Maui 2nd COVID test at arrival at OGG [No Longer Required]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 30, 2021, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 1KChinito
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
Maui confirmed the airport testing will only happen at OGG...and that if you show a vaccination card, you don't need to take the airport test. It takes 15-20 minutes to get test results; if that's positive, they'll do a second test at the airport. If the 2nd test verifies the positive, you are put on the no fly list and need to quarantine at an approved location for 10 days at your expense. If the second test shows the first was a false positive, you are free to go.
https://www.mauicounty.gov/2393/Coro...portation-Rela
Print Wikipost

Maui 2nd COVID test at arrival at OGG [No Longer Required]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2021, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
Good news is the post arrival testing on the big island is going away May 1st.
and then starting at OGG on May the Force? :-)
Old Apr 23, 2021, 6:53 am

Programs: AA Concierge Key, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diam
Originally Posted by gaobest
and then starting at OGG on May the Force? :-)
What do you mean "...on May the Force?" It is starting May but what is the reference to Force about?
Old Apr 23, 2021, 7:36 am
Original Member

Programs: HHonors Diamond
probably a reference to star wars day, may the 4th
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canuckshark
What do you mean "...on May the Force?" It is starting May but what is the reference to Force about?
sorry - it’s pop subculture humor for May 4. Sorry my friend!

any I’ll just iterate that these tests do scare me, because of knowing someone who had a false positive at the big island. I’d really prefer to not spend 10k for vacation and have to deal with this. I could use that 10k on 2-3 smaller vacations closer to home (California).
Old Apr 25, 2021, 1:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
sorry - it’s pop subculture humor for May 4. Sorry my friend!

any I’ll just iterate that these tests do scare me, because of knowing someone who had a false positive at the big island. I’d really prefer to not spend 10k for vacation and have to deal with this. I could use that 10k on 2-3 smaller vacations closer to home (California).
Seems like a very small risk of a false positive for my fully-vaccinated family of four, but I'm not gonna run that risk. It would blow the whole trip, and we'd have no recourse.
LETTERBOY, wrp96 and tromer like this.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dhuey
Seems like a very small risk of a false positive for my fully-vaccinated family of four, but I'm not gonna run that risk. It would blow the whole trip, and we'd have no recourse.
this. Low chance yet it really hurts the vacation. When I spend anything for vacation, I also have an expectation of zero unnecessary and unexpected annoyances. Traffic and annoying humans are to be expected. A false positive is unexpected. It ducks the mojo for everyone. So I respect Hawaii and I’ll give them their space. We can just stay home, watch new movies, and have food delivery or Hawaii-inspired meals at restaurants. And I really love maui.
I already was unhappy about this airport test and actually knowing someone who had a false positive makes me more leery. I don’t know if my attitude would be less negative if my friend didn’t experience this situation. Obviously knowing that there are plane accidents has never stopped me from flying :-)
Old Apr 25, 2021, 4:10 pm

this. Low chance yet it really hurts the vacation. When I spend anything for vacation, I also have an expectation of zero unnecessary and unexpected annoyances. Traffic and annoying humans are to be expected. A false positive is unexpected. It ducks the mojo for everyone. So I respect Hawaii and I’ll give them their space. We can just stay home, watch new movies, and have food delivery or Hawaii-inspired meals at restaurants. And I really love maui.
I already was unhappy about this airport test and actually knowing someone who had a false positive makes me more leery. I don’t know if my attitude would be less negative if my friend didn’t experience this situation. Obviously knowing that there are plane accidents has never stopped me from flying :-)

Can you tell us what happened with the person that was false positive? Did they get to retest or did they automatically go into quarantine? any detail would really help me decide if this trip is now even worth the hassle. Thanks
Old Apr 25, 2021, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by shadowlines
Can you tell us what happened with the person that was false positive? Did they get to retest or did they automatically go into quarantine? any detail would really help me decide if this trip is now even worth the hassle. Thanks
Anybody that gets a positive from the airport antigen test gets notified and retested and they get the PCR test results back within 24 hours.

I'm also interested in what happened to raobest's friend.

-David
Old Apr 25, 2021, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Anybody that gets a positive from the airport antigen test gets notified and retested and they get the PCR test results back within 24 hours.
-David
Any idea what happens to / is required of someone while they wait the 24 hours for the PCR (re)test to come back?
Old Apr 25, 2021, 9:19 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)

I'm also interested in what happened to raobest's friend.

-David
He posted earlier in this thread. The friend was re-tested and was negative. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33198016-post89.html
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 9:37 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Finkface
He posted earlier in this thread. The friend was re-tested and was negative. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33198016-post89.html
But what happens logistically while waiting for results for retest?
Old Apr 25, 2021, 11:32 pm

Does Lanai require a secondary test? I've only seen references to OGG.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shadowlines
It might be ymmv. It’s self-imposed quarantine. It’s entirely possible that the quarantine was less strict than the protocol that is published.
Anybody that gets a positive from the airport antigen test gets notified and retested and they get the PCR test results back within 24 hours...
They got the call while heading to rental cars. The friend returned to take that 24-hr test and was still able to go into rental car with their family.
Originally Posted by BeachRat
Any idea what happens to / is required of someone while they wait the 24 hours for the PCR (re)test to come back?
Physically they were fine. Mentally they were a mix of calm & stress.
Originally Posted by Finkface
This.
Originally Posted by seawolf
But what happens logistically while waiting for results for retest?
They spent that 24-hr period with their family. They were in the rental car together. The family shopped groceries while my friend waited in the car. They had an abnb lodging and all stayed within the lodging for that 24 hours.
It is possible that another airport staffer would have subjected my friend to a stricter quarantine situation. I know that someone at the airport mentioned the “94%” statistic to my friend - the statistic that 94% of the 24-hr tests are negative... so while not knowing the percentage of positive tests from that rapid test, I heard the anecdote that only 6% are true positive.

we can reread how this quarantine occurred with the positive test; either it’s ymmv or everyone gets a self-imposed quarantine treatment where they’re in a car with their family and their family can stop to fetch groceries.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, Marriott Tit
Originally Posted by canuckshark
Holy crap! Selfishly this is amazing for me as I am booked to arrive on May 2nd. Glad I didn't cancel the trip a week back.
Hee hee - our flight to OGG is May 3rd. So glad testing start was delayed. Mostly posting to track thread, not to gloat.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by denverhockeyguy
Does Lanai require a secondary test? I've only seen references to OGG.
For now, the Mayor has only mentioned OGG and not the other airports that fly into his islands in the county. For a program that is rolling out in days, details are still light.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.