Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "Big Island Volcano/Lava Flows & Lava Viewing" thread [PRE-2023]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Consolidated "Big Island Volcano/Lava Flows & Lava Viewing" thread [PRE-2023]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2012, 1:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0.0.261 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

A call to HCD seems to indicate its a half mile rt walk to the lava flow (but it doesn't seem to be updated in the New Year)

Hope to run out there in a couple days-
Old Jan 7, 2012, 11:09 am

Went out on tuesday

The wife and I did the hike from the end of Chain of Craters road on tuesday January 3rd we walked a good pace and it took us about two and a halfish hours to get out to where the lava flow should have been.

We got some steam vents, some very hot rocks, but could not find any visible lava flow. We spent some time along what we believed was a lava tube (smoke rising from several different places along a line) but saw nothing...
We ended up crossing to the other side of where the lava was and made our way to the webcam set up in the park... we waved at it a few times then made our way back to the chain of craters road unsuccessful.

We then took a helicopter tour the next day out of Hilo, and again saw no flowing lava, we hovered over a couple small openings which we could see a glimpse of an orange glow, but that was it.

So, that was the status as of tuesday and wednesday, good luck in your discovery of more!
Old Jan 7, 2012, 2:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by magsmeplease
The wife and I did the hike from the end of Chain of Craters road on tuesday January 3rd we walked a good pace and it took us about two and a halfish hours to get out to where the lava flow should have been.

We got some steam vents, some very hot rocks, but could not find any visible lava flow. We spent some time along what we believed was a lava tube (smoke rising from several different places along a line) but saw nothing...
We ended up crossing to the other side of where the lava was and made our way to the webcam set up in the park... we waved at it a few times then made our way back to the chain of craters road unsuccessful.

We then took a helicopter tour the next day out of Hilo, and again saw no flowing lava, we hovered over a couple small openings which we could see a glimpse of an orange glow, but that was it.

So, that was the status as of tuesday and wednesday, good luck in your discovery of more!
Thanks for the update- went to the park Thursday after hitting the black sand beach- but didn't hear much encouraging news on the flow part. Stopped in for Thai Thai and drove on into the park at a bit past 7 PM (no one collecting ) and watched the steam plume from the Jaggar Museum- got some interesting shots and it was a clear night so good plume viewing (saw it from a distance before it got dark too).
Old Apr 5, 2012, 4:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Update, to our visit Volcanoes National Park April 3rd, 2012

Halema'uma'u has an orange lava glow.. the lava surface is 150 ft approximate from the opening. There are lava flows that can be seen from inside the park from the west, and outside of the park viewing from the east.

For live webcam updates.. I obtained the following links from the staff at Volcanoes National Park..

http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov

For Park information..

http://nps.gov/havo

We ate Kiawe restaurant in Volcano Village. Very good restaurant and comes highly recommended. Thai Thai I hear is also pretty good too, but we didn't have the pleasure.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro

We ate Kiawe restaurant in Volcano Village. Very good restaurant and comes highly recommended. Thai Thai I hear is also pretty good too, but we didn't have the pleasure.
Past three years I've had Thai Thai mmm...

End up with Pad Thai - Thai Spicy Delicious...

Glad the glow was strong ^
Old Apr 7, 2012, 12:01 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by beckoa
Past three years I've had Thai Thai mmm...

End up with Pad Thai - Thai Spicy Delicious...

Glad the glow was strong ^
The concierge tells me the Pad Thai has some sauce making it moist.. makes it distinct on the island.

Have you tried Lava cafe at the volcano?

First time we dined at Volcano Village, but allowed us to go back to the Halema'uma'u viewing after dark.
Old May 10, 2012, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
off to the islands in 10 days with family. Not sure if we will get to see any lava but it will be fun anyway!
Old Sep 1, 2012, 2:57 am

Talking Happy to help

Hello all. I live and work on top of Kilauea and have a particularly inside knowledge of all the park stuff. Feel free to message me for information, or to have me set your lava viewing expectations at the correct level, as that is constantly in flux.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by BarScheeze
Hello all. I live and work on top of Kilauea and have a particularly inside knowledge of all the park stuff. Feel free to message me for information, or to have me set your lava viewing expectations at the correct level, as that is constantly in flux.
Welcome to Flyertalk BarScheeze - I'm sure that folks will pick you up on your offer- as insider info is great to have. Any plans on moving the flow back to park lands as the county is very restrictive on viewing (j/k about moving- but it sure isn't the same experience as it was in 2001)...

And I guess you'd have the scoop on other things like Cafe 100 as well
Old Sep 2, 2012, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Originally Posted by BarScheeze
Welcome to Flyertalk BarScheeze - I'm sure that folks will pick you up on your offer- as insider info is great to have.
Seconded!

And I guess you'd have the scoop on other things like Cafe 100 as well
I'm around the corner from Cafe 100 pretty often - including right now - although I almost never go out to eat there. Maybe I should make, and regularly update, a post for the Loco Moco special of the month.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by DanTravels
I'm around the corner from Cafe 100 pretty often - including right now - although I almost never go out to eat there. Maybe I should make, and regularly update, a post for the Loco Moco special of the month.
That could be considered cruel and unusual punishment
Old Oct 19, 2012, 2:24 pm

Programs: DL SM, HH Silver, SPG Gold
Hello BarScheeze!

The wife and I will be traveling next month to Hawaii for the first time. We're planning to spend a couple of nights at Volcano Village. Are you familiar with any of the inns in the area? I'm between the Lotus Garden Cottages (volcanogetaway.com) and Volcano Places (volcanoplaces.com). Not sure exactly where each one is located and how convenient it is to get there.

Any information you could share is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Nexus 617
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:58 pm

Any good updates? In Pāhoa for a couple nights and tempted to run down 130 to the county viewing area (as ridiculous as they make the viewing). Also heard that there *might* be viewing on park land again, but is a looong hike.

Mahalo
Old Dec 29, 2012, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by Nexus 617
Hello BarScheeze!

The wife and I will be traveling next month to Hawaii for the first time. We're planning to spend a couple of nights at Volcano Village. Are you familiar with any of the inns in the area? I'm between the Lotus Garden Cottages (volcanogetaway.com) and Volcano Places (volcanoplaces.com). Not sure exactly where each one is located and how convenient it is to get there.

Any information you could share is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Nexus 617
We a couple stayed here http://www.bbmtview.com/index.html years ago and enjoyed it. A retired couple own it & are very accommodating. Lovely property. It's in Mtn. View, a few miles from Volcano.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 1:10 am

Any good updates? In Pāhoa for a couple nights and tempted to run down 130 to the county viewing area (as ridiculous as they make the viewing). Also heard that there *might* be viewing on park land again, but is a looong hike.

Mahalo
Well took the drive down 130 to the county viewing area- and was a solid meh. We got there before sunset so saw the line of steam that was the flow, but after dark only a half dozen or so "glowing blobs" were visible from a distance uphill. Still was a nice drive

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.