FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVED "Renting Cars on Maui - Options, Questions, Suggestions" thread
Old Sep 19, 2011, 1:40 pm
JohnnyColombia
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by sdflyer04
I checked holiday autos for the two weeks around Christmas and new years and I can get a minivan for around $740. That appears to be the total cost for 2 weeks. Am I interpreting that correctly? That is about $300 better than the reservation that I'm holding. And, it is more than $1500 better than any current options.

How would this work using a US credit card? Would I be charged the foreign currency exchange? I don't think I'll ever be able to beat $740 for two weeks at that time of year in Maui. But, I'm a bit hesitant to make the prepaid reservation, particularly with the foreign exchange fee question.

Any comforting experiences with these guys to help me bite the bullet? Thanks

SDflyer04
Well the FX costs depend on your credit card, you are best off checking with your credit card issuing bank to ask them. Outside of that the currency exchange is at the mercy of Visa, Amex, MasterCard etc.

My upcoming rental in Florida I booked at holidayautos.co.uk and paid with my Peruvian Amex card, for non Peruvian Soles transactions it equates to USD and the FX rate was very fair (within 1or 2% of the spot rate) on a car rental it worked out max $2-3 additional.

I am actually British and have UK credit and debit cards so for me it was convenience and I figured I wouldn't be biting a big bullet for FX

As I said earlier in the thread, holiday autos was owned by lastminute.com, which in turn was bought by travelocity, which in turn is owned by sabre holdings http://www.sabre-holdings.com/ourBrands/keyBrands.html so you are dealing with one of the biggest players in the travel industry