Search

ARCHIVED "Renting Cars on Maui - Options, Questions, Suggestions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2012, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by love2ft
Any advice as to which rental car company I should book for a six-day trip to Maui? Rates seem about equal for an intermediate car for my trip at the end of August.

I'm asking because when I flew to SD last month, I booked a car through Avis and the shuttles were non-existent. I saw plenty of other company shuttles flying by though. TIA
Avis and Budget share shuttles at OGG. As a frequent business traveler to OGG, the one thing that always gets me is that on the return to the airport, you have to make a stop at Budget, and when you're in a bind to catch your flight, it can add to the delays (and I'm usually always in a hurry to standby for the next flight at OGG).

Hertz has its own shuttle, so that's always nice.

Otherwise, I think it's a wash. I've rented from Hertz, Budget, Avis, and National at OGG, and the shuttle frequencies are about the same (you probably won't wait more than 10 minutes for a shuttle). I believe Avis/Budget do run one additional shuttle because of the joint location. I'd probably stick to a car rental company where you have a preferred rental membership (to skip the lines). Or, have you tried Costco? Sometimes they some good deals.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 2:55 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver,United Miles plus Hawaiian Air AirTran SWA
Which rental car company is best for Maui?

Advantage is decent too
Now located behind Krispy Kreme
A two minute shuttle ride from OGG vs 1 min for most the others .
Old Jul 9, 2012, 11:55 am

We've always done well with Alamo. Used them for our last 5 trips to Maui. They have their own shuttle. Never noticed that long a wait for it. Nice thing is you can pick your car from what's available in the size you select. They don't just hand you the keys to the car in spot 34. For instance, my family hates driving cars with the gear shift up by the steering wheel - they like it between the seats - and we try to get a mid/full size with a sun roof if they have it. Helps air the car out quicker after a day at the beach.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 3:58 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Check out www.aloharents.com.

I have been amazed at their prices... never been able to beat them!
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:34 am

Thanks all - appreciate you sharing your experiences and pricing info!
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by wharvey
Check out www.aloharents.com.

I have been amazed at their prices... never been able to beat them!
Wow - these prices are good! Especially nice that there is no deposit required and no fee for cancellations/changes. Now to invest a little time to figure out which companies are "A", "B", etc. before reserving...
Old Jul 10, 2012, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by NYCKate
We've always done well with Alamo. Used them for our last 5 trips to Maui. They have their own shuttle. Never noticed that long a wait for it. Nice thing is you can pick your car from what's available in the size you select. They don't just hand you the keys to the car in spot 34. For instance, my family hates driving cars with the gear shift up by the steering wheel - they like it between the seats - and we try to get a mid/full size with a sun roof if they have it. Helps air the car out quicker after a day at the beach.
FYI, Alamo and National are owned by the same parent company, and National's services work the same way at OGG (and many airports across the nation).
Old Jul 10, 2012, 6:34 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
No need to worry about figuring it out... just submit the request... if you do not like what you get... just cancel it!

Originally Posted by love2ft
Wow - these prices are good! Especially nice that there is no deposit required and no fee for cancellations/changes. Now to invest a little time to figure out which companies are "A", "B", etc. before reserving...
Old Jul 21, 2012, 12:30 pm

Programs: BA, DL, HA, etc
Another Company

Another company to check is: http://hawaiidiscountcarrental.com/
Old Jul 25, 2012, 7:55 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
I've had the best luck with Alamo via Costco.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 6:48 am

Programs: UA 1K
Do you need a rental car on Maui?

i was thinking a short trip frpm HNL, but the rental car prices are crazy..$200 plus for 4 days...
Old Nov 18, 2012, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by UA1KPHL
do you need a rental car in Maui?
Absolutely. Unless you intend to remain parked at your hotel/resort the whole time, a rental car on Maui is a must. Try every code and rental car company you can think of (FlyerTalk has multiple threads on this) to bring the cost of the rental down.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 9:19 pm

Also, try priceline closer to your dates (2-4 weeks out?).

Worked really well for me 1.5 years ago @ HNL... IIRC, about $150 all-in for 9 days (+gas, no insurance).

I'm sure others here have better insight about Maui, tho...
Old Nov 18, 2012, 9:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Marriott, Delta, Alaska
Prices are sky high for cars for the next two weeks, but then the next two they return to normal before jumping again for the holiday period. But yes, you do need a car, unless you plan to never leave your hotel area or you know the bus system really well.

One thing you might think about is that you can fly interisland into Kapalua, and rent or return a car in either Kapalua or Ka'anapali at some of the major hotels. It's a hassle to do it for just a day or two, but might work depending on your plans.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 9:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
You need a car, no question.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.