Maui 2nd COVID test at arrival at OGG [No Longer Required]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 30, 2021, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 1KChinito
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
Maui confirmed the airport testing will only happen at OGG...and that if you show a vaccination card, you don't need to take the airport test. It takes 15-20 minutes to get test results; if that's positive, they'll do a second test at the airport. If the 2nd test verifies the positive, you are put on the no fly list and need to quarantine at an approved location for 10 days at your expense. If the second test shows the first was a false positive, you are free to go.
https://www.mauicounty.gov/2393/Coro...portation-Rela
Print Wikipost

Maui 2nd COVID test at arrival at OGG [No Longer Required]

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2021, 10:09 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
We arrived at OGG today, and there was zero evidence of a second test.

We showed our wristbands, walked to baggage claim, and got our rental car. Not exactly sure what the story is here. Our arrival time was about 3:45 or so on AS825.
nnn likes this.
Old May 18, 2021, 1:23 am

Programs: UA, Some Others
Originally Posted by sullim4
We arrived at OGG today, and there was zero evidence of a second test.

We showed our wristbands, walked to baggage claim, and got our rental car. Not exactly sure what the story is here. Our arrival time was about 3:45 or so on AS825.
I picked up client today about 3:30. I got to OGG at 2:30 and parked and watched the station where the second test happens over by the taxi pickup area at the bottom of the escalator. They have it walled off with bike racks, and there are a handful of people looking like they may test someone. Nobody went through that gauntlet while I watched. And my client said what you said: "I showed my wristband and walked to baggage."

This whole thing is a bit of a mystery. Maybe they ran out of swabs. Whatever is going on, they aren't locating a lot of COVID. This whole thing is a boondoggle even by Maui standards.
nnn, LETTERBOY, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old May 18, 2021, 12:14 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by denver19
I picked up client today about 3:30. I got to OGG at 2:30 and parked and watched the station where the second test happens over by the taxi pickup area at the bottom of the escalator. They have it walled off with bike racks, and there are a handful of people looking like they may test someone. Nobody went through that gauntlet while I watched. And my client said what you said: "I showed my wristband and walked to baggage."

This whole thing is a bit of a mystery. Maybe they ran out of swabs. Whatever is going on, they aren't locating a lot of COVID. This whole thing is a boondoggle even by Maui standards.
Same thing happened to me at Kona. Got through screening and was directed to the right to Baggage Claim. Testing was to the left and there was a few people in line for it. I was never asked for my vaccine card, just got to skip it all together.
Old May 18, 2021, 12:44 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
Same thing happened to me at Kona. Got through screening and was directed to the right to Baggage Claim. Testing was to the left and there was a few people in line for it. I was never asked for my vaccine card, just got to skip it all together.
Perhaps they are doing random testing.
Old May 18, 2021, 12:48 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
Perhaps they are doing random testing.
If you set out to design a system to reduce tourism at minimal cost, random testing carrying a risk of spoiling an prepaid vacation would be an excellent choice. You could always claim that the consequences were unintended.
dhuey, LETTERBOY, denver19 and 1 others like this.
Old May 18, 2021, 1:23 pm

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
Arriving late at night was a cluster muck because we only had photos of our vaccination cards.

Bring your vaccination card to OGG to skip the line for the arrival swab test. You must show your PHYSICAL VACCINATION CARD. A photo of it on your phone was NOT acceptable to skip the arrival swab.

If you have an app that scans barcodes, you can fill out the information for the swab test on your phone. Note: they also have a paper form that is quicker to fill out than scanning a code and tapping in information.
Old May 18, 2021, 3:18 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by PaperGlider
Arriving late at night was a cluster muck because we only had photos of our vaccination cards.

Bring your vaccination card to OGG to skip the line for the arrival swab test. You must show your PHYSICAL VACCINATION CARD. A photo of it on your phone was NOT acceptable to skip the arrival swab.

If you have an app that scans barcodes, you can fill out the information for the swab test on your phone. Note: they also have a paper form that is quicker to fill out than scanning a code and tapping in information.
https://www.mauicounty.gov/2393/Coro...portation-Rela

Proof of vaccination means presenting your original CDC vaccination card or certificate of vaccination downloaded from the CDC’s Vaccination Administration Management System (VAMS).
nsx likes this.
Old May 18, 2021, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by PaperGlider

So: picture of your neg test to Safe Travels OKAY. Picture of your vax card: NOT OKAY. Sure, whatever...
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 18, 2021, 6:40 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by nsx
If you set out to design a system to reduce tourism at minimal cost, random testing carrying a risk of spoiling an prepaid vacation would be an excellent choice. You could always claim that the consequences were unintended.
Ironically the latest extension to the Big Island post arrival testing (it was supposed to end on May 11th with the county having run out of funding for it) was paid for by various tourism industry’s to extend it.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 18, 2021, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
So: picture of your neg test to Safe Travels OKAY. Picture of your vax card: NOT OKAY. Sure, whatever...
The negative test comes with the Hawaii government symbol from a known vendor...so a couple of checks there. The CDC card has to be copied (the test results don't) to be inserted into the Safe Travels website. You still need your travel approval to be verified, either at your departing airport, or when you land. Yes, it would be nice if verifying your CDC card at your departing airport would get you through faster in Hawaii.
Old May 18, 2021, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by BlueZebra
The negative test comes with the Hawaii government symbol from a known vendor...so a couple of checks there. The CDC card has to be copied (the test results don't) to be inserted into the Safe Travels website. You still need your travel approval to be verified, either at your departing airport, or when you land. Yes, it would be nice if verifying your CDC card at your departing airport would get you through faster in Hawaii.
So, I have been through OGG 4 times since the "shutdown". Once, before safetravels, I had to quarantine! Each time it is a little different. However, this latest twist, the arrival test, in the age of vaccination, and declining numbers everywhere including Maui, is ridiculous.
And, as we hear, its very "hit or miss" regarding getting tested at all. Often, they just wave you through. So it's really only the threat of a second test. Tested travelers just aren't really bringing COVID to Maui. They have found 1 (one) positive of more than 20,000 tests since inception. How this second test decision came to be I do not know, but it is proving to be as wasteful as it promised to be at rollout. And the fact that some docs can be uploaded and some cannot is just another feature of this circus.
Old May 18, 2021, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
Except for one thing: reduced tourism isn't happening.

Just let this thing play out, already peoples worst fears about this entire thing have not been realized no matter which side of it you are on.

-David
ExpatExp and BeachRat like this.
Old May 18, 2021, 11:36 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Except for one thing: reduced tourism isn't happening.

Just let this thing play out, already peoples worst fears about this entire thing have not been realized no matter which side of it you are on.

-David
True, but why increase anxiety with no purpose?
LETTERBOY, wrp96 and denver19 like this.
Old May 19, 2021, 7:47 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Global Entry, Avis President's Club
And, as we hear, its very "hit or miss" regarding getting tested at all. Often, they just wave you through. So it's really only the threat of a second test. Tested travelers just aren't really bringing COVID to Maui. They have found 1 (one) positive of more than 20,000 tests since inception. How this second test decision came to be I do not know, but it is proving to be as wasteful as it promised to be at rollout. And the fact that some docs can be uploaded and some cannot is just another feature of this circus.
And at $25 per test, that is $500,000 in our taxpayer money spent to identify that one single individual.
LETTERBOY and denver19 like this.
Old May 19, 2021, 10:21 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Arrived OGG yesterday afternoon. We came into Gate 7 which surprised me. We had United wristbands for preclearance and there was no secondary test. All told 30 minutes from landing to leaving the airport in our rental car with our checked baggage. Smooth as could be. I don't think I have done it faster in our many trips to Maui. This was our to the island since the pandemic started.
IntlSalesGuy and denver19 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.