ARCHIVED "Renting Cars on Maui - Options, Questions, Suggestions" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVED "Renting Cars on Maui - Options, Questions, Suggestions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2012, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro (2MM), HH DIA, IHG PLT
I have historically rented directly from the majors but the last couple of times I have been pleasantly surprised with what I have found with:

http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/

Recent rentals through them ended up with a major but for pretty significant discounts from what the majors wanted.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:57 am

I wouldn't go without a car. With all the codes available you shouldn't need to spend more than $30/day on one either.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I do without a car on Maui for the most part (other than arrival day for a Costco run) but I have seen all there is to see and am going there to relax. Where I need transport I use the bus, incl return to the airport (I only have carry on). The bus is slow and routes somewhat cumbersome. For most people, and especially for a 2 day stay, a car is prudent. I often use Hertz points in Hawaii to make things work
Old Dec 8, 2012, 2:28 am

Originally Posted by Altaflyer
I do without a car on Maui for the most part (other than arrival day for a Costco run) but I have seen all there is to see and am going there to relax. Where I need transport I use the bus, incl return to the airport (I only have carry on). The bus is slow and routes somewhat cumbersome. For most people, and especially for a 2 day stay, a car is prudent. I often use Hertz points in Hawaii to make things work
I didn't know the public bus was available to and from OGG. Although I still recommend a car to almost any traveler this is useful info. Thanks
Old Dec 8, 2012, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by Maui Time
I have historically rented directly from the majors but the last couple of times I have been pleasantly surprised with what I have found with:

[url]http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.
Thank you! I rented through them for January for 15 days full size car only $503. What a difference as on orbitz most companies were around a thousand

Last edited by cblaisd; Dec 8, 2012 at 9:56 am Reason: Fixed quote-code
Old Dec 26, 2012, 7:30 am

Avis vs Budget at OGG

Any firsthand experiences? I realize they're in the same corporation, but service, selection of cars, etc. can vary. For Maui, the rental is just 3 days, and total price difference $30. For Kona, it'd be for 8 days and price difference much greater. Interestingly, although I find Avis generally more expensive, at our next stop (PDX), Avis is considerably less expensive. We did check prices at Enteprise, Hertz and others. Using a USAA discount code.

Last edited by cblaisd; Dec 28, 2012 at 10:23 pm Reason: Redacted poster's combined post about Maui/KOA into appropriate separate threads
Old Jul 17, 2013, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Car rental "at the dock" in Lahaina

I am going on a cruise this fall to Hawaii. Two of the stops are in Lahaina and Hilo. In both of these ports, we want to rent a car (Lahaina for a drive to Haleakala, in Hilo to Akaka Falls, Gardens, etc.)

In each port, is there a "better" rental car agency to use as far as picking up the car? Do any of the agencies bring the car to the dock? Any suggestions?

Last edited by cblaisd; Jul 20, 2013 at 3:43 pm Reason: Please use this thread for Lahaina comments only. Hilo questions/info split into its own thread. Thanks.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 11:53 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Hmmm. Lahaina is going to have to be a portage stop as the deep draft harbor is at Kahului. I think you might need to rely on whatever companies have locations in the town (which appear to be Dollar and Hertz); the nearest airport location would be JHM, a few miles away. As a UA Elite, you should have Hertz Gold status which should expedite your check-out, plus you could use your ZE1 points in lieu of paying the rate. I'm not a big fan of Dollar - too many horror stories.

Enjoy your trip to paradise!

Last edited by cblaisd; Jul 20, 2013 at 3:44 pm Reason: Removed Hilo info, since that's now in its own split-off thread
Old Jul 18, 2013, 6:55 am

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
CruiseCritic forum boards probably cover this in good detail as well.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 7:14 pm

Maui - Car Rental

Travelling to Maui next month. We'll be 2 adults and 2 young kids. We're planning on doing the road to Hana as well as the drive up Haleakalā mountain.

In regards to the car rental, what sort of car is recommended? Small, Intermediate or some sort of SUV?

Thanks
Old Dec 29, 2013, 7:23 pm

We usually rent an intermediate. The rent is only $17-$18 per day
for January on Avis (it just dropped!) No need for an SUV.
Fuel is a bit pricey in my opinion so smaller is better.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 7:58 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
Agreed, we did both the Road to Hana (to mile marker 10 at least) and the top of Halekala back in August with an intermediate rental from Hertz. Plenty of room for my 7 and 4 year olds. We never had to go off road so preferred the smoother ride of a car over an SUV.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by pilgrim
We usually rent an intermediate. The rent is only $17-$18 per day
for January on Avis (it just dropped!) No need for an SUV.
Fuel is a bit pricey in my opinion so smaller is better.
Thanks. Where are you seeing $18 per day? I"m seeing closer to $40 per day for intermediate.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 3:36 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Southwest Rapid Rewards A-List, HHonors Gold
Has anyone rented a convertible lately? National is charging an additional $500/week from a midsize. Any suggestions from those that have rented a convertible in the past? Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 3:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by htown
Has anyone rented a convertible lately? National is charging an additional $500/week from a midsize. Any suggestions from those that have rented a convertible in the past? Thanks in advance.
We've rented a convertible on Maui a number of years ago and the convertibles will run a premium on Maui (Oahu seems to give better deals on convertibles which we rented one last year).

All I can say is keep looking at as many websites as possible for booking rates. Nowadays, Costco website and expedia prepaid are pretty good options. If you must have a convertible and rates are still astronomical, I would suggest finding a hotel/accommodation contract rate code and book with that method.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.