FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hawaii (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii-435/)
-   -   Maui 2nd COVID test at arrival at OGG [No Longer Required] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2037496-maui-2nd-covid-test-arrival-ogg-no-longer-required.html)

Weatherboy Apr 8, 2021 12:15 am

Maui 2nd COVID test at arrival at OGG [No Longer Required]

Governor Ige just blessed Maui's plan to have a mandatory COVID test at OGG for all trans-pacific arrivals regardless of vaccine status or whether or not you participate in the 72 hour pre-travel testing program.

Anyone who opts out of the test or fails it will be subject to 10 day quarantine at their expense at an approved quaratine facility on the island.

This 2nd test is being paid for by Maui county.

And like the Big Island program, the test results can't be used for interisland travel requirments of avoiding quarantine after interisland travel.

The new testing routine will begin on/around April 17.

The Mayor warns because a lot ot the trans-Pacific flights arrive around the same time, he expects lines to be very long until they get into the rythm of things.

josephstern Apr 8, 2021 3:19 am

There’s a little more info here:

https://mauinow.com/2021/04/07/break...cific-flights/

Sounds like they’ll look at the results and reevaluate the situation.

mtofell Apr 8, 2021 8:24 am

Ah great.... standing in long lines next to strangers all in the name of not getting sick by standing with strangers.

braddqq Apr 8, 2021 9:03 am

so freaking ridiculous. and I'm a bleeding heart liberal

josephstern Apr 8, 2021 9:17 am

Originally Posted by mtofell (Post 33162025)
Ah great.... standing in long lines next to strangers all in the name of not getting sick by standing with strangers.

Hopefully they'll figure out fresh-air waiting areas to both reduce transmission and . . . give travelers some of that great Maui air!

MCO Flyer Apr 8, 2021 9:26 am

Ironically this comes at the same time KOA (Big Island) is cutting back on the post-arrival test.

hawaii-bound Apr 8, 2021 11:03 am

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer (Post 33162203)
Ironically this comes at the same time KOA (Big Island) is cutting back on the post-arrival test.

The reason for the cutback is funding. The current supply of tests will be expiring soon.

Doppy Apr 8, 2021 12:54 pm

Interesting they're putting this into effect at this stage in the game. Have they found a link between the recent surge and travel?

nsx Apr 8, 2021 1:26 pm

I predict a revision before it starts. Otherwise I could fly from California to HNL, claim my bags, then catch an interisland flight to Maui, all with one test at 72 hours before the interisland flight. The plane change would also allow me to miss the noon crush of nonstop arrivals at OGG.

MCO Flyer Apr 8, 2021 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by nsx (Post 33162960)
I predict a revision before it starts. Otherwise I could fly from California to HNL, claim my bags, then catch an interisland flight to Maui, all with one test at 72 hours before the interisland flight. The plane change would also allow me to miss the noon crush of nonstop arrivals at OGG.

I highly doubt this would get you out of the post-arrival test as they scan your QR code upon arrival to OGG and would likely see that you had a layover in HNL from the mainland so they’d probably still test you. KOA has had a post-arrival test for months now so it would be interesting to hear experiences for those coming from the mainland with a connection in HNL on how the post-arrival test works at KOA.

darkrider Apr 8, 2021 2:01 pm

I am supposed to connect from the mainland in HNL. So supposedly my one test prior to the HNL flight should be good for the safe travels program. It will be impossible to ensure that I get a test within 72hrs of the Maui departure, which didn't matter because of the prior rules. I imagine since I'm using the safe travels test to get in I would be flagged for an arrival test. I think I will need to reconsider Maui with this...

UAPremierGuy Apr 8, 2021 2:12 pm

What a disaster. Looks like I should change my already booked May trip to Maui to Kauai.

Weatherboy Apr 8, 2021 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by nsx (Post 33162960)

You would still need a 2nd test at OGG.

Weatherboy Apr 8, 2021 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by darkrider (Post 33163081)
I am supposed to connect from the mainland in HNL. So supposedly my one test prior to the HNL flight should be good for the safe travels program. It will be impossible to ensure that I get a test within 72hrs of the Maui departure, which didn't matter because of the prior rules. I imagine since I'm using the safe travels test to get in I would be flagged for an arrival test. I think I will need to reconsider Maui with this...

Nothing has changed with the 72hr test. The only thing new is you will be tested again for free upon arrival at OGG. If you fail it, your 72 test results become moot.

scottinaz Apr 8, 2021 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by Weatherboy (Post 33163860)
Nothing has changed with the 72hr test. The only thing new is you will be tested again for free upon arrival at OGG. If you fail it, your 72 test results become moot.

Have these people completely lost their minds. So I have been fully vaccinated but I still need to get a test 72 hours before arrival and then again on arrival in OGG. I can't figure out if they are insane, totally incompetent or if they really don't want anyone to come to their island.