Maui 2nd COVID test at arrival at OGG [No Longer Required]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 30, 2021, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 1KChinito
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
Maui confirmed the airport testing will only happen at OGG...and that if you show a vaccination card, you don't need to take the airport test. It takes 15-20 minutes to get test results; if that's positive, they'll do a second test at the airport. If the 2nd test verifies the positive, you are put on the no fly list and need to quarantine at an approved location for 10 days at your expense. If the second test shows the first was a false positive, you are free to go.
https://www.mauicounty.gov/2393/Coro...portation-Rela
Print Wikipost

Maui 2nd COVID test at arrival at OGG [No Longer Required]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2021, 1:14 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Maui cases continue to drop nicely. Hoping they suspend to program.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 4:01 pm

Maui gov announced that fully vaccinated-trans pacific travelers can skip the mandatory post-arrival test if they can show proof of the vaccination in that timeframe.
matthewcr, nnn and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by grizindabo24
Maui gov announced that fully vaccinated-trans pacific travelers can skip the mandatory post-arrival test if they can show proof of the vaccination in that timeframe.
Maui "gov"ernor? Or Maui Mayor?
Old Apr 27, 2021, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by BlueZebra
Maui "gov"ernor? Or Maui Mayor?
My bad, it was the mayor.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
While the mayor of Maui said those that are vaccinated can skip the airport test, he also said 1)they haven't selected a company to do the testing and 2)they don't know what this effort will cost.

For something that supposedly starts next week, there sure are some big things missing.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 10:11 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
While the mayor of Maui said those that are vaccinated can skip the airport test, he also said 1)they haven't selected a company to do the testing and 2)they don't know what this effort will cost.

For something that supposedly starts next week, there sure are some big things missing.
Interesting, I guess they could try and snag the crews that will be abandoned once the Big Island ends their post-arrival testing program May 1st.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
Interesting, I guess they could try and snag the crews that will be abandoned once the Big Island ends their post-arrival testing program May 1st.
would those crews need to test before or after flying intra-Hawaii?
Old Apr 28, 2021, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by gaobest
would those crews need to test before or after flying intra-Hawaii?
No the Big Island (and Maui when it starts) have not required inter-island travelers to take the second test upon arrival.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 12:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by grizindabo24
Right... until they change their mind tomorrow.

Honestly, I'm perplexed why people are so desperate to go to Hawaii right now. The whole situation (i.e. differing and constantly changing rules, etc.) is a complete dumpster fire.

Regards
denver19 likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu

Honestly, I'm perplexed why people are so desperate to go to Hawaii right now. The whole situation (i.e. differing and constantly changing rules, etc.) is a complete dumpster fire.

Regards
Yeah the differing rules for each county is getting old. I get that they are worried about the smaller neighbor islands due to less hospital capacity vs Oahu but they should standardize the rules at this point in time. The post-arrival testing is a dumb idea too. The cases #s on Maui have dropped since the initial fear over the outbreak last month and the initial announcement on the implementation of a second test. The Big Island has been doing the post-arrival testing for months now and they have found more cases that turned out to be false positives from the antigen test that came back negative with the the follow up PCR vs the confirmed actual positives from the PCR.
LETTERBOY and scottinaz like this.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by scubadu

Regards
Have you actually gone? We have been there twice since December. Its definitely not the standard trip, but it's far better than sitting at home, any day.
nsx, 1KChinito and BeachRat like this.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
No the Big Island (and Maui when it starts) have not required inter-island travelers to take the second test upon arrival.
The state still requires testing for interisland travel except for flights into Oahu.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 6:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by BlueZebra
Have you actually gone? We have been there twice since December. Its definitely not the standard trip, but it's far better than sitting at home, any day.
I lived in Hawaii for 4.5yrs so yes I've "gone." And this might blow your mind, but even during Covid there are more choices than "Hawaii or sit at home"

Regards
scottinaz likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Maui confirmed the airport testing will only happen at OGG...and that if you show a vaccination card, you don't need to take the airport test. It takes 15-20 minutes to get test results; if that's positive, they'll do a second test at the airport. If the 2nd test verifies the positive, you are put on the no fly list and need to quarantine at an approved location for 10 days at your expense. If the second test shows the first was a false positive, you are free to go.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 10:06 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Are you permitted to depart Hawaii within the quarantine period?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.