Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "Big Island Volcano/Lava Flows & Lava Viewing" thread [PRE-2023]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Consolidated "Big Island Volcano/Lava Flows & Lava Viewing" thread [PRE-2023]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2003, 10:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Recent Volcano Lava Viewing?

I know the viewing opportunities can change daily (along with the weather), but I am curious if any fellow flyertalkers have been to the HVNP in the past week or so and could report their lava viewing experiences?

calling the park hotline, the recording states that lava viewing is a "very difficult" 4 hour roundtrip hike off the end of chain of craters road. It sounds like we need at least 10 hours total to get to park from Kona, spend some time visiting other park exhibits, and then have time to hike to see the lava. Is this a correct assumption? Is the hike worthwhile? Are you basically following some type of pathway, or are you climbing over piles and hills of old lava (which is like climbing over broken glass, I hear). We are planning to hike with long pants, sturdy shoes, lots of water, gloves, and flashlights.

I hope the volcano perks up abit when we get there (wishfull thinking ), like it did earlier this week, but in case things are quiet, we want to plan our time efficiently.
Old Oct 8, 2003, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
FYI, the park hotline is the most reliable information out there as park rangers constantly scour the area. Although I cannot say that I've been up to the park lately, I can tell you that very nice updated information can always be found here: http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/kilauea/update/

If the park rangers are saying it'll take four hours for a good peak at the flows, then it most likely will. It will not take 10 hours to get to the VNP from Kona, although I don't quite think that's what you meant.

The paths vary in the parks. Most of the paths are laid out. You probably don't want to venture off into unchartered territory out there because you just might fall in through shaky ground. Be aware of the two types of lava (pahoehoe and a'a) and which one is more dnagerous of the two.

Also, your list of "equipment" sounds good, but just as a safety precaution, make sure to take a cell phone and be cautious out on the roads in the park as there have been many fatalities on the roads there in the past (Pele?).

Aloha
Old Oct 8, 2003, 1:31 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Hi Slippahs

As always, thanks for the great advise. I was hoping to see some crowds there and then just follow the flow of other people to and from the viewing site. I was just curious if the hike was more walking or crawling/climbing Given the chance of falling through thin ground or getting splashed by a sudden flow, I planned to be very careful and stick to the pathways.

The 10 hour estimate was based on 5 hours of roundtrip driving, the 4 hour hike, an hour watching lava...but did not leave much time for exploring other parts of the park like the Thurston Tube

We are landing at KOA around 1045A. I had hoped to pop into the HWV where we are staying and try to secure some type of room preference before heading out to the park (we will be there the same time as the Ironman Triathalon, so rooms will be scarce)...then drive straight through to the park from the hotel. I don't want to be rushed, so my other thought was to swap the days activities so we visit the Mauna Loa visitor center for the nighttime telescope viewing the first day, and then spend the whole second day at the HVNP instead.

How long does it usually take to drive via Saddle Rd from the HWV to the Onizuka VIS? I was thinking to get to the hotel from the airport, relax for a few hours, then start heading up to the VIS around 4P or 5P to get there before sunset? Does that sound like a good plan, or would you suggest sticking to the original plan which has us doing the volcano for the balance of the first day and then relaxing the second day until mid-afternoon before heading to the VIS.

Sorry for all the questions if you ever have plans to visit southeast Florida, let me know and I will come up with a great itinerary for you
Old Oct 8, 2003, 3:54 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bocastephen:
Hi Slippahs

We are landing at KOA around 1045A. I had hoped to pop into the HWV where we are staying and try to secure some type of room preference before heading out to the park (we will be there the same time as the Ironman Triathalon, so rooms will be scarce)...then drive straight through to the park from the hotel. I don't want to be rushed, so my other thought was to swap the days activities so we visit the Mauna Loa visitor center for the nighttime telescope viewing the first day, and then spend the whole second day at the HVNP instead.

How long does it usually take to drive via Saddle Rd from the HWV to the Onizuka VIS? I was thinking to get to the hotel from the airport, relax for a few hours, then start heading up to the VIS around 4P or 5P to get there before sunset? Does that sound like a good plan, or would you suggest sticking to the original plan which has us doing the volcano for the balance of the first day and then relaxing the second day until mid-afternoon before heading to the VIS.

</font>
My vote would be to spend your first day on the northern end of the island and hang out. It's about a 20 min drive from KOA to the HWV and about a 3 hour drive from the HWV down the Kona side of the island to the volcano. I'd say about 45 min from the HWV to the Onizuka center.

Since you mentioned the Ironman, please know that much of the bicycle route is the highway from Kailua-Kona up past Waikoloa and the marathon is in the area to the south of the town. You may encounter travel delays due to people training and setting up booths and aid stations.

I'll spare you the speech on driving the Saddle Road - just be cautious and take it easy.

I've always spent one full day at the volcano. Less rushed. Last Feb. FlyinHawaiian Tour #43 left Waikoloa right after an early breakfast and stopped in Punaluu at the bakery and we bought some sandwiches and chips for lunch to take with us in the park. There is really no place to get any food in the park. We spent all afternoon in the park, spent sunset at the new flow and then drove back to Waikoloa via Hilo and the Saddle Road. We stopped and had dinner in Hilo. I think we back here at the hotel at about 10 p.m.

The hike from where chain of craters road ends to the entry point of lava is not really on a marked trail. You are just walking on a recent flow. There are a few cones here and there, but no path, other the one that foot traffic has worn on the surface of the flow. It's pretty rugged terrain, but no real climbing.
Old Oct 8, 2003, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
My experience from several trips to view the lava is that you never know what can be seen until you arrive. The guys at HVO do a great job with the updates and that will probably be your best source before talking to the rangers at the end of Chain of Craters road. I have been to view lava when it has been a two hour hike each way, but earlier this year great viewing was had only 20 minutes from the car. A new fissure may open up tomorrow and there may be lava all over the place. Either way you will have a great time.

By all means bring sturdy hiking boots, water and flashlight if doing the long traverse. There are no real trails or footpaths and the new rock can be quite sharp. My family and I have always done the trip in shorts, but a couple of years ago my wife slipped and scraped her leg quite badly. The walk back to the car in the dark can be quite an adventure. Have fun.
Old Oct 8, 2003, 9:32 pm

Spent two nights in Volcano National Park last week and both nights were able to view lava flowing. The lava appeared to stop about 2/3 the way down the mountain, never reaching the sea. The Rangers said that the flow changes daily so I recommend checking the report at the Visitor Center at the park's entrance. The hike to the lava's edge takes about three hours (roundtrip) as was told to us by some hikers that had just made the hike. We didn't go that far because we had to hike over mounds of lava rock which proved a little on the difficult side after nightfall. We did see some cool views though. Have a good time!
Old Oct 8, 2003, 9:39 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
http://www.roadtripamerica.com/signs/toohot.htm
Old Oct 9, 2003, 9:08 am

thanks for the great tips we are going to relax and hang out at the HWV lagoon for most of the first day, then drive to the Onizuka VIS about 530-6p. The second day, we will devote the day to the HVNP...but might swap back depending on the lava viewing report we get on the recorded message. Either way, I know we will have a great time, and I will have one heck of a long trip report to compose when I get back
Old Oct 10, 2003, 1:22 pm

What hotels if any do you suggest for an overnight trip to the Volcano? We have a reservation at the Volcano House with a crater view room, but have been reading bad reviews of the hotel. Rates are $165 a night and if there is no lava flowing, it might not be worth the price.
Old Oct 10, 2003, 4:37 pm

Jack, The Volcano house is the only hotel close hotel. I believe the next closest hotel is at least 45 miutes away...maybe others can provide better info. You can't view the lava flow from the Volcano House as it is a 20 mile drive on Chain of Craters Road to the closest viewing point...but that was last week. The view from your room looks down into a huge crater and miles of lava fields on the horizon. The Volcano House is a very old, historic building and a pretty cool place to stay, even if it is a bit pricey. Keep in mind that the hotel is not a brass and glass fancy Hilton or Sheraton but rather a woodsy, cottage atmoshphere type hotel run by the Park Service. The rooms are nothing spectacular but they are livable. The restuarant at the hotel is a 5-star buffet for breakfast and lunch and was selected as one of the top 50 buffets in the country. Good eats! Enjoy your visit!

[This message has been edited by pacman (edited 10-10-2003).]
Old Oct 11, 2003, 7:27 am

Programs: BA, DL, HA, etc
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Jack:
What hotels if any do you suggest for an overnight trip to the Volcano? We have a reservation at the Volcano House with a crater view room, but have been reading bad reviews of the hotel. Rates are $165 a night and if there is no lava flowing, it might not be worth the price.</font>
If you were in the military, the Kiluea Military Camp is convenient and cheaper than alternatives.

http://www.kmc-volcano.com/
Old Apr 27, 2004, 10:36 am

Best lava viewing since last fall.

From the Hawaiian Volcano Observatory's daily update:

0555 April 27
A 200-250-m-wide lava flow is visible this morning at the 1800-1600-foot elevation on Pulama pali. The flow consists of numerous small breakouts, some with small channels. The flow has two prongs, the western the wider and lower of the two. This is the best display of lava since last fall and is attracting the attention of many visitors, even at dawn....
Old Apr 27, 2004, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Knowing that you're a lava junkie, I do hope you get a chance to see the lava AGAIN, really really SOON. Thanks for the update

aloha

edited for two words...

Last edited by slippahs; Apr 27, 2004 at 2:22 pm
Old Apr 27, 2004, 1:47 pm

That's much better!

LAVA
from my last two visits

Last edited by dhacker; Apr 27, 2004 at 2:28 pm Reason: to respond in-kind
Old Apr 27, 2004, 2:37 pm

Yippee! Maybe this flow will make it back down to the shoreline by late summer, just in time for my trip Just as long as it crosses existing lava fields and doesn't start burning anything still growing. The in-depth discussion at that site points to more activity up at the top of the Mother's Day lava tube, which I believe started the last huge flow - if that really get's going again, the viewing should be excellent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.