Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "Big Island Volcano/Lava Flows & Lava Viewing" thread [PRE-2023]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Consolidated "Big Island Volcano/Lava Flows & Lava Viewing" thread [PRE-2023]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2008, 1:36 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Another amazing picture with today's story:

http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/...ws/local01.txt

And, add to the unpleasant ways that lava can kill you that perhaps you hadn't thought of

A pahoehoe lava flow has crossed near the end of an access road built in 2001 and may be entering the sea this morning... When lava does reach the sea, new hazards will be created. Contact with ocean will create a toxic steam plume that has been termed lava haze, or "laze." Chloride in the sea salt combines with hydrogen in the water to form hydrochloric acid in the lava plumes, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. This plume was blamed on the deaths of two people in November 2000, whose lungs filled with fluid after they inhaled the steam.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 6:22 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Health Threat Closes Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
2,200 Big Island Residents Affected By Increase In Sulfur Dioxide

POSTED: 7:49 am HST April 8, 2008
UPDATED: 2:00 pm HST April 8, 2008

HONOLULU -- Officials closed Hawaii Volcanoes National Park late on Tuesday morning because winds are blowing sulfur dioxide from an eruption of ash and gas from Kilauea Volcano.

Officials closed the park from Kilauea Military Camp to Chain of Craters Road. They closed Chain of Craters Road, Jaggar Museum and the hotel at Volcano.

Earlier in the day, county and state officials have issued an evacuation advisory for about 2,200 Big Island residents in the Kilauea volcano area because of toxic gas
More..... http://www.kitv.com/news/15825790/detail.html

And more:

HILO, Hawai'i — Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park closed this morning after park officials feared the combined emissions from Pu'u O'o and Halema'uma'u crater would be significant hazards as the wind shifts to the west at about noon today, said Big Island Mayor Harry Kim.
Advertisement

That evacuation included the Volcano House hotel within the park, with guests at the hotel moved to the Naniloa Volcanoes Resort in Hilo, Kim said. He said staffing at the park would be limited to required personnel only.

Civil defense officials at 9 p.m. last night announced voluntary evacuations for five communities northeast of Halema'uma'u crater as sulfur dioxide fumes in the area are expected to intensify today.

The voluntary evacuation advisory covered the Mauna Loa Estates, Ohia Estates and Volcano Golf Course subdivisions as well as the Volcano Village and Keauhou Ranch areas....
More: http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...ING01/80408015
Old Oct 16, 2008, 8:21 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Skymiles
Curious how today's flow or viewing opportunities compares with those of the past 25+ years. It's one thing to read the updates but to put that in perspective versus other flows in the recent past is difficult.
I guess any chance to watch Pele at work is golden but to those that have comparative experience or have monitored it in the past how would you grade what's happening currently?
Although I spent ten days in Puna in 2005 I never got very close to the action.
Seems like I got to Kehena Beach, blinked my eyes, and it was time to go home.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Note the county's lava viewing site in Kapalana (the best place to see flow right now), has changed viewing hours from 5 - 10 p.m.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...ING01/90126082

Again, the best time to visit is closest to gate closing, as you'll be able to park as close to the trailhead as possible.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Kilauea -- current impact on Big Island visitors?

This month, I'll be visiting the Big Island for the first time in 4 years. I'll be travelling around the island for a week.

Finally, for visiting the Volcano, does the lava flow look different from before? Last time, I remember driving south into the Park to a viewing area where, at night with a telescope, you could see the lava flow into the sea. Does it look different now?

Thanks.

Last edited by cblaisd; Apr 7, 2009 at 12:02 pm Reason: Vog part of post left in original thread, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/940919-kilauea-current-impact-big-island-visi
Old Apr 7, 2009, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, doing my own research, I see that the Kalapana lava viewing area reopened last year.

http://www.nps.gov/havo/planyourvisit/lavaflows2.htm
Old Apr 13, 2009, 5:20 pm

Programs: united, usair, southwest, gulfair, hertz
Hi

I'm visiting in the first week of may, so I'll look forward to your posts on how your trip worked out. I'll be staying at Volcano House so I can do the night hike/hikes. Let me know if you find the rain or heat affects your trip. Are you planning on special lava boots?
Old Apr 20, 2009, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nomadine
Hi

I'm visiting in the first week of may, so I'll look forward to your posts on how your trip worked out. I'll be staying at Volcano House so I can do the night hike/hikes. Let me know if you find the rain or heat affects your trip. Are you planning on special lava boots?
Pretty good viewing of the lava flow from Kalapana -- better than I had 4 years ago from the "other side of the road." No special shoes would be needed. Boots are obviously better than sneakers, but sneakers work. Don't try to do the lava in flip-flops. Flashlights are also a necessity. Temperatures not an issue, especially since you'll be doing the walk in the evening (Hawaii is not as hot as most visitors expect -- it is very temperate and comfortable most of the time).

Keep in mind that the lava viewing area is closer to Pahoa than it is to Volcano. In the past, I've stayed in Volcano, but I now prefer to rent a house in the Puna (SE) area instead. The weather is just MUCH more pleasant than in Volcano, especially in winter. And there's more opportunity for recreation, like swimming and snorkeling in the thermally-heated pools. The "Big Island Revealed" guidebook will steer you in the right direction.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 1:26 pm

Thanks for the information on boots/sneakers and Kalapana.

As per the guide books, the Pahoa and Kilauea sides get similar weather. It must be that Pahoa is at sea level whereas Kilauea is higher up. That must make some difference in weather.
Its for me to discover next week.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the information on boots/sneakers and Kalapana.

As per the guide books, the Pahoa and Kilauea sides get similar weather. It must be that Pahoa is at sea level whereas Kilauea is higher up. That must make some difference in weather.
Yeah, it's definitely the elevation that makes the difference. I have spent time in Volcano in the winter and been warm, but I've also been there and it's been cold. Of course, I'd think May would be a bit nicer.

I'd try to time your walk so that you leave the parking lot at sunset. This way you could walk in with a little light. Iit would certainly make it a bit easier -- the footing is only so-so. Expect a fair number of people -- especially at sunset. I suspect there's little to see before the sun goes down.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by iahphx
Well, doing my own research, I see that the Kalapana lava viewing area reopened last year.

http://www.nps.gov/havo/planyourvisit/lavaflows2.htm
Yes, and if you read the first three pages, you could have easily found that out here as well.
May will bring you significantly warmer weather than in the winter months. It may still be long sleeve T-shirt cold but it shouldn't be sweater cold.

As for the Kalapana Hike: my suggestion is to go about 1-2 hours prior to closing. This will allow you to park as close to the trail head as possible, since other visitors will have left by then. If you go earlier, you can find yourself with a 1-1.5 mile hike to get to the trail head, depending on how busy it is that day. It is a spectacular sight and the county folks do a good job in maintaining and overseeing the trail. Good luck and drive safe (esp at night).
Old Apr 28, 2009, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by slippahs
Yes, and if you read the first three pages, you could have easily found that out here as well.

May will bring you significantly warmer weather than in the winter months. It may still be long sleeve T-shirt cold but it shouldn't be sweater cold.

As for the Kalapana Hike: my suggestion is to go about 1-2 hours prior to closing. This will allow you to park as close to the trail head as possible, since other visitors will have left by then. If you go earlier, you can find yourself with a 1-1.5 mile hike to get to the trail head, depending on how busy it is that day. It is a spectacular sight and the county folks do a good job in maintaining and overseeing the trail. Good luck and drive safe (esp at night).
This is actually a merged thread. Flyertalk's somewhat inadequate search function prevented me from finding the original thread. Hence the need for my own research.

As far as arrival time, I actually did arrive toward the end of the viewing period and DID get a spot right at the trailhead. That was good. Having to walk both ways in the dark? That was bad -- but certainly doable. But I guess you have to pick your poison: if the traffic is bad, perhaps walking in the dark is better.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 8:38 pm

iahphx, slippahs

Since you have done it before, is it safe to leave laptops, equipment and stuff in a car and walk away into the dark? And I assume there are enough people around to walk to the trail head upto 10.00 PM or Midnight?

Thanks for all the hints. I can pack lighter and have carry on luggage only. I guess another issue would be that I should leave my tripod behind. TSA may not allow it on board.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

iahphx, slippahs

Since you have done it before, is it safe to leave laptops, equipment and stuff in a car and walk away into the dark? And I assume there are enough people around to walk to the trail head upto 10.00 PM or Midnight?

Thanks for all the hints. I can pack lighter and have carry on luggage only. I guess another issue would be that I should leave my tripod behind. TSA may not allow it on board.
It's never safe to leave valuables in a rental car here in Hawaii, so I wouldn't recommend it unless you absolutely had to. The best deterrence to theft is to keep things out of sight, so if you have to, keep it in the trunk. There is limited lighting any way and the entrance to the parking area of the trail does have county officials/Big Island police officers, so it's not as bad as an unattended park but it's better safe than sorry, no?
Old Apr 29, 2009, 9:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
If you do need to leave something in the car, put it in the trunk BEFORE leaving your point of origin. Never take something from the cabin and put it in the trunk after arriving - that's code for 'break into my trunk and take the stuff I just put there'.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.