Reload this Page >

Consolidated HNL/Honolulu/Waikiki/Oahu Restaurants & Bars Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 23, 2020, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Moderator's Note: This is an ARCHIVE (read-only) thread; the active thread for this topic may be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2070868-consolidated-hnl-honolulu-waikiki-oahu-restaurants-bars-thread-2021-a.html

Mahalo,

FlyinHawaiian, Co-Moderator
Hawaii (Travel) Forum
Print Wikipost

Consolidated HNL/Honolulu/Waikiki/Oahu Restaurants & Bars Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2014, 10:06 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by LA_FadeAway
What about Azure for our anniversary? I haven't seen it mentioned much in here but it does seem to get good reviews. If we go there do you recommend the tasting menu or ordering from the fresh fish menu? Thoughts?

How does it compare with Alan Wong's? Looking at that one too, but it's not by the beach of course.
Both are very good in our fairly recent experience. Food and service. Azure this past October. Alan Wong's last July. Azure will do a terrace cabana table which is lovely for a special occasion. We have reservations for both again this summer. Wong's for foody's can be an incredible experience. Expensive. Our last dinner for two -- 3 courses with cocktails/wine. Just under $400 with tip.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 10:07 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
What about Azure for our anniversary? I haven't seen it mentioned much in here but it does seem to get good reviews. If we go there do you recommend the tasting menu or ordering from the fresh fish menu? Thoughts?

How does it compare with Alan Wong's? Looking at that one too, but it's not by the beach of course.
If I was going for a beachside restaurant for a tasting menu, I would consider Le Mer (Actually, that is where we are headed this weekend!). Alan Wong's is a fine restaurant, but does not have the ambiance. Depends what you are seeking. If you want the best fish dish in town, go to Roy's and have the butterfish. ^^^
Old Apr 17, 2014, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC
If I was going for a beachside restaurant for a tasting menu, I would consider Le Mer (Actually, that is where we are headed this weekend!). Alan Wong's is a fine restaurant, but does not have the ambiance. Depends what you are seeking. If you want the best fish dish in town, go to Roy's and have the butterfish. ^^^
^ yes! Le Mer and Orchids at the Halekulani are both perfect for special occaisions. And we love Roy's Waikiki (right across the street from Halekulani) The original Roy's at Hawaii Kai Towne Center past Diamond Head is wonderul too. Can't go wrong at Roy's for a special night.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 2:48 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Silver
I've been looking at Orchids too and will add Roy's to the list. I was sort of trying to avoid chain restaurants but it sounds like the Roy's there is pretty good. Le Mer is a little more than we'd like to spend, the husband is not into French food, and there is no way he will pack a suit jacket for one dinner so I think it's out.

Oh, and thanks for the price point on Alan Wong's davesam12. I'd like to keep the total bill under $300 so that probably rules that one out too.

What is the ambiance like at Roy's compared to Azure or Orchids?
Old Apr 17, 2014, 3:17 pm

Azure, Orchids, Le Mer will have ocean views. Btw - Halekulani's Orchids and Le Mer have relaxed a bit on their dress code. Nixed the jacket requirement for Le Mer. Nice slacks, shoes, dress shirt with collar is fine now for men at the Halekulani during the evening. They just don't want the shorts, sandals and t-shirts one can get away with at other Waikiki restaurants any time..

Roy's Waikiki no view, but the original Roy's would have views.

All above have nice linens, china, glass ware, etc. and excellent wait staff.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
The original Roy's, in Hawaii Kai, really doesn't have very much in the way of views unless you sit outside.

It's across the street from the beach, with a busy road in-between. If you're inside, you might get lucky and get a table upstairs near a window, but I wouldn't count on it.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by Mary2e
The original Roy's, in Hawaii Kai, really doesn't have very much in the way of views unless you sit outside.

It's across the street from the beach, with a busy road in-between. If you're inside, you might get lucky and get a table upstairs near a window, but I wouldn't count on it.
That very accurate. Thanks. We have lucked out with a table window view there.

Also, to be more accurate about Halekulani's evening dress code. They just want men at Le Mer to have their arms covered. So if you don't wear a jacket they want a long sleve collared shirt.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by davesam12
Azure, Orchids, Le Mer will have ocean views. Btw - Halekulani's Orchids and Le Mer have relaxed a bit on their dress code. Nixed the jacket requirement for Le Mer. Nice slacks, shoes, dress shirt with collar is fine now for men at the Halekulani during the evening. They just don't want the shorts, sandals and t-shirts one can get away with at other Waikiki restaurants any time..
FYI, Le Mer does require a jacket for men. Just told that by their reservations staff.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by Mary2e

Typically, views in any restaurant depend on being near a window or other area with a lack of obstruction. The view from Roy's window is actually much better than the view from sitting outside on street level, but that locale might be enjoyed for other reasons.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC
FYI, Le Mer does require a jacket for men. Just told that by their reservations staff.
With respect. Ate at Le Mer last summer without jacket and just long sleeve collared dress shirt. Website now says long sleeve collared dress shirt OR jacket for men.

Last edited by davesam12; Apr 17, 2014 at 5:44 pm Reason: spelling
Old Apr 17, 2014, 5:46 pm

I've been looking at Orchids too and will add Roy's to the list. I was sort of trying to avoid chain restaurants but it sounds like the Roy's there is pretty good. Le Mer is a little more than we'd like to spend, the husband is not into French food, and there is no way he will pack a suit jacket for one dinner so I think it's out.

Oh, and thanks for the price point on Alan Wong's davesam12. I'd like to keep the total bill under $300 so that probably rules that one out too.

What is the ambiance like at Roy's compared to Azure or Orchids?
Roy's Hawaii Kai is the original location. Hard to think of it as a "Chain" that needs avoiding!

Le Mer will have a jacket on hand for your husband.

Ambiance: Orchids > Azure > Roy's
Old Apr 17, 2014, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by davesam12
With respect. Ate at Le Mer last summer without jacket and just long sleeve collared dress shirt. Website now says long sleeve collared dress shirt OR jacket for men.
Oh well! It must be a matter of who answers the phone these days! Thanks.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 9:06 pm

Anyone wish to comment on Top of Waikiki? We haven't been there since lunch before 911.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/top-of-waikiki-honolulu

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...hu_Hawaii.html
Old Apr 18, 2014, 1:46 am

Programs: UA/Hawaiian/Marriott
Originally Posted by KenfromDE
That may explain why the really bad reviews are usually the first ones.
I know folks from out here....back in KC.....NYC...Dallas....LA.... Miami....DC....etc. that are in the F&B Biz.

They all hate yelp and have gotten to the point that they don't even use it to judge their service anymore due to the "strong-arming" that yelp tries to do when you get bad reviews and/or stupid stuff is posted about your establishment.

I take anything posted on yelp with a grain of salt.....especially the bad reviews.

Just look at the ones for Top of Waikiki. Folks getting motion sickness...?? WTH...? It doesn't rotate that damn fast.....
Old Apr 18, 2014, 11:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by Bearcat06
I know folks from out here....back in KC.....NYC...Dallas....LA.... Miami....DC....etc. that are in the F&B Biz.

They all hate yelp and have gotten to the point that they don't even use it to judge their service anymore due to the "strong-arming" that yelp tries to do when you get bad reviews and/or stupid stuff is posted about your establishment.

I take anything posted on yelp with a grain of salt.....especially the bad reviews.

Just look at the ones for Top of Waikiki. Folks getting motion sickness...?? WTH...? It doesn't rotate that damn fast.....
How does yelp strong arm someone on an IBB?

I mean one of three things happens

1. they leave it as is
2. they delete your post
3. they change your post
or I guess a 4th
4. they would delete your account

but I can't imagine changing anything because of what they threaten me with or am I missing something

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.