Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 8, 2020, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: slippahs
//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator

Print Wikipost

When will Hawaii re-open for tourism?

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2020, 6:55 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
I'm sure people would rather "quarantine" in a condo as a "new resident" than as a tourist under the watchful eye of hotel staff and be confined to their rooms for 2 weeks.
The order requires confinement to quarters, whether a room or condo. Some violators are being arrested. Some shipped back rather than enduring jail.
Old May 10, 2020, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA GS, Delta Plat, Hawaiian Gold, Hertz Plat
Originally Posted by 747FC
The order requires confinement to quarters, whether a room or condo. Some violators are being arrested. Some shipped back rather than enduring jail.
I think there’s some debate about allowed usage of common areas at condos vs hotels. Ko Olina beach villas visitors were using the pools upon arrival and created a stir, not sure how that was resolved.
Old May 10, 2020, 7:16 pm
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
Originally Posted by mtofell
It will interesting to see if/when they differentiate residents from tourists as it relates to the 14-day quarantine. I live here much of the time and own property but still maintain my driver's license in my mainland state. Wondering if proof of property ownership would do? I imagine this stuff is still largely in the works and only time will tell.
Are they asking for proof of residence when you arrive (not just proof of where you will stay, and not directed at you, just in general)? You could just 'lose' your drivers license and use your passport as ID when you travel, and 'find' it when you unpack after you arrive. Or just not bring it if you aren't going to drive. Or mail it to yourself in Hawaii before you leave.

Residence is a bit strange to define in the US as there's no mandatory ID or government registry. Some people don't have a drivers licence or state ID card, and others just keep their old out-of-state licences when they move even though they aren't supposed to. And 'official' addresses on ID cards, tax returns, voter registration and other documents don't have to match each other.
Old May 10, 2020, 7:29 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Duplicate post

Last edited by Finkface; May 10, 2020 at 7:44 pm
Old May 10, 2020, 7:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by mtofell
I still think the governor is over-estimating the amount of tourist traffic once the quarantine is lifted. I arrived 3 days prior to the quarantine expecting to be accompanied by others trying to sneak in under the wire..... wow, was I wrong. The plane had 14 people on it.
I'll bet you're right. Even if every governmental restriction in the nation were removed tomorrow, I think there would still be a very large part of the populace that wouldn't consider of any sort of leisure travel for several months at least. Beyond the health concerns are very serious financial worries for so many people. A Hawaiian holiday would seem more like a sick joke than a serious idea.
ExpatExp and mtofell like this.
Old May 10, 2020, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
FYI/FWIW, Saturday's data for arrivals into the State of Hawaii - from BIVN:

Yesterday, 857 people arrived in Hawaii including 255 visitors and 334 residents. During this same time last year, nearly 30,000 passengers arrived in Hawaii daily, including residents and visitors. The state’s mandatory 14-day self-quarantine started on March 26th for all passengers arriving in Hawaii from out of state. The quarantine order was expanded on April 1st to include interisland travelers. This table shows the number of people who arrived by air from out of state yesterday and does not include interisland travel.

where:

Crew = flight crew members
Intended Resident = people who are moving to Hawaii such as military members and their families, and former residents who intend to live in Hawaii
Resident = people who have a Hawaii ID
Transit = people who are in transit to another location through Hawaii and aren’t leaving the airport
Visitor = people who do not have a Hawaii ID including essential health care workers, essential federal workers, former residents such as mainland college students coming to stay with family, military on temporary assignment, and leisure travelers

Majority of the people who flew to Hawaii yesterday arrived on Oahu. The following tables show what the Oahu visitors indicated as the purpose of their trip and their type of accommodation, and they can choose more than one. This data was collected from the HTA survey on the back of the Hawaii Agriculture Declaration Form. People are not mandated by law to fill out the survey so some are left blank.

David
Old May 10, 2020, 8:29 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by bpe
Are they asking for proof of residence when you arrive (not just proof of where you will stay, and not directed at you, just in general)? You could just 'lose' your drivers license and use your passport as ID when you travel, and 'find' it when you unpack after you arrive. Or just not bring it if you aren't going to drive. Or mail it to yourself in Hawaii before you leave.

Residence is a bit strange to define in the US as there's no mandatory ID or government registry. Some people don't have a drivers licence or state ID card, and others just keep their old out-of-state licences when they move even though they aren't supposed to. And 'official' addresses on ID cards, tax returns, voter registration and other documents don't have to match each other.
I arrived pre-quarantine so I didn't have to produce anything. From what I've read locally here, enforcing the quarantine has been poorly executed from the start. I believe they are currently requiring ID and proof of where you'll be staying for the 14 days (a loophole some people were trying was to make a reservation for 1 night and then leave). One thing they changed was actually testing the phone number you provide to be sure it's accurate so they can check on you (the fact that it's a cell phone apparently didn't occur to them).

The people I've read about getting busted really have been brazen and dumb about it. I'm pretty sure someone could slide in to a private rental and do as they please without getting caught. A lot of the enforcement is put onto the hotel owners, etc. (if there are actually any that are opened).
bpe likes this.
Old May 10, 2020, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by HawaiiSailor
I think there’s some debate about allowed usage of common areas at condos vs hotels. Ko Olina beach villas visitors were using the pools upon arrival and created a stir, not sure how that was resolved.
There is no debate, unless one wants to avoid following the directive. No one is allowed out of their quarters. In fact, the government is trying to get hotels to program card keys to allow one-time entry into rooms.

ETA: https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/0...ce-quarantine/

Last edited by 747FC; May 10, 2020 at 10:48 pm Reason: provided article link
Old May 10, 2020, 10:42 pm

Programs: UA GS, Delta Plat, Hawaiian Gold, Hertz Plat
Originally Posted by 747FC
There is no debate, unless one wants to avoid following the directive. No one is allowed out of their quarters. In fact, the government is trying to get hotels to program card keys to allow one-time entry into rooms.
A month ago, hopefully this has been settled. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.haw...outputType=amp
Old May 10, 2020, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by HawaiiSailor
A month ago, hopefully this has been settled. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.haw...outputType=amp
Don't follow you.

Here is the key card access article:

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/0...ce-quarantine/
Old May 11, 2020, 12:07 pm
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bpe

Sorry, that won't work with the procedures after deplaning into HNL.

If you are a Hawaii resident, the place of quarantine should match your driver license, and they check for this. There are two Sheriff officers on the spot that will enforce any non-compliance or irregular issues. If you are a visitor, they will make sure you have a return ticket back home, and check on your hotel reservation by calling the hotel. All phone numbers will be verified on the spot. Both residents and visitors will get a phone call sometime after arrival.

If information don't match, or there are issues, expect to be on the next return flight.
FlyinHawaiian likes this.
Old May 11, 2020, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HA PL, Hilton 💎, Marriott Ti, Wyndham/Caesars 💎, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
I'm sure people would rather "quarantine" in a condo as a "new resident" than as a tourist under the watchful eye of hotel staff and be confined to their rooms for 2 weeks.
Hawaii closed down all vacation rentals.
Old May 11, 2020, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by DELee
FYI/FWIW, Saturday's data for arrivals into the State of Hawaii - from BIVN:
Many thanks -- very interesting to see the breakdown.
Old May 11, 2020, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by wchinchen
Sorry, that won't work with the procedures after deplaning into HNL.

If you are a Hawaii resident, the place of quarantine should match your driver license, and they check for this. There are two Sheriff officers on the spot that will enforce any non-compliance or irregular issues. If you are a visitor, they will make sure you have a return ticket back home, and check on your hotel reservation by calling the hotel. All phone numbers will be verified on the spot. Both residents and visitors will get a phone call sometime after arrival.

If information don't match, or there are issues, expect to be on the next return flight.
My DL is my CA address but if I had to I could pull home title docs/bills/etc for Hawaii. I even have a land line at the house but if required to quarantine for 2 weeks at this point I guess I will wait it out until June 1 when I hope the quarantine is lifted That seems to be the local rumor at this time but nothing is obviously certain. My poor local friends in the FBI (food and bev industry) are in a horrible state now. My in laws who make a living with vacation rentals are at the point of selling everything and leaving the state with horrific losses if things don't open up soon. Beyond a sad situation for sure.
Old May 11, 2020, 2:23 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by nomad420
I guess I will wait it out until June 1 when I hope the quarantine is lifted That seems to be the local rumor at this time but nothing is obviously certain.
I'd be shocked if the quarantine is lifted completely by 6/1.... mainly, just because of governor Ige's past statements. He's tough to read and has been all over the map with things he's said but at least once he uttered something about not lifting the quarantine until the fall!

I am starting to see/hear talk of testing people at airports and getting a, "clean health passport" of sorts but it's still just an idea at this point (seems to me this should have been in the works since the start but what do I know?). Unfortunately, antibody testing (to determine who has had the virus and is presumed immune) seems to be fairly inaccurate. At the very soonest, I could see the quarantine being lifted when it's possible to test everyone arriving on the islands for current infection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.