Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "Big Island Volcano/Lava Flows & Lava Viewing" thread [PRE-2023]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Consolidated "Big Island Volcano/Lava Flows & Lava Viewing" thread [PRE-2023]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2006, 11:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
We did the hike from the Kalapana side and were very happy we did. Very few people, much better views and a greater feeling of awe.

There was an odd feeling of awe and sympathy as you ride the end of 130 between the paved and graveled lavaflow sections and see how some of the former residents refuse to give up their land to Pele - they live in mobile homes, tents or are rebuilding their former homes. There even appears to be a new subdivision being put up closer to the ocean.

We expected to find a lonely, abandonded place with no people. Quite the contrary. There is a tour company called "Arnett" that runs guided hikes (for those who don't want to try it alone) and they had 6 vans parked there when we arrived. While hiking out to the flow, we encountered almost 50 of their customers hiking back in 3 groups. We did see one unfortunate casualty - a woman who fell on the lava had a huge wraparound bandage covering a massive gash on her leg as she was being helped back. A reminder to walk carefully on the lava.

There are sticks that were placed out to mark a very rudimentary path to the flow, although they only extend part of the way and you are basically on your own hiking across the flows. Just go slowly and look for the flattest parts of least resistance.

You have to use your own judgement and instinct to stay off the lava bench and avoid walking over the lava tube - either of these represent deadly hazards. There are no guides, ropes or signs to warn you. The Arnett tour guides had placed a shirt and hat in two spots to mark a basic viewing area. You don't want to get closer, because that would put you on the bench and over the tube - not to mention what would happen if the wind shifted and blew the sulfuric acid and glass plume at you.

While standing at the viewing spot, some hot gas came out of a crack and blew against my leg - which was a signal it was time to step back.

We encountered a tourist hiking back (more like jogging at the rate she was going)...she said she went right to the edge and peered into the lava pool flowing into the ocean and thought about climbing down to the water below. I was really surprised to hear this, but then again to each his/her own. For obvious reasons if you choose to do that, you're taking your life in your hands - not really worth it for a photo op.

If you want to do this hike at night, it's hazardous but doable - I strongly suggest the use of a handheld GPS (with extra batteries) that you can use to track your hiking route out to flow during twilight, then use the reciprocal routing option to trace your way back to the car. With the GPS, strong flashlights and alot of patience, you should be OK. I wouldn't do it at night without a GPS, though...but that's just me. Also, I agree with KonaHI's point regarding vandalism. It's best not to be the only car out there at night. I got the impression that local folks don't like their land, covered in lava or not, being turned into a tourist route.

If you do the hike during the daytime, it's worthwhile to stop at the Painted Church on 130 just outside Kalapana - it was famously rescued from the clutches of Pele with just moments to spare, and relocated further up the highway away from danger.

There are some photos of the lava and ocean entry at my album here
Old Oct 26, 2006, 12:23 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Awesome report. ^

That a'a lava is indeed nasty stuff to fall on; like broken glass.

The company you saw is Arnott's
http://www.arnottslodge.com/HOME.HTML

They're good folks.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 1:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by cblaisd
The company you saw is Arnott's

They're good folks.
Thanks for the link. I didn't know we could meet them at the trailhead to join their guided hike...we will next time. It looks like they found surface breakouts up from the ocean entry just two days before we got there. I think combining the Kalapana-side hike with knowledgable guides is the best of both worlds.

Hopefully some forum members can give them a try and report their experience. Although the webpage was full of warnings which made it seem like you needed to be an athletic 20something to handle the trip, I can report that I saw people of almost every size, shape and alleged fitness level (as well as a variety of ages) on their tour. They even give out white gloves for people to wear in case they need to grab or touch lava to maintain their balance.

For lava hikers - I strongly recommend taking a walking stick or two. It makes the hike and keeping your balance much easier.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I read recently that the ocean entry at East Ka'ili'ili and some Pali flows (Campout Flow) are better seen from the Kalapana side of the park. I couldn't find any information about the state re-opening the access from that side, but I remember they paved over alot of the lava flow along the shoreline making the hike to that ocean entry much easier and provided a gravel road for closer car access.

Has anyone gone out to watch the flow from the other side, and if so, how did you get there, where did you park and how was the hike? I read on Konaweb that some people have been going out that way, but we don't want to be the only ones walking out there at night all alone or come back to find a problem with the rental car either.
I did the hike starting around sunrise with a friend a month or so ago. It was about 3 miles from the gravel lot at the end of the end of the end of the end of the road, took us about an hour. We didn't find breakouts that day, but had a good view of the sea entry and found a small skylight.

Due to travel and work, I don't think I'll get down there again until around Christmas at the earliest, or I'd offer to play guide.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 1:03 am

Programs: Lufthansa Silver, Qatar Silver,FA Alitalia, British Airways gold
New lava flow best view

Hi,
I am flying to Hilo on the 20th from Italy to see the vulcano.
Due to recent events which is the best way to see it?
Is there any good spot or all best view areas are closed to public?
What about the helicopter tour?Does it get near enough?
Thanks

Matteo
Old Aug 9, 2007, 1:40 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

First, I would take a look at this page
http://www.nps.gov/havo/closed_areas.htm
Right now the visible lava changes daily, even hourly.

If you want to take whatever hiking tour is available, I'd do it through Arnott's Lodge
They are pros. The fee is pricey, but worth it.

If you want to do a helicopter tour (which, if you have the money, I'd highly recommend), then Blue Hawaiian is the best, imo. http://www.bluehawaiian.com/
Old Aug 12, 2007, 10:56 am

Programs: Lufthansa Silver, Qatar Silver,FA Alitalia, British Airways gold
Thanks,
very helpful.
Unfortunately it seems that there no hikes to see lava in these period...
Damn....20 flight hours and not be able to see the lava!!
Old Aug 14, 2007, 5:39 pm

Programs: LatamPass Gold, SAS EBB, M&M
Rent a car at Hilo airport and drive to the Volcano Park. There you can find the latest news about the lava activities and hiking options. When I was there the rangers kept telling the visitors that the 2-3-hour hike to the lava might be pretty strenuous, so it is recommended only to experienced hikers. Well, it wasn't that strenuous at all. It might be strenuous for many local (US) tourists because they don't walk much in general, but for an Italian, this won't be a problem at all.

Have fun there, the lava is really worth seeing.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, LA, WN, SPG Plat, MR Gold
If it's at the end of Chain of Crater's road, it may not be strenuous, but it can be dangerous.

As I walked towards the lava flows in July, the hardened rock underneath me gradually became softer and softer, such that every step I took, I could hear glass crackling underneath me. One unfortunate step led to me slipping and cutting myself on the rock. Thankfully I had some NPS pamphlets to stop the bleeding!

Furthermore, the best time to hike it is at sunset, so after admiring the lava at this time, the hike back is completely in the dark. That being said, I saw about 6 or 7 shooting stars, which was pretty cool! ^^

(Note, a bunch of people came from the other side of the park, probably from Arnott's? They had a much shorter hike than me.)
Old Aug 14, 2007, 5:58 pm

There is no lava to be seen via hiking right now.
http://www.arnottslodge.com/volcano.html

And this is worth heeding: http://www.state.hi.us/dlnr/chair/pi...NR/07-N076.htm

And also see: http://volcano.wr.usgs.gov/hvostatus.php
Old Aug 16, 2007, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
The helicopters only fly during the day so you see mostly steam. It is a fun trip though.

Edit: I just saw some great pics that a friend took a few days ago from a helicopter in broad daylight!

Last edited by philemer; Aug 24, 2007 at 7:12 pm
Old Aug 17, 2007, 2:50 pm

Programs: AmEx Centurion
2 weeks ago I took a helicopter tour. I recommend the one without doors, so you will actually feel the heat from the lava.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 1:41 pm

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Kilauea's newest lava finger, fed by a channel overflow, began just before noon, the day-before-yesterday, this past Tuesday, Aug 21st; potentially posing a threat to people and property. Co-incidentally, the fissure responsible for this newest flow, began exactly one month prior, on July 21st. My hopes for a benign outcome to any and all affected. Article and photos: http://starbulletin.com/2007/08/23/news/story02.html

Last edited by kaukau; Aug 23, 2007 at 2:22 pm
Old Aug 23, 2007, 9:27 pm

This new finger is VERY worrisome for Puna folks!
Old Aug 24, 2007, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
I hope that you have the resources there to reduce the risks and evacuate people if necessary. Hope it doesn't get anywhere near that far.

Please keep us updated, dear locals.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.