Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVED "Renting Cars on Maui - Options, Questions, Suggestions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2011, 9:21 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by magsmeplease

Edit to say the UK site worked for me now, how do you tell the price quoted is all in? If it is including taxes, this would be the cheapest option of the 3, coming in at about $240.
You are all geniuses!
Click through to the next page and it tells you what is included
Old Sep 15, 2011, 9:42 pm

Ahh, i got ya.

The only downfall is that I have to pay upfront, though it may be worth doing for $100 savings on the best rate I've gotten so far.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 9:49 pm

I pay upfront with them for US rentals, they are owned by lastminute.com, which is in turn owned by travelocity so it is now as if you are giving your credit card to an unknown company.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 8:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
I just received a quote from discounthawaiicarrental.com for $792 from December 24 - Jan. 6 in LIH for a midsize. The base is $596.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
If you work for a good size corporation, check to see who their preferred car rental company is and see if you are allowed to use it for a personal rental. The insurance may be your responsibility. I've had very good luck reserving at my contracted corp rate when prices are ridiculously high, since the contracts are for a fixed rate.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Check availability with points. I booked christmas week with hertz points recently (rather than $1000+ )

I suspect prices will come down later - this seems to be a trend in HI.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by Mary2e
If you work for a good size corporation, check to see who their preferred car rental company is and see if you are allowed to use it for a personal rental. The insurance may be your responsibility. I've had very good luck reserving at my contracted corp rate when prices are ridiculously high, since the contracts are for a fixed rate.
Yeah, our corporate contract includes last-available car, so $265 all-in for a standard. Includes insurance as well. It's rarely useful, except at ultra-peak demand. They've never checked for my ID, but I can imagine they crack down during Xmas.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
They might crack down, but when I use any of my corporate rates I always carry my corp ID.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
This was discussed on another thread recently. I find that booking the car on a UK website works out cheaper for US rentals

Running those same dates through www.holidayautos.co.uk comes out at £155 a/i for a Chevrolet Aveo 2 door, or if you want 4 doors it costs £1 each per additional door (£157)

£155 is about US$250

Happy drivin'
I checked holiday autos for the two weeks around Christmas and new years and I can get a minivan for around $740. That appears to be the total cost for 2 weeks. Am I interpreting that correctly? That is about $300 better than the reservation that I'm holding. And, it is more than $1500 better than any current options.

How would this work using a US credit card? Would I be charged the foreign currency exchange? I don't think I'll ever be able to beat $740 for two weeks at that time of year in Maui. But, I'm a bit hesitant to make the prepaid reservation, particularly with the foreign exchange fee question.

Any comforting experiences with these guys to help me bite the bullet? Thanks

SDflyer04
Old Sep 19, 2011, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by sdflyer04
I checked holiday autos for the two weeks around Christmas and new years and I can get a minivan for around $740. That appears to be the total cost for 2 weeks. Am I interpreting that correctly? That is about $300 better than the reservation that I'm holding. And, it is more than $1500 better than any current options.

How would this work using a US credit card? Would I be charged the foreign currency exchange? I don't think I'll ever be able to beat $740 for two weeks at that time of year in Maui. But, I'm a bit hesitant to make the prepaid reservation, particularly with the foreign exchange fee question.

Any comforting experiences with these guys to help me bite the bullet? Thanks

SDflyer04
Well the FX costs depend on your credit card, you are best off checking with your credit card issuing bank to ask them. Outside of that the currency exchange is at the mercy of Visa, Amex, MasterCard etc.

My upcoming rental in Florida I booked at holidayautos.co.uk and paid with my Peruvian Amex card, for non Peruvian Soles transactions it equates to USD and the FX rate was very fair (within 1or 2% of the spot rate) on a car rental it worked out max $2-3 additional.

I am actually British and have UK credit and debit cards so for me it was convenience and I figured I wouldn't be biting a big bullet for FX

As I said earlier in the thread, holiday autos was owned by lastminute.com, which in turn was bought by travelocity, which in turn is owned by sabre holdings http://www.sabre-holdings.com/ourBrands/keyBrands.html so you are dealing with one of the biggest players in the travel industry
Old Sep 20, 2011, 11:03 am

I thought I should update, it appears holidayautos was unable to process my Canadian credit card.

I believe they require a UK card in order to actually process and complete the order. Or perhaps it is just an issue with North American cards?
Old Oct 17, 2011, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I would like to update this thread with the advice "On Kauai, Rent from Hertz". We paid an extra $20 per week over Alamo and I felt like it was well worth it. First, Hertz had continuous shuttles waiting - the new one came right as our left the airport. Second, my name was in lights as expected for #1 Gold service - so no waiting at the airport or at the lot -> at the beach quicker. I reserved a Fusion and received an Impala ^^ Just outstanding compared with my experiences at competitors on Maui. So maybe it's just Kauai, but I can unequivocally recommend Hertz here.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 5:24 pm

Maui -- do not rent from Hertz

Two things:Maui is not the mainland.
Hang loose Brah!

We have rented, a month at a time, form Hertz at OGG at least 6 times now -- no problems. Just be patient.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 7:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by richstacy
Two things:Maui is not the mainland.
Hang loose Brah!

We have rented, a month at a time, form Hertz at OGG at least 6 times now -- no problems. Just be patient.
Welcome to FT!

Hertz has a good customer service reputation.. but no one rental company on the islands is perfect..

I agree.. Its a bit more laid back there..
Old Jul 9, 2012, 1:41 am

Which rental car company is best for Maui?

Any advice as to which rental car company I should book for a six-day trip to Maui? Rates seem about equal for an intermediate car for my trip at the end of August.

I'm asking because when I flew to SD last month, I booked a car through Avis and the shuttles were non-existent. I saw plenty of other company shuttles flying by though. TIA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.