Maui 2nd COVID test at arrival at OGG [No Longer Required]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 30, 2021, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 1KChinito
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
Maui confirmed the airport testing will only happen at OGG...and that if you show a vaccination card, you don't need to take the airport test. It takes 15-20 minutes to get test results; if that's positive, they'll do a second test at the airport. If the 2nd test verifies the positive, you are put on the no fly list and need to quarantine at an approved location for 10 days at your expense. If the second test shows the first was a false positive, you are free to go.
https://www.mauicounty.gov/2393/Coro...portation-Rela
Print Wikipost

Maui 2nd COVID test at arrival at OGG [No Longer Required]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2021, 11:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by scottinaz
Have these people completely lost their minds. So I have been fully vaccinated but I still need to get a test 72 hours before arrival and then again on arrival in OGG. I can't figure out if they are insane, totally incompetent or if they really don't want anyone to come to their island.
Until there's a way to authenticate vaccinations and/or herd immunity otherwise occurs, I don't think there's too much practical they can do with increasing positivity/cases on their island. Hopefully they'll get some good data and move on.
josephstern and dlaue like this.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Hopefully they'll get some good data and move on.
Given how effective they've been at keeping people isolated while standing in line at OGG, I unfortunately doubt it.

David
LETTERBOY, denver19 and mtofell like this.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 11:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Until there's a way to authenticate vaccinations and/or herd immunity otherwise occurs, I don't think there's too much practical they can do with increasing positivity/cases on their island. Hopefully they'll get some good data and move on.
I certainly hope so. I haven't been looking real closely at sources, but it seems like local spread has remained fairly constant as well. Ah well... collect data it is.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 9:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Completely nonsensical - especially for those who have been fully vaccinated and already have a negative COVID test (some taken an hour before boarding their nonstop flight to Maui).

-FlyerBeek
Old Apr 9, 2021, 10:17 am

Programs: AA Million Miler, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, Global Entry
So, let's think about this. Who exactly are they thinking they will detect? Someone who tested negative with an extremely accurate test in the last three days is going to test positive with a test which has a high false positive rate? They are more likely to get a false positive and ruin a vacation for no reason than they are to detect an actual infected person.
According to the FDA from 30% to 70% of positive immediate result tests can be false positives whereas the molecular tests have well under 1% false positive. So the FDA recommends if you test positive with an immediate result test that you get a molecular test. But everyone coming to Hawaii has already gotten a molecular test and tested negative. That is why this is crazy, the data you get will be garbage.
nsx, FlyerBeek, nnn and 4 others like this.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 10:41 am

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Completely nonsensical - especially for those who have been fully vaccinated and already have a negative COVID test (some taken an hour before boarding their nonstop flight to Maui).

-FlyerBeek
I had just booked a trip over for 1 night later this month for a biz meeting (fully vaccinated here) and the idea of my mainland test then test upon landing and the possibility of a false positive just made me cancel ...too much
Old Apr 9, 2021, 12:28 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
I can't figure out if they are insane, totally incompetent or if they really don't want anyone to come to their island.
Maybe it's all three.
nnn, Whiskarina, SFO777 and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 5:29 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
You would still need a 2nd test at OGG.
According to the Maui Mayors press conference, it sounds like this will be different than KOA does it and they will only test those coming directly from the mainland into OGG. Based on this, it sounds like an HNL connection first could indeed get you out of the second test upon arrival into OGG.

So, let's think about this. Who exactly are they thinking they will detect? Someone who tested negative with an extremely accurate test in the last three days is going to test positive with a test which has a high false positive rate? They are more likely to get a false positive and ruin a vacation for no reason than they are to detect an actual infected person.
According to the FDA from 30% to 70% of positive immediate result tests can be false positives whereas the molecular tests have well under 1% false positive. So the FDA recommends if you test positive with an immediate result test that you get a molecular test. But everyone coming to Hawaii has already gotten a molecular test and tested negative. That is why this is crazy, the data you get will be garbage.
They’ve been doing a mandatory test upon arrival into KOA sine October and have only detected ~200 positive tests out of 200,000, although I’d assume those positive #s are from those confirmed with the second lab based test they give you if you test positive on the first antigen test at the airport. It would be interesting to hear how many of the first antigen test are coming back positive, but the follow up lab-based test is negative.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
They’ve been doing a mandatory test upon arrival into KOA sine October and have only detected ~200 positive tests out of 200,000, although I’d assume those positive #s are from those confirmed with the second lab based test they give you if you test positive on the first antigen test at the airport. It would be interesting to hear how many of the first antigen test are coming back positive, but the follow up lab-based test is negative.
Very good points. I’m curious what Maui’s plan is for the numerous false positives that will arise on a daily basis given the number of passengers who will be subjected to this unnecessary and less accurate testing. Will Maui be paying for - and honoring - the results of an additional molecular test? In some cases, this will be the 3rd COVID test within 24hrs for a COVID-negative and fully vaccinated traveler. Complete lunacy.

-FlyerBeek
Old Apr 9, 2021, 8:47 pm

I hope Kauai doesn't get this idea anytime soon.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 8:48 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Very good points. I’m curious what Maui’s plan is for the numerous false positives that will arise on a daily basis given the number of passengers who will be subjected to this unnecessary and less accurate testing. Will Maui be paying for - and honoring - the results of an additional molecular test? In some cases, this will be the 3rd COVID test within 24hrs for a COVID-negative and fully vaccinated traveler. Complete lunacy.

-FlyerBeek
Visitor has the option of not vacationing on Maui. We know some friends end up visiting Oahu instead of Maui even before this upcoming new requirement.

Originally Posted by Taikucing
I hope Kauai doesn't get this idea anytime soon.
Kauai is taking a different approach to secondary testing for inbound travelers. Hawaii's Garden Island recently launched a travel discount program that it hopes will encourage visitors to take an additional COVID-19 test while boosting local businesses. Travelers who take an additional test in Kauai will receive the Kokua Kauai Card, which uses a QR code to provide discounts at dozens of hotels, restaurants, and more on the island.

https://www.travelandleisure.com/tra...%20the%20state.
LIH Prem likes this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 10, 2021 at 4:21 am Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Apr 9, 2021, 9:34 pm

So, let's think about this. Who exactly are they thinking they will detect? Someone who tested negative with an extremely accurate test in the last three days is going to test positive with a test which has a high false positive rate?
They've always known and still know that a small percentage of true positives will get through the safe travels program. Because a 72-hour pre-departure test doesn't prove you don't have it. It shows you probably don't have it and therein lies the problem ... a secondary test will give them more info and they can decide to keep it if warranted or get rid of it later after they have more data.

I don't know which test they will give at the airport, probably a rapid antigen test, and if that's the case, if you test positive you'd have to confirm or refute the antigen test results with a PCR test.

Most visitors won't care about this, but positivity rate is high on Maui, and despite low COVID-19 case loads in the one hospital, that rate has been rising over the last month or two.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Apr 9, 2021 at 9:44 pm
Old Apr 9, 2021, 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
They've always known and still know that a small percentage of true positives will get through the safe travels program. Because a 72-hour pre-departure test doesn't prove you don't have it. It shows you probably don't have it and therein lies the problem ... a secondary test will give them more info and they can decide to keep it if warranted or get rid of it later after they have more data.

I don't know which test they will give at the airport, probably a rapid antigen test, and if that's the case, if you test positive you'd have to confirm or refute the antigen test results with a PCR test.

Most visitors won't care about this, but positivity rate is high on Maui, and despite low COVID-19 case loads in the one hospital, that rate has been rising over the last month or two.

-David
My guess is that everyone who gets a false positive will care.

Originally Posted by LIH Prem

-David
So let me understand how this will work. I get a negative test before I leave but test positive at the airport so my only option is to quarantine. I am not allowed to rent a car, my hotel makes sure I do not leave my room but I am supposed to get a third test on my own and somehow get this to some authority in HI to lift my quarantine. Is this really how this is going to work?
JNelson113, LETTERBOY and denver19 like this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 10, 2021 at 4:22 am Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Apr 9, 2021, 11:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
So let me understand how this will work. I get a negative test before I leave but test positive at the airport so my only option is to quarantine. I am not allowed to rent a car, my hotel makes sure I do not leave my room but I am supposed to get a third test on my own and somehow get this to some authority in HI to lift my quarantine. Is this really how this is going to work?
If you flunk the rapid test provided by the island, they'll issue you a PCR test that could take up to 24 hours to get results. Like the initial airport test, the follow-up test is paid for by the county. But you would need to stay in quarantine until that second airport test clears you. Not every hotel in Hawaii accepts COVID guests and timeshares and AirBNBs/VRBOs are not permitted to house quarantine guests, so you may need to stay someplace else for that first day/night if you do test positive. When/if the secondary PCR test comes back negative, you're free to go about.

The process was bumpy at the start of KOA but it's a well oiled machine now. Made easier by the fact they don't make you wait around for the airport test results; they only call you back if you're positive. Yes, there are false positives...perhaps a thousand from which less than 200 verified as positive, but it has kept that many positives from mingling with the population.

I have a friend who flew into KOA with a negative pre-travel test but tested positive at the airport (and tested positive again with the secondary test) --she had no symptoms until the following day and she's been pretty sick since. But if she hadn't been stopped by the airport test, there is easily 10-20+ people she could have infected during her first day back at KOA.
mikew99 likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 12:37 pm

If you flunk the rapid test provided by the island, they'll issue you a PCR test that could take up to 24 hours to get results. Like the initial airport test, the follow-up test is paid for by the county. But you would need to stay in quarantine until that second airport test clears you. Not every hotel in Hawaii accepts COVID guests and timeshares and AirBNBs/VRBOs are not permitted to house quarantine guests, so you may need to stay someplace else for that first day/night if you do test positive. When/if the secondary PCR test comes back negative, you're free to go about.

The process was bumpy at the start of KOA but it's a well oiled machine now. Made easier by the fact they don't make you wait around for the airport test results; they only call you back if you're positive. Yes, there are false positives...perhaps a thousand from which less than 200 verified as positive, but it has kept that many positives from mingling with the population.

I have a friend who flew into KOA with a negative pre-travel test but tested positive at the airport (and tested positive again with the secondary test) --she had no symptoms until the following day and she's been pretty sick since. But if she hadn't been stopped by the airport test, there is easily 10-20+ people she could have infected during her first day back at KOA.
I am amazed you seem to be justifying this ridiculous process. By your own numbers 80% of the positive tests at the airport are false positives. So 80% of the people who test positive are going to have their vacations ruined for no reason. As for your friend unless the immediately put them in quarantine they had already come into contact with dozens of people on the plane and in the airport. Then once they tested positive they have to go someplace, I assume they do not lock them in a closet at the airport. So wherever they go they come into contact with other people. I understand this is a dangerous virus and everyone ;must take precautions. But this type of screening is over the top and will provide no benefit to the residents or visitors of HI.
My guess is once this becomes public the number of visitors to Maui will plummet and rightfully so.
JNelson113, LETTERBOY and denver19 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.