Maui 2nd COVID test at arrival at OGG [No Longer Required]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 30, 2021, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 1KChinito
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
Maui confirmed the airport testing will only happen at OGG...and that if you show a vaccination card, you don't need to take the airport test. It takes 15-20 minutes to get test results; if that's positive, they'll do a second test at the airport. If the 2nd test verifies the positive, you are put on the no fly list and need to quarantine at an approved location for 10 days at your expense. If the second test shows the first was a false positive, you are free to go.
https://www.mauicounty.gov/2393/Coro...portation-Rela
Print Wikipost

Maui 2nd COVID test at arrival at OGG [No Longer Required]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2021, 11:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
The Big Island 2nd test exemption for vaccinated passengers only last through April 30th so Maui won’t have to worry about inconsistent messaging for long.
It will because Maui will have a second test while Hawaii has none and Kauai has a strongly optional 2nd volunteer test.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 5:39 am

Programs: AA Concierge Key, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diam
It will because Maui will have a second test while Hawaii has none and Kauai has a strongly optional 2nd volunteer test.
Is the 2nd test at arrival time still not an announced policy? I have a trip with my daughter planned for May 2nd and cannot risk a 2nd test. She is autistic and has really struggled the past year and this trip was suppose to alleviate some of her stress and help with mental well being.

I can go up to 48 hours before departure to cancel my hotel without penalty so still holding out a sliver of hope.

Thank you Weatherboy for the information you provide.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 6:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canuckshark
Is the 2nd test at arrival time still not an announced policy? I have a trip with my daughter planned for May 2nd and cannot risk a 2nd test. She is autistic and has really struggled the past year and this trip was suppose to alleviate some of her stress and help with mental well being.

I can go up to 48 hours before departure to cancel my hotel without penalty so still holding out a sliver of hope.

Thank you Weatherboy for the information you provide.
Hopefully some news will come out this week with more details; I would assume whatever the program is would be rolled out by your arrival.

The only peep the county made in recent days is that people won't need to wait for test results at the airport, which is how Hawaii Island last did theirs.

If you want to avoid the second test, head to Hawaii or Oahu instead.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
this is hard to keep track of as a viewer! Thanks for the updates.

Hotels are slow to re-hire and employees are slow to return; people have become hooked sitting at home on PUA checks, so it's a perfect storm in the hospitality sector. On Maui and Hawaii Island, numbers for the first 2 weeks of April were shockingly high and greater than pre-COVID numbers. But the hotels have also said they are having a very hard time forecast actual visitors even with reservation data: one resort GM told me with changeable/cancelable air and room rates, they can't get a handle on who will actually show until they do. And they're unable to over-sell the resort due to COVID capacity constraints, so they're in a tough spot. But they're appreciative of the high volumes that did show up for Spring Break.

As far as the second airport test, there's rumblings it will roll out around April 26, but nothing confirmed/published from the Mayor's office yet. The Governor is supposed to issue new tweaks to the Safe Travels program this week, so it wouldn't surprise me if Maui was waiting (or the governor asked Maui to wait) to say anything until those changes are made public. The communication waters got muddied when Hawaii Island announced presenting a vaccine card gets you out of airport testing there last week and we're back again to inconsistent testing and more importantly, messaging, through the island.
Yikes about the staffing. I understand the challenges with last minute cancellation. That’s really hard for staffing. Ugh. I feel that it would add stress for the average traveler who I guess just tolerates it because they’re in Hawaii.
I definitely thought the OGG airport test started 4/17 so good to know it’s been delayed, if not eventually eliminated.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Update: Maui County Mayor announced today he's planning to roll-out this secondary test on Tuesday, May 4.
Tussis likes this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 21, 2021 at 4:35 pm Reason: please request maintenance via the "Alert Moderator to This Post Function" thanks
Old Apr 20, 2021, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diam
Holy crap! Selfishly this is amazing for me as I am booked to arrive on May 2nd. Glad I didn't cancel the trip a week back.
Weatherboy and mtofell like this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 21, 2021 at 4:36 pm Reason: removed quote
Old Apr 20, 2021, 10:09 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by canuckshark
Holy crap! Selfishly this is amazing for me as I am booked to arrive on May 2nd. Glad I didn't cancel the trip a week back.
I'm right there with you.... I arrive home (to Maui) on 4/29!! The next time I come/go I will be fully vaccinated and am hoping the passport thing is worked out by then. I can tell you from past experience that OGG is not a great airport to herd a lot of people through. Pre-wristband program the lines could be 2+ hours to get through.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 10:47 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Are they going to allow vaccinated travelers the option to avoid the second test? None of the news articles that came out today seem to clarify this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 21, 2021 at 4:36 pm Reason: removed quote
Old Apr 20, 2021, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
Are they going to allow vaccinated travelers the option to avoid the second test? None of the news articles that came out today seem to clarify this.
Not currently.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 12:42 am

Maui does seem to be on a nice downturn in cases over the last couple weeks. I'm wondering if this trend continues if they'll scrap the 2nd test program? It seems like the spike that prompted the 2nd test has turned for the better. Am I being too optimistic in thinking the extension is really to give some time to monitor?
denver19 likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 5:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mtofell
Maui does seem to be on a nice downturn in cases over the last couple weeks. I'm wondering if this trend continues if they'll scrap the 2nd test program? It seems like the spike that prompted the 2nd test has turned for the better. Am I being too optimistic in thinking the extension is really to give some time to monitor?
The Mayor made it pretty clear yesterday that they need to do this test to collect data to verify hypothesis about community spread. And the governor is also supportive of the move. The additional time is more about logistics in contracting a testing partner moreso than anything else.
nsx and mtofell like this.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 10:40 am

The Mayor made it pretty clear yesterday that they need to do this test to collect data to verify hypothesis about community spread.
Seems like the big island's program should have given them a good amount. Unless for some reason they expect Maui to be different.
seawolf, LETTERBOY and denver19 like this.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Seems like the big island's program should have given them a good amount. Unless for some reason they expect Maui to be different.
Would help if they summarized their data collection or even published the data set...

David
writerguyfl and mtofell like this.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
my friend had a positive on big island (Kona??) with the rapid test. only the friend and not the spouse or child.
They then took the test which is analyzed on Oahu and a day later, they learned that it was a false positive. They were told that of the positive results from rapid test, 94% generate a negative result on the overnighted test.
I still say what a lousy way to start the vacation. I continue to respect the rules while not flying somewhere that has rules that I prefer to avoid :-)
mtofell likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 4:09 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by gaobest
my friend had a positive on big island (Kona??) with the rapid test. only the friend and not the spouse or child.
They then took the test which is analyzed on Oahu and a day later, they learned that it was a false positive. They were told that of the positive results from rapid test, 94% generate a negative result on the overnighted test.
I still say what a lousy way to start the vacation. I continue to respect the rules while not flying somewhere that has rules that I prefer to avoid :-)
Good news is the post arrival testing on the big island is going away May 1st.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.