraries, should give a little wiggle room for DL flight to be late. Give at least 90min to avoid stress/rushing
Old Oct 16, 2013, 9:30 pm

Keep in mind that if something goes wrong with your first flight, be it weather, plane, or crew problems, you will be out of luck. I have certainly had both cancelled and delayed flights.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 11:19 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the FT Hawaii Forum.
Thanks...
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Oct 17, 2013, 9:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
You can get a boarding pass in the gate area, however, there is only one desk for all the gates and usually only one person working it. And, if it's crowded, you will need extra time. I have been in the line waiting to get a boarding pass when my flight took off and they don't seem to be too interested in getting people processed. They used to have terminals where you could print your own boarding pass but, strangely, no more (which is really weird because outside security, it is ALL self service).

I'd give myself at least 1 1/2 hours between flights. If you miss the flight, they will put you on the next one. If this happens, be extra nice because some of these employees like to make you feel like they're doing you a huge favor.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 6:24 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Gold
Connecting time at HNL

Dear all:

First time flying Alaskair into HNL. I wonder how long does it take to get to hawaiian airline inter-island terminal since the flight I'm interested is only 30 mins after my landing. I took a look at the HNL airport map and saw there is AGRICULTURE INSPECTION? I wonder what is the chance to catch the flight.
BTW, I'm travelling in FC if that helps a bit to get out of plane faster.
http://hawaii.gov/hnl/terminal-infor...ry2ndFloor.pdf

beatxiaopi
Old Dec 20, 2013, 6:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
There's some guidance in the second post from this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawai...-airports.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.